Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Internal candidates have worked time and time again, at least as often as bringing someone in from outside. Everyone on here wants Europe, good football and a team we are proud of. The manager is just part of the equation, and we can't get bogged down in how it looks if it turns out to be right. None of us know, but if we get on the back of the team because it feels conservative then it will be really counter-productive. We are in the unusual situation with a new manager of building from some strength so just want to make sure that any manager understands the strengths and weaknesses more than their own philosophy

I assume you have a list of (fairly) recent examples of internal candidates working time and time again. I can think of Guardiola and Villanova at Barcelona, both of whom happened to inherit three of the top five players on the planet.

It really doesn't seem to work in England anymore. Tony Adams, Ricky Sbragia, Terry Connor, Chris Hutchings and Sammie Lee were all disasters, while Brian McDermott and Chris Hughton did OK but ended up getting sacked.

People are talking as though Moyes has left behind some sort of sustainable, long-term system, when really the club's chances of improving the team is totally reliant on the manager's ability to buy and sell intelligently - even Moyes was forced to go three years without money to spend after wasting almost half of the Lescott money on Bilyaletdinov (I don't think Heitinga was a particularly good buy either, especially considering that Yobo had just been given a huge contract).

Throwing a novice in at the deep end would be disastrous.

Solksjaer or Favre

Why are Solksjaer and Lucien Favre not on the list? The only two I can think of who have consistently over-achieved with the team they've inherited and the budget they've had to work with. Moyes did that but didn't win anything; they've both done it AND won their league or qualified for CL. Favre would be my choice - seems like a decent bloke who has improved every team he's managed and worked his way up through the leagues in Europe. I don't often hear his name mentioned when vacancies come up at CL clubs even though he took Monchengladbach from relegation candidates to CL qualifiers. Don't know whether he'd come, but worth a try.

Definitely not Martinez, Hughes or anyone without full management experience even if they are from within the club. We'd be relegation fodder in 2-3 seasons if we went for any of those. We've got a good team but if Fellaini, Baines and Jags go, we're looking a lot weaker with an aging team. We've got some good young players coming through who will hopefully be given more of a chance now, but if they do well and as a team we don't carry on challenging at the top, those coming through will be snapped up by teams above us.

How many stories has Gregg had published in the echo with the name Martinez in his dispatches... no coincidence i can tell you.

Bill via John Thompson appears to be using Gregg to seed the the plan.

All part of the softening up process.

if you've backed Poyet you won't like this,

Vincente has blasted Brighton boss Gustavo Poyet as “the worst person I’ve come across in football”, whilst also branding him “selfish” and “egocentric”.

Vicente said: “He is the worst person I’ve come across in football. A truly odd and terrible human."

“There are many, many examples. He deceived me when he said I could go home, before forcing me to stay because I refused to say in an interview that he was the best manager I have worked with. Also, I was four months out injured and he wasn’t capable of coming up and asking how I was."

“For me he is a selfish person, very egocentric. I say that because it’s how I feel. He talks as if he is Mourinho. Multiple times he told us that Mourinho was coming to see our match, as a friend to him, and then suddenly his flight was cancelled at the last moment. I wonder if he is even a friend?"

“I won’t talk badly about my team-mates, because they have been fantastic with me. What I think is unacceptable is that the manager makes fun of his players. I’ve seen things here that I have never seen in my career. If you miss with a shot in training, he makes fun and not in a pleasant way. For me, that is unacceptable in football.”

People who don't wan't us to continue with the Moyes model and wan't to undo his 11 years of work with a completely different style of management and football, take a second, and think of why David Moyes has gotten the United job and also think why every other club in Everton's position financially is using Everton as the model of progression/success.

Unfortunately we are never going to get another Moyes so whoever we get will be a step down, but the important think for me is we do maintain the work what has been done, and with the new transfer budget (hopefully) try and push on a bit further, if that is possible.

Why are Solksjaer and Lucien Favre not on the list? The only two I can think of who have consistently over-achieved with the team they've inherited and the budget they've had to work with. Moyes did that but didn't win anything; they've both done it AND won their league or qualified for CL. Favre would be my choice - seems like a decent bloke who has improved every team he's managed and worked his way up through the leagues in Europe. I don't often hear his name mentioned when vacancies come up at CL clubs even though he took Monchengladbach from relegation candidates to CL qualifiers. Don't know whether he'd come, but worth a try.

Interesting shout with Favre. Only finished five points off CL qualification this season.

People who don't wan't us to continue with the Moyes model and wan't to undo his 11 years of work with a completely different style of management and football, take a second, and think of why David Moyes has gotten the United job and also think why every other club in Everton's position financially is using Everton as the model of progression/success.

Unfortunately we are never going to get another Moyes so whoever we get will be a step down, but the important think for me is we do maintain the work what has been done, and with the new transfer budget (hopefully) try and push on a bit further, if that is possible.

With respect we aren't MOYES FC mate.

I friend of mine works at Sky Sports, he said he was talking to Iain Dowie on Thursday night and he said "I would love to have a stab at the Everton Job". I shuddered when my friend told me, at least it will never happen.... WILL IT!

I friend of mine works at Sky Sports, he said he was talking to Iain Dowie on Thursday night and he said "I would love to have a stab at the Everton Job". I shuddered when my friend told me, at least it will never happen.... WILL IT!

NO...

Is this where we are now ? I take your point mate that we want to stabilise it all & its not a criticism of you but there seems to be a belief that's grown up amongst blues that we are at the best we ever could be and I hate the whole mentality . Kenwright promises moyes we won't let him down whilst we seem to asking him what's the best for us , it's not MOYES FC . I heard an interview with Neville where he said he's been told when moyes came to everton all he ever wanted to do was 'be good enough to manage united" . For me that's just amazing and it's totally symptomatic of where we are as a club.

Stabilise (over the long term) is the minimum I'd expect but I'd much rather we strive to better what we've done over recent years , let's have some ambition and drive .

Agreed Sheeds. Although I can understand it's very difficult to live up to our motto of NSNO given the current financial restrictions we face as a club, no Evertonian should ever be satisfied with just maintaining our current status. Surely the objective must always be striving to achieve the absolute maximum.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah*Breathes*Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah

Lucky fella....he must have bumped into natalie sawyer a few times.

Martinez said last w/e he was surprised that Wigan was relegated,when nearly every one else could
See it coming and now a week later he is favourite to take over the 6th placed club in the Premiership, is everyone
Blind ffs

He's a fella who blindly believes in his players, that's a trait that ultimately cost him because his players didn't have enough over the season but it gave them licence to win on the big occasion. A bit more belief wouldn't have hurt Everton this season and it might just be what our group of players need.

I'm not 100% on Martinez but I'd give him better odds at taking us forward than most of the other realistic candidates.

Naturally, if we could nab a top Champions league coach, I'd be all for it. Just can't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.