Transfer Rumour El Billal Toure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is looking for that. If you set the bar at £10M then you're gonna see a very disappointing window even by Everton standards.

Almeira paid £8M which is ideally where we'd all like Everton to be coming in but until a player is appearing in a top league with international honours for a high ranking side or playing in continental level competition it can be very difficult to ensure a UK work permit outside of an appeal. Mali have only just entered the top 50 and Bilal has zero games at European or similar continental competition under his belt.

That could be what stops a lot of these transfers taking place earlier in players careers when it comes to UK clubs. The fact that his value is now much higher also works in favour when it comes to points required for a permit. If we're going in for players at a similar stage of development (and value) when Almeira did Bilal it could likely be a situation similar to that of Onyekuru with a potentially good player being farmed out on loan due to permit issues - that's not something that helps with the current issues in the squad so those types of player aren't the wisest use of limited funds right now.

Even the rightly vaunted Brighton way involves them often dropping £10-£15m on players who spend a couple of years out on loan but don't work out in the end. But people just see the bargains who move on for big money as the narrative is that they never get it wrong.
No doubt it's a crowded marketplace and without going off topic Brexit hasn't helped us. Maybe Thelwell could find someone in the Championship as Brentford did. Windows are never fun.

In the binary argument of do I want to sign a good player for less money or more money, anyone would choose less money.

I guess the point I'm getting at though is these players aren't cheap as people can see their talent and they're coveted and watched by top teams all around Europe.

I'm sure some boring get is gonna tell me "well Brighton signed such and such for 20p", not bothered, that's a scouting network that has been set up over years and years with zero pressure to be at an elite level for most of that time.

We'll at the very least, make our money back with Onana. That's why paying a higher fee for him wasn't as risky for us as you might think, even with our financial troubles.

The same applies to this kid imo.
To be honest we've not been at the elite level ourselves for a very long time. We seem to be able to find defenders like Stones and Branthwaite but wide players and midfielders not so much. Going to be interesting to see what happens with Onana this window. Although you get the feeling if there is a profit it'll go towards BM.

Only the same as Onana, isn’t it?

Lille agreed to instalments for Onana, with a sell on included.

If Almería are happy with their benefits, then why wouldn’t they do business?

It's good for them, gives them more financial security having guaranteed payments for 4 years rather than agreeing to a lower total fee upfront.

Think, just like Onana, this is one of them were it's likely all down to the player and where he'd prefer to go rather than how we're reported to have structured the deal being a barrier.

To be honest we've not been at the elite level ourselves for a very long time. We seem to be able to find defenders like Stones and Branthwaite but wide players and midfielders not so much. Going to be interesting to see what happens with Onana this window. Although you get the feeling if there is a profit it'll go towards BM.

that’s the way to run a football club!

Status
Not open for further replies.