2023/24 Sean Dyche

Why do we 'need' or 'want' the style to change?

Surely if its effective then we should be happy for it to continue?

The only metric which is poor is finishing.

Where did i write that?

I thought around 12th place. Without the deduction and shocking finishing wed be above that.
Looking at our stats (aside from finishing) we look top 6. Thats it, thats the point.

A pragmatic team put together for barely any money compared with competitiors?

Totally unattractive name, brand & location.

As for Dyche leaving in the summer.

Were 4th now for our defence, 10th down from 8th with injuries for chances created and 2nd for hitting the woodwork.

What places do you think those 3 stats would be next season if we changed manager?

Because without better finishers we wont be climbing the table with anyone.

Does he have "supporters" ?

Or is he building good faith by having good stats (why everyone including me lauded Potter) and getting points on the board?

I wanted Silva to stay, I also wanted us to bring Potter in due to his teams stats. Those stats were very similar to Dyche in terms of everything looking good aside from forwards missing chances.
To be fair Zat you did say we look Top 6.

We really dont look anywhere near top 6.

Looking at our stats (aside from finishing) we look top 6. Thats it, thats the point.

A pragmatic team put together for barely any money compared with competitiors?

Totally unattractive name, brand & location.

As for Dyche leaving in the summer.

Were 4th now for our defence, 10th down from 8th with injuries for chances created and 2nd for hitting the woodwork.

What places do you think those 3 stats would be next season if we changed manager?

Because without better finishers we wont be climbing the table with anyone.

Does he have "supporters" ?

Or is he building good faith by having good stats (why everyone including me lauded Potter) and getting points on the board?

I wanted Silva to stay, I also wanted us to bring Potter in due to his teams stats. Those stats were very similar to Dyche in terms of everything looking good aside from forwards missing chances.
The stats posted this morning were 'big chances created' not 'chances created' Zat, there is a difference between the two. A 'big chance' is basically a shot from the 6 yard box area, literally right on top of the keeper., it's relevant to us due to the amount of set pieces we have and rightly so as we are not bad from them. Our creativity from open play is a different story though, it's poor mate, anyone watching us can see that.

I think the question is what do you expect as of today, and what is the long-term plan. Right now the club needs to stabilize and Dyche is doing a phenomenal job of that. If we are ever to become a top club again, well then we need capital.

Of course we can manage to reach the top 10, if we had not had the points reduction we would have only been 6 points behind Newcastle, and if we had been able to afford players with slightly better quality than at present I am sure that Dyche would have achieved a top 10 position .

But again, in order to regularly be a top club you must have capital, and in addition a dose of competence, not waste the capital on expensive players who have peaked and are prone to injury, or blow the salary budget on mediocre players. A bit like how Manchester United have operated, and we under Moshiri.

Manchester United and ten Hag are an interesting case. Here they have employed a manager who in the Netherlands stood for offensive and expansive football. In PL, on the other hand, you struggle to understand what he wants with the team. The problem is, of course, that in the Netherlands he had players who were generally much better qualitatively than the opponents, and the task mostly consisted of breaking teams down.

In addition, Ajax had good finances and a lot of expertise within the club. At Manchester United, he faces competitors who are stronger and faster, and the same approach that was taken in the Netherlands does not work to dominate in the PL. He realized this quite clearly, and walked away from many of his principles. Unfortunately, there wasn't much substance beneath the surface.

Of course you have clubs like Brighton, who play great (but fairly predictable) football. This is a well-run club, and one that performs above expectations. Last year they had their best season, 6th place and 62 points. That is 3 points more than we had with Ancelotti - then it was enough for 10th place. But it is quite obvious that Brighton, without any major investment, has reached its ceiling. The question is whether, in the long run, they will be able to replace the players who leave for bigger clubs. I think their success is temporary at best.

We all want entertaining football, but we also want success. Entertaining football is subjective, but for me entertaining football is a team that dares to take risks, and that wants to play forward and not sideways and backwards. Teams that give the players freedom, and that don't constantly repeat patterns. It must be something unpredictable.

Teams that are aggressive and constantly want to win the ball. However, if you don't have the fastest, strongest, most technical and creative players, then you will end up like Kevin Keegan. Even Guardiola considers himself a defensive coach, a coach who first and foremost wants to minimize risk, but he does so primarily through the team's technical superiority.

Any good manager will do just that, that is, set up the system and tactics according to the players' best qualities. Not like Lampard, tell Gana, AD, Tarkowski and the rest of the players, go out and express yourselves, create triangles and all the world's geometric shapes to outplay the opponent. A good manager would focus on what to do without the ball, and how to hurt the opposing team when they are off balance and at set pieces. That is what Dyche does. (Too long to read, I know)

The stats posted this morning were 'big chances created' not 'chances created' Zat, there is a difference between the two. A 'big chance' is basically a shot from the 6 yard box area, literally right on top of the keeper., it's relevant to us due to the amount of set pieces we have and rightly so as we are not bad from them. Our creativity from open play is a different story though, it's poor mate, anyone watching us can see that.

Im afraid you have to take the good with the bad. Esp from dyche. Which again i think most people expected. Did i hear right on sat we conceded our first goal from a corner? Even though we'd cleared the corner first. I can remember for a few years we conceded at almost every corner.
There is a whole different debate about style. But i'll repeat that if no points deduction, which is out of his hands, he'd be and possibly already done exactly what he'd been brought here to do. Keep the club up. Or have a misjudged what his objective was. I dunno.
The clubs a shambles on so many levels. If theres someone out there that can operate the playing side with no money. No owners. Points deductions. Years of poor recruitment. And have the team playing attractive football away from trouble. Then im all for getting them in.

Give the man adversity and he will build you a club.

I know it will go to Klopp, Pep or Emery.

But if we are still in the PL next year, Dyche is manager of the year for me, unbelievable what hes had to deal with here.

Needs to be appreciated rather then accepted.
He's dealt with the adversity exteremly well and that's for everything that's public. Can you imagine what's going on behind closed doors there during our worst moments?

He's dealt with the adversity exteremly well and that's for everything that's public. Can you imagine what's going on behind closed doors there during our worst moments?
I kinda get the impression, not much. At least not at Finch Farm.
Maybe in lawyers offices in London or in the Liver building
But I'd pretty much imagine Dyche and his team have the run of FF. He's probably the first manager to have that in a long time.

Im afraid you have to take the good with the bad. Esp from dyche. Which again i think most people expected. Did i hear right on sat we conceded our first goal from a corner? Even though we'd cleared the corner first. I can remember for a few years we conceded at almost every corner.
There is a whole different debate about style. But i'll repeat that if no points deduction, which is out of his hands, he'd be and possibly already done exactly what he'd been brought here to do. Keep the club up. Or have a misjudged what his objective was. I dunno.
The clubs a shambles on so many levels. If theres someone out there that can operate the playing side with no money. No owners. Points deductions. Years of poor recruitment. And have the team playing attractive football away from trouble. Then im all for getting them in.
Dyche just needs to concentrate on the team, the other stuff is the same stuff he himself was calling 'noise' earlier on in the season but now he seems to mention it more. We knew what we were getting when we signed up with him at the end of the day and providing we stay in the league then he has done his job, I think he was only ever brought as a stop gap till BMD anyway, I'm pretty sure his contract runs out at the end of next season. I do think there are some tactical tweaks he could make to gameplay/setup that might make us a bit more of a threat, but the main thing is staying up this season. Id actually probably sooner boot Thelwell before Dyche, don't rate him at all.

Give the man adversity and he will build you a club.

I know it will go to Klopp, Pep or Emery.

But if we are still in the PL next year, Dyche is manager of the year for me, unbelievable what hes had to deal with here.

Needs to be appreciated rather then expected.
I think this is either under appreciated or just ignored. It is difficult to win games in the PL at the best of times. Given all the problems, weak squad, injuries, points deductions, chaos at owner/board level, ongoing change of ownership of the club etc. etc. it is amazing we have gathered as many points as we have given we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth the previous two seasons.

I think this is either under appreciated or just ignored. It is difficult to win games in the PL at the best of times. Given all the problems, weak squad, injuries, points deductions, chaos at owner/board level, ongoing change of ownership of the club etc. etc. it is amazing we have gathered as many points as we have given we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth the previous two seasons.

I think real football people know mate, i saw i think it was the Luton manager come out and say how much he admired how Dyche has dealt with everything, its the toughest job in the league this season and that's following saving our skins last year.

Dyche just needs to concentrate on the team, the other stuff is the same stuff he himself was calling 'noise' earlier on in the season but now he seems to mention it more. We knew what we were getting when we signed up with him at the end of the day and providing we stay in the league then he has done his job, I think he was only ever brought as a stop gap till BMD anyway, I'm pretty sure his contract runs out at the end of next season. I do think there are some tactical tweaks he could make to gameplay/setup that might make us a bit more of a threat, but the main thing is staying up this season. Id actually probably sooner boot Thelwell before Dyche, don't rate him at all.

Well to be fair to him i think he does. But he's going to be asked questions on the off field stuff.
Im no lover of dyche. But you cant just sweep under the carpet all the other stuff. Its to easy to just go ignore it. As a group. You've earned points. Had them taken away. Got a few back. Maybe losing a few more.
Its hardly ideal preperation.