Relegation 23/24 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important to back up this maiden home win with another soon. Only one home game in next month so that's an issue.

Lampard followed up the Palace 3-0 by losing next to Leicester and Wolves which should've finished him off before the other defeats.

Brighton, Man. United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Man. City and Villa is the home run up to February so I'd reserve judgement for a little while longer. Can team score more than 1 goal v any of those?

Horrible run of home games that, and we don’t win anywhere near enough away (something like 5 wins in 46). After that disgrace last week, we had to win today.

From our fixtures, I don’t think it’s harsh to say 7 points is a poor return. We have wasted some of our most winnable games, so we are going to have to have a few surprise results like in the Brentford game.

We are definitely capable of doing that and getting enough points. This season we are better going forward, which isn’t saying much considering last season we had Maupay as lone striker for most of it.

From our fixtures, I don’t think it’s harsh to say 7 points is a poor return. We have wasted some of our most winnable games, so we are going to have to have a few surprise results like in the Brentford game.

We are definitely capable of doing that and getting enough points. This season we are better going forward, which isn’t saying much considering last season we had Maupay as lone striker for most of it.

It's a rubbish return. We've played the worst 3 teams in the league and 2 others who could feasibly be in relegation trouble, with 4 of those games being at home.

Like we know, we should have had more wins based on the level of our oerformances, and that is something to absolutely hold on to, but the win today - albeit very pleasing - was an absolute must just to keep our heads above water for the time being, going into some harder games.

Fulham doing okay this season and we had no striker, so whatever. Wolves aren't completely awful either although still should have won.

Should never have lost to Luton though. That's the big one that has seen us still linger around the bottom rightfully so but I think there's a clear bottom 4 and I don't think we're in it at current.

Luton/Bournemouth/Sheffield/Burnley (No order).

We'll need to still pinch a few games from those in the top 10 or scrap a lot of draws from them to make up for some of the lower losses but I think we'll be okay this season if we continue in the direction we're heading.

We will survive, comfortably. It will be a crap season, but it won't be full of the same drama as the last couple. Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton are the worst set of promoted sides I've seen in a long, long time.

And I know we're renowned for saying this early and the landscape changing. But what redeeming quality do any of these sides have? The only argument you could maybe make is for Burnley because of the age of their squad + Kompany. But nah. They're a blunt instrument and the league is too good to go toe-to-toe with teams.

There have been some moans about how there's no clear "patterns of play" but Dyche is obviously working on the fundamentals during the week because the squad is complete bereft of technical talent. It isn't pretty but it's absolutely necessary for where we are right now.

It's a poor return, but we deserved a lot more.

Ultimately there are 4 awful teams, 3 if them probably don't get to 25 points this season, so we will be fine.

Bournemouth are woeful.

Important to back up this maiden home win with another soon. Only one home game in next month so that's an issue.

Lampard followed up the Palace 3-0 by losing next to Leicester and Wolves which should've finished him off before the other defeats.

Brighton, Man. United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Man. City and Villa is the home run up to February so I'd reserve judgement for a little while longer. Can team score more than 1 goal v any of those?

As tough as that run looks on paper. And yeah I'd say we are underdogs for all of them. However United and Chelsea are pretty poor compared to days gone by. Villa and Brighton we've shown quality against in our last away performances against them, so who knows. Newcastle look good, but I still don't think they are quite the finished article and could be got at if we turn up and they don't. City is the only one I'd be completely resigned to defeat.

Why couldn’t we just have beat Luton like any half decent club would have at home. We would be 7 clear tonight. Today was must win because as people have mentioned we have a really tough run coming and have wasted some really big opportunities to put early points on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.