Toxic rival fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
A club that is still integral to its local community with a highly concentrated local support base

For the Sky 6 success has come at a price. Prawn sandwiches, cheese rooms, half and half scarfs. It is a diluted experience. Look at the RS when they experienced a little adversity under Hodgson their attendances started to drop as people from Denmark no longer wanted to make the journey. Same thing happened to Arsenal a couple of years back when they were struggling. They still reported sell outs but some season ticket holders stopped turning up. We have been served up poo on a stick for large parts of the last 30 years. The last two seasons back to back relegation battles yet we have still been filling a stadium that has thousands of restricted view seats. The support should be proud. It also highlights how important it is that the transition to the new stadium is done properly to ensure we don’t lose our soul
This also happened under Benitez before he won them the CL.

I remember them getting a crowd of just 32,000 in a midweek PL match against Portsmouth at Anfield.

This is my take as to why we are loathed so much by the more hostile opposition fans:

We were vehemently opposed to the European Super League plans of the 'elite' clubs, we are the only club with a Liverpool-born majority in terms of match-going fans (anti-Scouse bigotry is prevalent amongst some fanbases) and we are seen as having ideas above our station because we know we are a big club and yet we haven't enjoyed success in recent years. Having said that, I've never heard anyone attack Spurs for claiming to be part of the 'big 6'. They're SEVEN league titles behind us and only started getting higher attendances than us in the last few years, yet no one says they're deluded.

I looked at loads west ham, spurs Arsenal ect just out of boredom.
Quite like the millwall one actually, dont like us at all , just had a look because I was talking to some cockney fellas on holidays few weeks ago and they were on about millwall not liking us, they were a mixed bag of Chelsea , Spurs, and Arsenal , asked me what u thought of them , stuck in my mind so had a lurk on the forum.
Not a bad read at all.
North stand or something it was called.
I used to live in Forest Hill (South London, not too far from Bermondsey home of Millwall). There was a horrible pub I used to watch football in called the Bird in Hand. I was challenged by the locals when I first went in about my football allegiances. They said it was a ‘Blue Pub’ (Chelsea and Millwall pronounced Miwar). I was allowed the dubious honour of attending because I was “a blue scouse C [word]” not a red scouse C Word. In short, Millwall hate everyone, just by different degrees.

I used to live in Forest Hill (South London, not too far from Bermondsey home of Millwall). There was a horrible pub I used to watch football in called the Bird in Hand. I was challenged by the locals when I first went in about my football allegiances. They said it was a ‘Blue Pub’ (Chelsea and Millwall pronounced Miwar). I was allowed the dubious honour of attending because I was “a blue scouse C [word]” not a red scouse C Word. In short, Millwall hate everyone, just by different degrees.
I know that pub and I absolutely would not go in wearing any Chelsea paraphernalia!🥴🤓

I remember the last game of the 97/98 season we (CFC) played v Bolton. I think it was maybe between Everton and Bolton for the drop and the overriding sentiment amongst our crowd was a preference for Everton to go down, so much so that there was raucous booing when Jody Morris made it 2-0 near the end when they were pressing for an equaliser. You’re the bigger club so it was as simple as that, rather than any deep rooted enmity towards EFC…

I have found the reaction from the supporters of other English based football clubs of our survival very interesting.

It is not just the RS it seems to be right across the board a real disappointment that we have survived.

It is strange on one hand as we are a poorly run club who have not won a trophy for nearly 30 years and are unlikely to offer up any threat to the sharp end of the table for the foreseeable future.

I do start to wonder if on some level there is a bit of jealousy towards the club and its position as the old lady of English football. One of the founder league members. A club that is still integral to its local community with a highly concentrated local support base

For the Sky 6 success has come at a price. Prawn sandwiches, cheese rooms, half and half scarfs. It is a diluted experience. Look at the RS when they experienced a little adversity under Hodgson their attendances started to drop as people from Denmark no longer wanted to make the journey. Same thing happened to Arsenal a couple of years back when they were struggling. They still reported sell outs but some season ticket holders stopped turning up. We have been served up poo on a stick for large parts of the last 30 years. The last two seasons back to back relegation battles yet we have still been filling a stadium that has thousands of restricted view seats. The support should be proud. It also highlights how important it is that the transition to the new stadium is done properly to ensure we don’t lose our soul
Rather than a being an 'old lady', I yearn for us to become a foxy young lady.

I remember the last game of the 97/98 season we (CFC) played v Bolton. I think it was maybe between Everton and Bolton for the drop and the overriding sentiment amongst our crowd was a preference for Everton to go down, so much so that there was raucous booing when Jody Morris made it 2-0 near the end when they were pressing for an equaliser. You’re the bigger club so it was as simple as that, rather than any deep rooted enmity towards EFC…
I thought Vialli showed pure class in that game playing a strong team despite having a European final in the following midweek.
If Bolton had got a point in that game we would have gone down.

Spoke to a Newcastle fan at work yesterday.
He's from Aberdeen, but does go and watch that lot.
I said I hate your team,kopites of the NE,he was genuinely surprised, then he says he has a soft spot for Everton, because of big Dunc...

….just been the barber (doesn’t take long these days. He said ‘you lot will struggle with your points deduction next season’.

Amazing the general assumption that Everton and City will get points deducted, when neither has even been found guilty yet. I don’t recall the PL ever deducting points, not even when certain clubs signed up for the European breakaway league.

if there is a guilty verdict which includes a points deduction, I imagine the PL will know City in particular will fight it in the courts with the best Corporate lawyers money can buy. COVID could also further complicate the decision.

Hopefully there’s a lot of disappointed fans out there from other clubs when this is finalised.

….just been the barber (doesn’t take long these days. He said ‘you lot will struggle with your points deduction next season’.

Amazing the general assumption that Everton and City will get points deducted, when neither has even been found guilty yet. I don’t recall the PL ever deducting points, not even when certain clubs signed up for the European breakaway league.

if there is a guilty verdict which includes a points deduction, I imagine the PL will know City in particular will fight it in the courts with the best Corporate lawyers money can buy. COVID could also further complicate the decision.

Hopefully there’s a lot of disappointed fans out there from other clubs when this is finalised.
They can’t deduct points because it unfair on the fans though mate.

They set that precedent when they never deducted points off the Super League Six.

Think Boro got docked for missing a fixture a few years back. But not really relevant for us.

If i was the club mind, id be coming out of this window with a balanced squad - in case of a transfer embargo.

In our case this independent panel would surely have to consider the impact of a sporting penalty and whether that fits the crime. It appears to be a technical issue on one transaction. Even a small penalty would open the door to us been sued heavily by Burnley and Leicester and would send us into administration. Hardly a good look for the PL’s profit and sustainability rules destroying one of its clubs. City on the other hand are state backed and facing north of 100 charges so different kettle of fish

Status
Not open for further replies.