2023/24 Amadou Onana

Stats, Titus? I am not interested in stats they can prove or disprove anything, I let my eyes tell me what a player does or doesn’t do and Onana doesn’t do enough, there is plenty for him to do in that department——plenty!

Aye, those pesky stats getting in the way of your opinion, eh? I used those stats after your 'He makes as many poor tackles and passes as the good ones' wham because it's simply untrue.

I use stats to add context to what I see on the pitch. We're a better side with him than without IMO. He keeps the ball moving, wins tackles and interceptions and adds an aerial presence to the midfield. Of course there are areas for improvement in him... find me a 22 year old where that isn't the case.

You don't like him, that's fair enough, I just can't work out why.

Aye, those pesky stats getting in the way of your opinion, eh? I used those stats after your 'He makes as many poor tackles and passes as the good ones' wham because it's simply untrue.

I use stats to add context to what I see on the pitch. We're a better side with him than without IMO. He keeps the ball moving, wins tackles and interceptions and adds an aerial presence to the midfield. Of course there are areas for improvement in him... find me a 22 year old where that isn't the case.

You don't like him, that's fair enough, I just can't work out why.
I can see why you think he will be a very good player in the future,I’m more interested in what he does now and I don’t see the player you see, No I don’t think we are a better team with him in it but I see a big difference when Gana Gueye isn’t playing and that applies to Doucoure even with all his faults.

I can see why you think he will be a very good player in the future,I’m more interested in what he does now and I don’t see the player you see, No I don’t think we are a better team with him in it but I see a big difference when Gana Gueye isn’t playing and that applies to Doucoure even with all his faults.

Yea I agree, and it's a big issue... Zero strength in depth. Gana, Doucoure and Onana (in my opinion) when in their favoured positions is probably our best midfield 3. But as soon as one is out, the shuffle around/replacements leave us weaker.

Yea I agree, and it's a big issue... Zero strength in depth. Gana, Doucoure and Onana (in my opinion) when in their favoured positions is probably our best midfield 3. But as soon as one is out, the shuffle around/replacements leave us weaker.
Yes I definitely agree with “ Zero strength in depth” being the problem, as for the best central midfield we all have our favourites to start and being honest I wouldn’t leave James Garner out of the team, can we use one of them in another position?

Yes I definitely agree with “ Zero strength in depth” being the problem, as for the best central midfield we all have our favourites to start and being honest I wouldn’t leave James Garner out of the team, can we use one of them in another position?
I posted these the other day and Garner is the only midfielder who contributes in both phases of play so he has to be in there somewhere imo. No Onana on either list.

I posted these the other day and Garner is the only midfielder who contributes in both phases of play so he has to be in there somewhere imo. No Onana on either list.

Well I have to say Simon, again, that I’m not interested in stats, they really can be used to prove or disprove most things, but I do think all the Everton players mentioned there have played well this season, just using my eyes.

Fair point, but Onana's biggest quality for us is his ability to receive the ball deep and progress it up the pitch. We don't have anyone else who can do that well. This wouldn't be reflected in any of those tackling/intercept/chance creation metrics.

I appreciate the stats, I think Garner always looks to affect the game he's just struggling a little. He looks far more comfortable with Onana for me.

Obviously though stats are nothing compared to Camerons eyes!

Is he carrying a knock or something?

I'm forever seeing him linked with moves to all the top sides, but he doesn't appear to be able to get a game for Everton.