Edson Buddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of ignorance being spewed here.

First off, Buddle wasn't signed by Birmingham last year because he couldn't get a work permit. That still could have been the problem with West Ham. Acquiring a work permit has been difficult for him because you need to be a regular international for a while, which he wasn't since the U.S.' previous manager insisted on a speed forward to stretch the defense and counter-attack, so he used Robbie Findley more regularly instead. As a result Finley was eligible for a work permit, and Nottingham Forest signed him. If you just compare the two players on ability, it's not even close, Buddle is the vastly superior player. He's far better scoring with his head, feet, and is the better passer because of his superior football I.Q. As a result it was always a source of frustration to most U.S. fans that Findley started over Buddle. But because he did, Findley got the better club opportunity. You can't put all stock in club affiliation as a result, unless you think U.S. managers are world class. If so, the next time you have a managerial opening I expect the name Bob Bradley to be bandied about.

Secondly, the reason why Buddle ended up a club like Ingolstadt, was at the time they were buried in the Bundesliga II, they desperately wanted to survive, so they spent a decent amount of money at midseason on that objective, and Buddle took advantage so he could gain financial security after years toiling in MLS on modest wages. The move worked for Ingolstadt as they were much better on the field w/ him allowing them to avoid relegation, and it worked for Buddle from a short-term financial standpoint. However, it hasn't worked from a career standpoint because he has feuded with the coach this season, he's not playing for much of importance, and his goal record doesn't exactly make him appear to be a player who could compete in the EPL. But what do you expect him to do when his team has significant possession disadvantages and provides the service of a bottom level BL II bottom-feeder, score 20 goals? He had the highest scoring rate on the team, without taking PK's. He's done better than anyone else in a situation that doesn't fit his skills. At Everton he'd get MUCH better service, especially whilst teaming back up with Donovan who as you've seen is among the better crossers in the league, and Buddle has the heading ability Cahill used to possess to take advantage.

You should hope that Everton lawyers can obtain a work permit for Buddle because Moyes knows more than the posters here. This is a very shrewd move he's attempting to make on a tight budget to improve your woeful striking. Moyes is a smart guy. He's stated before that work permits have drastically limited opportunities for American footballers in England and he would have signed many more over the years if it weren't for that barrier. He's not a follower.

Give the Governor a harumph!!! Get on with yourself. Well posted.

Made me sad again.

This will make you happy...and sad.

From Greg Seltzer of No Short Corners - a gentleman who follows Americans and is connected. Aka, this is sauce:
I have now confirmed that West Ham United are indeed hanging about to see what happens with Edson Buddle's Everton trial. That is all.

Pro: We are not the only ones interested (add in Birmingham wanted to sign too), there's some talent here.
Con: We are not the only ones interested.
Pro: We have LD and Tim Howard.
Con: They have more money. (And fellow American George John, but Buddle hasn't met him.)
Pro: We are Everton.

Overall message to West Ham - finders keepers, losers weepers!

Imagine a couple of seasons back and someone tells you we're going to sign a veteran MLS player from some backwater outfit no one's ever heard of outside of Bavaria and he'd be getting rave reviews and a red carpet thrown out to him as a possible saviour for Everton's season. I'm sorry, I know the Americans on here are desperate to see another one of their own get in a blue shirt, but this is beyond the pale. And that stuff above explaining why Buddle hasn't even made a dent in Bundesliga 2 defences takes the biscuit. He hasn't scored because the quality of team mates around him is poor...well, so too our the opposition defences at that level, presumably.

In any case, I think this might just be a case of running down the transfer window clock by Everton - giving mugs like us something to mull over while the end of January hurtles toward us withiut the club bringing in another striker.

Imagine a couple of seasons back and someone tells you we're going to sign a veteran MLS player from some backwater outfit no one's ever heard of outside of Bavaria and he'd be getting rave reviews and a red carpet thrown out to him as a possible saviour for Everton's season. I'm sorry, I know the Americans on here are desperate to see another one of their own get in a blue shirt, but this is beyond the pale. And that stuff above explaining why Buddle hasn't even made a dent in Bundesliga 2 defences takes the biscuit. He hasn't scored because the quality of team mates around him is poor...well, so too our the opposition defences at that level, presumably.

In any case, I think this might just be a case of running down the transfer window clock by Everton - giving mugs like us something to mull over while the end of January hurtles toward us withiut the club bringing in another striker.

First, last I checked no one is "throwing out a red carpet."

Second, give us Americans some credit. The vast majority of us on here are not saying he's THE SAVIOR but that we want to see how he does in his trial. None of us are sacrificing Everton just to see an American in a shirt. We first and foremost support Everton. We have zero interest in hiring Robbie Findley or Chris Wondolowski right now.

I don't see how a legitimate explanation "takes the biscuit." And he HAS scored.

First, last I checked no one is "throwing out a red carpet."

Second, give us Americans some credit. The vast majority of us on here are not saying he's THE SAVIOR but that we want to see how he does in his trial. None of us are sacrificing Everton just to see an American in a shirt. We first and foremost support Everton. We have zero interest in hiring Robbie Findley or Chris Wondolowski right now.

I don't see how a legitimate explanation "takes the biscuit." And he HAS scored.

Kay, I'm not challenging your claim that you only want the best for the club, but identity gets mixed up on decisions like this. He's familiar to you, so you are going to put his case forward. It's only natural. If this feller was from Korea you wouldn't make the case as strongly - if at all. And if he wasn't in the same stable as Donovan and Howard he wouldn't be on trial.

I have nothing against him; if he can work a £10-15,000 pw pay cheque out of Everton then more fool Everton and congratulations to him for landing such a deal in the twilight of his career.

Kay, I'm not challenging your claim that you only want the best for the club, but identity gets mixed up on decisions like this. He's familiar to you, so you are going to put his case forward. It's only natural. If this feller was from Korea you wouldn't make the case as strongly - if at all. And if he wasn't in the same stable as Donovan and Howard he wouldn't be on trial.

I have nothing against him; if he can work a £10-15,000 pw pay cheque out of Everton then more fool Everton and congratulations to him for landing such a deal in the twilight of his career.

Got it. But he's partly familiar to me because I watched him for 1+ years at the club level. If he was Korean and I watched him on the Galaxy I would have an opinion on him too and make the case for him. He just happens to be American and so we've watched him on the national team as well. So, we get a double whammy.

Similar to Gibbo, I'm willing to give the dude a chance rather than calling us fools at the get go. You don't know much about him and you're not taking some content from those that do.

But to each his own. Again, we shall see how he does...he may not impress. But the fact that other clubs are interested says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.