Match Thread Everton v Manchester City - Team Prediction, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those city fans are disgusting... absolutely horrible... they ruin this lovely game. Imagine feeling proud beating a team who has double the history than your transfer fees. On to the next one blues

That was a great effort, for most of the game we completed with the World Club Champions, if not in procession in terms of goals scored. Man. City were always going to get a dodgy decision, it is the Premier League after all. If Onana deliberately handled that ball then he should be a goalkeeper.
For all their procession Man City beat us with a bad penalty decision and poor goal keeping.

Good in the first half then in the second half it was all far too narrow and compact and just invited the inevitable.
Yeah, felt like Dyche decided at half-time to just try to hold on to what we had rather than to continue the aggression that had worked so well in the first half. I know the penalty is going to get all the attention, but we were already well pinned in our own box by that point (which is why that play happened), because we were definitely laying off them and giving them more space. Whether that was tactical or a result of fatigue might be debatable, but City had all the time in the world to do whatever they wanted, and it was only going to go one way with that eventually.

And then to counter that issue by removing a midfielder for a defender? And at the same time that Pep was bringing on fresh legs in that very spot. That kind of looked like a move for damage limitation almost, as it destroyed what little chance we had left of building any proper attacks. Really frustrating sub for me. Only hope from that point was just heaving it up top as usual, which was never going to work here.

I kind of understand the Beto start, as I'm sure the idea was to run at the City back line more from the get-go, given that they do play a rather high line. And Beto's probably better at getting in behind than Dom. But it's become pretty clear that he cannot hold up the ball with any regularity at all. Not so great in the air for a big man. So whenever we hoofed it up to him, it just came right back, because of his heavy touch or loss of a contested header. Finishing aside, that part of the game is where Dom is clearly missed when he's not in. Just made us expend even more energy chasing City around in the first half, which may have contributed to getting overrun there early in the second.

Felt like a lot of good work was undone there - and 3-1 was pretty harsh. Still, many will lose to them, and plenty of games left to pick up points (if officials let us). UTFT.

For me, how can half the city team race to the referee demanding a penalty without a sanction? There wasn’t a blue shirt in view and the ref got bullied into the decision. We might us well make it a tactic to constantly swarm the referee until the make a decision in our favour. It’s a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.