Summer transfer window 2023

The Valencia keeper isnt far off Pickfords level at 22. The Anderlecht keeper isnt as good of course but doesnt look like he'd flop.

If nothing changes then we'll be in the same position in 12months. Or selling top young players to destroy our future.

Roll the dice and dont be afraid of change.

You can't know this unless you watch someone loads. You can't tell me you watch a lot of Valencia games. Which I know you don't as you didn't know anything about Yunus Musah.

You do not just roll the dice on your goalkeeper when you avoided relegated the last day.

You can't know this unless you watch someone loads. You can't tell me you watch a lot of Valencia games. Which I know you don't as you didn't know anything about Yunus Musah.

You do not just roll the dice on your goalkeeper when you avoided relegated the last day.

Absolutely crazy.

I know Zat loves to be woke with suggesting left field pre-teens as a solution for right winger, but the idea of selling one of the biggest contributors to this club not going down is absolutely mental.

Absolutely crazy.

I know Zat loves to be woke with suggesting left field pre-teens as a solution for right winger, but the idea of selling one of the biggest contributors to this club not going down is absolutely mental.

I agree in the premise that if we are like ridiculously screwed financially we can only sell him and Onana for money but Pickford but be the very last resort and frankly if we're in the that sort of position we aren't staving off relegation long.

Which I completely get and to the best part agree, particularly if you aren't a top level club.

However you're asking to remove a key component of a struggling team where he has been an oustanding contributor to us not being a league below. It's not like we have a replacement ready to go or a track record of a solid replacement being lined up. We have literally the opposite.

I would love us to get to the position of being able to cash in at the right time knowing we'll have it covered by the understudy, or a player coming in. However history tells us we dont.

Comparining Onana situation to Rice doesn't work, Rice has been a mainstay in their team and is much more a rounded footballer. Onana hasn't been vital to us staying up this season, at least nowhere near the levels of others. YES in an ideal world we keep Onana for 2/3 years, develop him and sell him for profit, but if we have to sell-to-buy, Onana is the one you know you'll get a solid big fee for, without damaging the team as much as losing Pickford would be.

People underestimate just how important the goalkeeper is. The big question is, would we replace him adequetely?, or more so do we trust the club to replace him adequetely?

Absolutely not.

I meant if West Ham sold Rice 4 years ago. Where Onana is now is where Rice was then...

...although Rice hadnt pushed out players like Tielemans or Witzel from the national team.

The fact is, not wanting change and being frightened of it...is why the club has been failing.

"He's been a good servant" or "hes saved us" is great when you dont mind failing.

When you look back at successful teams, the ones who get stuck or fall off their perch (like United incredibly) are those who hold onto players too long.

The whole way FFP is designed is to favour selling clubs. Now is the time to sell.

Both of course around the same age as Pickford.

The question is, who are the next world class keepers who should be superior to Ederson/Allison's quality?

Mamardashvili at 22 or Verbruggen at 20 would be the ones imo.

Roll the dice and bring one in and put the rest of the Pickford mondy towards goalscorers.

The young replacement could be instantly as good as Pickford, if not better.

Instantly better than Pickford? Do you really think that?

We really shouldn't be thinking of selling one of the best goalkeepers in the Prem in his prime. We would end up with two ropey Championship strikers and a keeper on a par with those Leeds and Leicester jokers. We sold a world-class striker in Lukaku and a world-class defender in Stones and never used the money to transform the squad, so why would it be any different with Pickford?

If we have learned anything from the past two miserable seasons, it must be that we need to keep our best players - Pickford kept us with his penalty save against Leicester, and his save against Bournemouth, as he did last season with one of the best saves I have aver seen against Chelsea.
It would madness to sell him. Let's get rid of all the dross instead.

I actually havent seen him "loads" but ive seen him enough. Musah i actually said i cant see what the fuss is about...hes lightweight with limited end product.

Like i said Garner was a good all rounder, Dumfries wasnt a premier league right back or that we should have been linked with Palhinha and not Nunes.

Some things like these can be right or wrong and Pickford is quality...but so could the next keeper be...

...whats the plan to replace Pickford in 4 or 5 seasons?

Just keep him like Baines and Coleman until he retires then not be able to afford a replacement?
I agree in the premise that if we are like ridiculously screwed financially we can only sell him and Onana for money but Pickford but be the very last resort and frankly if we're in the that sort of position we aren't staving off relegation long.

What if the next keeper is better?

Instantly better than Pickford? Do you really think that?

We really shouldn't be thinking of selling one of the best goalkeepers in the Prem in his prime. We would end up with two ropey Championship strikers and a keeper on a par with those Leeds and Leicester jokers. We sold a world-class striker in Lukaku and a world-class defender in Stones and never used the money to transform the squad, so why would it be any different with Pickford?

If we have learned anything from the past two miserable seasons, it must be that we need to keep our best players - Pickford kept us with his penalty save against Leicester, and his save against Bournemouth, as he did last season with one of the best saves I have aver seen against Chelsea.
It would madness to sell him. Let's get rid of all the dross instead.

1: Why cant the next keeper be as good or better than Pickford?

2: Why cant selling Pickford and signing a replacement and a goalscorer affect the team more than keeping him?

3: How much can we sell Coleman for? Hes 34 and was fine last season but wasnt for 3 or 4 years prior. When Pickford starts losing his reflex speed people will want a new keeper, but what if he stays until retirement?

Hes a top keeper. But long term hes going to drop performance level and value.

You should ALWAYS sell players in their prime at top whack unless youre a top 4 team.

2: Why cant selling Pickford and signing a replacement and a goalscorer affect the team more than keeping him?

3: How much can we sell Coleman for? Hes 34 and was fine last season but wasnt for 3 or 4 years prior. When Pickford starts losing his reflex speed people will want a new keeper, but what if he stays until retirement?

You should ALWAYS sell players in their prime at top whack unless youre a top 4 team.
Pickford is just about to come in to his prime.

Do not sell.

All people saying sell pickford and get a young gk look at leeds is a massive risk for me. Would be hard to turn down money if it was something crazy like 50 million. Plus he is 29 still has alot of football to play

But again, we have a club who have consistently shown either an inability to identify enough talent, or lack the appropriate planning to get them signed (or both). Until the club are able to prove that they are capable of regularly acquiring talent, it would be madness to ship out one of our few top players.

My ideal would be to move him on next year, having built the side to a level where we can take that risk, it's not really about moving him on now or at 33-34. Lots of other possibilities. If you genuinely believe we wouldn't still get decent money for him next season, you are mad.

Say we could get £10m more for him this summer than next, so we sell, buy a player or 2 who are young and a GK who isn't as good and we finally get what's coming to us and go down, what then? Probably lose the young players we've invested in anyway and have lost considerably more than £10m. It's not about being frightened of change - we absolutely need to change, we are diabolical - but we need to plan very carefully how we go about it, or we end up like Leicester.

Both of course around the same age as Pickford.

The question is, who are the next world class keepers who should be superior to Ederson/Allison's quality?

Mamardashvili at 22 or Verbruggen at 20 would be the ones imo.

Roll the dice and bring one in and put the rest of the Pickford mondy towards goalscorers.

The young replacement could be instantly as good as Pickford, if not better.

I don't think we've sold Pickford Zat.

I meant if West Ham sold Rice 4 years ago. Where Onana is now is where Rice was then...

...although Rice hadnt pushed out players like Tielemans or Witzel from the national team.

The fact is, not wanting change and being frightened of it...is why the club has been failing.

"He's been a good servant" or "hes saved us" is great when you dont mind failing.

When you look back at successful teams, the ones who get stuck or fall off their perch (like United incredibly) are those who hold onto players too long.

The whole way FFP is designed is to favour selling clubs. Now is the time to sell.
No. The literal cause of our downfall was trying to change too much, too quickly.

it’s been high turnover at strategic, management and playing levels.

It’s the number one cause of this whole mess.