Edson Buddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kay would give Coby Jones a shot too, as long as she see's the Stars and Stripes, I thought signing Gibson depressed me, debating over this Amateur is razor blade material

Kay would give Coby Jones a shot too, as long as she see's the Stars and Stripes, I thought signing Gibson depressed me, debating over this Amateur is razor blade material

If signing gibson depressed you, you are a very sad man. Seeing neville in midfield instead of a real midfielder, now thats something to sadden you.

If signing gibson depressed you, you are a very sad man. Seeing neville in midfield instead of a real midfielder, now thats something to sadden you.

neville is shocking i grant you but how far have we fallen a couple of years ago we were after mountinho and now its gibson

The thing that puts me off with this guy more than anything is his age. If he was playing for a second league German team and had done well for the Galaxy but was only 24 then i could see him improving given the right training and support. But a 30 year old ? Even if he does turn out to be decent he'll have a couple of years before age starts to take its toll anyway.

I'd rather sign an unknown youngster. Having said that, i'll reserve judgement. I'm not like some people on here who like to make sweeping statements about players they've barely even seen kick a ball.

The thing that puts me off with this guy more than anything is his age. If he was playing for a second league German team and had done well for the Galaxy but was only 24 then i could see him improving given the right training and support. But a 30 year old ? Even if he does turn out to be decent he'll have a couple of years before age starts to take its toll anyway.

I'd rather sign an unknown youngster. Having said that, i'll reserve judgement. I'm not like some people on here who like to make sweeping statements about players they've barely even seen kick a ball.

exactly, even if was 27/28 he would have chance of improving, but my heart sank once heard he was 30, plop

There is a lot of ignorance being spewed here.

First off, Buddle wasn't signed by Birmingham last year because he couldn't get a work permit. That still could have been the problem with West Ham. Acquiring a work permit has been difficult for him because you need to be a regular international for a while, which he wasn't since the U.S.' previous manager insisted on a speed forward to stretch the defense and counter-attack, so he used Robbie Findley more regularly instead. As a result Finley was eligible for a work permit, and Nottingham Forest signed him. If you just compare the two players on ability, it's not even close, Buddle is the vastly superior player. He's far better scoring with his head, feet, and is the better passer because of his superior football I.Q. As a result it was always a source of frustration to most U.S. fans that Findley started over Buddle. But because he did, Findley got the better club opportunity. You can't put all stock in club affiliation as a result, unless you think U.S. managers are world class. If so, the next time you have a managerial opening I expect the name Bob Bradley to be bandied about.

Secondly, the reason why Buddle ended up a club like Ingolstadt, was at the time they were buried in the Bundesliga II, they desperately wanted to survive, so they spent a decent amount of money at midseason on that objective, and Buddle took advantage so he could gain financial security after years toiling in MLS on modest wages. The move worked for Ingolstadt as they were much better on the field w/ him allowing them to avoid relegation, and it worked for Buddle from a short-term financial standpoint. However, it hasn't worked from a career standpoint because he has feuded with the coach this season, he's not playing for much of importance, and his goal record doesn't exactly make him appear to be a player who could compete in the EPL. But what do you expect him to do when his team has significant possession disadvantages and provides the service of a bottom level BL II bottom-feeder, score 20 goals? He had the highest scoring rate on the team, without taking PK's. He's done better than anyone else in a situation that doesn't fit his skills. At Everton he'd get MUCH better service, especially whilst teaming back up with Donovan who as you've seen is among the better crossers in the league, and Buddle has the heading ability Cahill used to possess to take advantage.

You should hope that Everton lawyers can obtain a work permit for Buddle because Moyes knows more than the posters here. This is a very shrewd move he's attempting to make on a tight budget to improve your woeful striking. Moyes is a smart guy. He's stated before that work permits have drastically limited opportunities for American footballers in England and he would have signed many more over the years if it weren't for that barrier. He's not a follower.

Is because hes Sh1te

Is because hes Sh1te

What does that make Saha then? lol

Us Americans that watch the Premiere League and also the MLS, we saw the quality in Buddle. He was the best striker in the US for a few years running. Galaxy fans like myself were gutted when he left, he outshone all others on the club his last year, including Landy. Of course Landon can play in the Premiere League, Buddle has to prove himself. But he's no worse than what we've done at striker this season, if he could buy us a year on the cheap, give us time to gather funds for a younger striker, why not give him a look?

By the way, I'd play Vic over Saha right now. Give Buddle a chance though, he's not rubbish and he's got a huge heart.

What does that make Saha then? lol

Us Americans that watch the Premiere League and also the MLS, we saw the quality in Buddle. He was the best striker in the US for a few years running. Galaxy fans like myself were gutted when he left, he outshone all others on the club his last year, including Landy. Of course Landon can play in the Premiere League, Buddle has to prove himself. But he's no worse than what we've done at striker this season, if he could buy us a year on the cheap, give us time to gather funds for a younger striker, why not give him a look?

By the way, I'd play Vic over Saha right now. Give Buddle a chance though, he's not rubbish and he's got a huge heart.

i hope you are right about Bootle. i would welcome him right away...ntw...you are right about Saha. he is susipaska right now

There goes the PL neighborhood. It's a damn MLS invasion!

Grant Wahl @GrantWahl
Who says this transfer window is slow? Not for MLS--@soccerbyives reports Philly's Sébastien Le Toux in England, could be sold to Bolton.

There goes the PL neighborhood. It's a damn MLS invasion!

Grant Wahl @GrantWahl
Who says this transfer window is slow? Not for MLS--@soccerbyives reports Philly's Sébastien Le Toux in England, could be sold to Bolton.

Le Toux in the PL? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.