Toxic rival fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyboy316

Player Valuation: £35m
I have found the reaction from the supporters of other English based football clubs of our survival very interesting.

It is not just the RS it seems to be right across the board a real disappointment that we have survived.

It is strange on one hand as we are a poorly run club who have not won a trophy for nearly 30 years and are unlikely to offer up any threat to the sharp end of the table for the foreseeable future.

I do start to wonder if on some level there is a bit of jealousy towards the club and its position as the old lady of English football. One of the founder league members. A club that is still integral to its local community with a highly concentrated local support base

For the Sky 6 success has come at a price. Prawn sandwiches, cheese rooms, half and half scarfs. It is a diluted experience. Look at the RS when they experienced a little adversity under Hodgson their attendances started to drop as people from Denmark no longer wanted to make the journey. Same thing happened to Arsenal a couple of years back when they were struggling. They still reported sell outs but some season ticket holders stopped turning up. We have been served up poo on a stick for large parts of the last 30 years. The last two seasons back to back relegation battles yet we have still been filling a stadium that has thousands of restricted view seats. The support should be proud. It also highlights how important it is that the transition to the new stadium is done properly to ensure we don’t lose our soul

In the age of social media, short memories are quite apparent as I've read multiple times and heard multiple times from journalists, oppositions fans etc. that we are always narrowly escaping relegation. Due to that short term memory, the atrocious football we have played in that short space of time, the managerial changes from Ancelotti > Benitez > Lampard > Dyche, the opposition to the board etc. we have become a club that neutrals love to hate. Social media doesn't care about getting to the centre or truth of a story, it cares about what gets clicks and instant buzz. It's easy to hate on us and we need to change that culture.

I have found the reaction from the supporters of other English based football clubs of our survival very interesting.

It is not just the RS it seems to be right across the board a real disappointment that we have survived.

It is strange on one hand as we are a poorly run club who have not won a trophy for nearly 30 years and are unlikely to offer up any threat to the sharp end of the table for the foreseeable future.

I do start to wonder if on some level there is a bit of jealousy towards the club and its position as the old lady of English football. One of the founder league members. A club that is still integral to its local community with a highly concentrated local support base

For the Sky 6 success has come at a price. Prawn sandwiches, cheese rooms, half and half scarfs. It is a diluted experience. Look at the RS when they experienced a little adversity under Hodgson their attendances started to drop as people from Denmark no longer wanted to make the journey. Same thing happened to Arsenal a couple of years back when they were struggling. They still reported sell outs but some season ticket holders stopped turning up. We have been served up poo on a stick for large parts of the last 30 years. The last two seasons back to back relegation battles yet we have still been filling a stadium that has thousands of restricted view seats. The support should be proud. It also highlights how important it is that the transition to the new stadium is done properly to ensure we don’t lose our soul
Yeah ive even seen people saying they wish Leeds had stayd up not us. I think the reason is because we dont ever go down, it boils them that apart from a small number of big clubs everyone else has had a taste of the championship but not us.

In the age of social media, short memories are quite apparent as I've read multiple times and heard multiple times from journalists, oppositions fans etc. that we are always narrowly escaping relegation. Due to that short term memory, the atrocious football we have played in that short space of time, the managerial changes from Ancelotti > Benitez > Lampard > Dyche, the opposition to the board etc. we have become a club that neutrals love to hate. Social media doesn't care about getting to the centre or truth of a story, it cares about what gets clicks and instant buzz. It's easy to hate on us and we need to change that culture.
I wouldn't read too deeply into it. Some people just like to see a giant fall.

Nothing to get paranoid about. Across the country there will be a large contingent of football followers who have the greatest respect for EFC and what is stands for.
I suggest that far more people would absolutely 'Love it!' if one of the alleged 'Big 6' had a dodgy season and ended up getting binned - especially the rs.

Anyway, we live to fight on in the top Division again, so the divvies can all 'do one'.

Had a look in on the Leeds and Leicester fans forums after the game on Sunday, and the snide comments were really pathetic! A total bunch of saddos, the lot of them! The fact is, despite all of our problems this season, their sides mustered less points than we did after 38 games. That is the realistic truth, and they are furious, and totally blind to the reality of what has occurred.

This week has shown me that a lot of clubs, in particular outside the usual top six, don’t like us. The main reason being is that we haven’t been relegated in so long.
The amount of times other fans kept saying we need to go down and “taste relegation, like we have”.

Make no mistake. Nobody, including the media and pundits, wanted us to stay up. The next narrative will be for a big penalty for this supposed FFP breach. Expect the media to get right behind pushing this.

The experience I get in real life of opposition fans and those on social media are not one and the same. Usually, Everton get a fair wedge of respect where ever I go.

The moronic bubble that is social media shouldn't be taken at face value. On the other hand, the RS are hated on social media AND in real life.
This. There are real people, and then there are the image-is-everything, consumption-addicted, jealous, social climbing, low-self esteem narcissists farming likes on social media. That lot has to take their behavioral cues from the media to farm likes, and the media hates on us because as @ToffeeScot points out, they're farming clicks to keep the light bill paid.

It's easy to let the messaging of the one group overwhelm that of the other, unless you spend enough time around real people.

Status
Not open for further replies.