2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he has done is become the first sub in the managers mind if we are chasing a goal. Or if we are cruising (as if). And he will get 25-30 mins rather than 10-15 mins playing time.

And I think that is a decent enough spot for him to be in at the moment

I'm confused by people saying they thought he was a target man. It has been said over and over and over and over for years that all he ever did was score and that every other part of his game was lacking. They've been working to improve his all round game and there are signs that it's paying off, but there's still a long way to go. He's well capable of scoring goals coming off the bench though, he's clearly got that natural ability. It seems to have come from a Sunderland suggesting in an article that he knew what type of player he was from watching him 10 times on loan but the coaches who've been working with him for the last 6/7 years had him pegged all wrong, which is quite funny.

I'm confused by people saying they thought he was a target man. It has been said over and over and over and over for years that all he ever did was score and that every other part of his game was lacking. They've been working to improve his all round game and there are signs that it's paying off, but there's still a long way to go. He's well capable of scoring goals coming off the bench though, he's clearly got that natural ability. It seems to have come from a Sunderland suggesting in an article that he knew what type of player he was from watching him 10 times on loan but the coaches who've been working with him for the last 6/7 years had him pegged all wrong, which is quite funny.
People really should read the Youth Teams thread more often. One of the absolute best threads on here imo. Plus they usually win more than the first team.

For anyone thinking I'm being edgy (cough Dave) with my rating of Simms you'll find even nearly 5 years ago I had the same concerns:

...and since you posted that - when he was an U18 player - he's had experience in 4 different leagues, scoring and proving himself in all of them.

As said: "edgy".

TBF that is what has happened to Lukaku - great in one position, but he looks like another black striker who had dreadlocks at one time so lets make him play the majority of his career in another position

TBF that is what has happened to Lukaku - great in one position, but he looks like another black striker who had dreadlocks at one time so lets make him play the majority of his career in another position
I think that's a slightly different thing. With all players there's going to be an expectation that they have to do things that they would rather not do in an ideal world. Lukaku would love to spend his career just running on to through balls and slotting but in the real world teams need him to offer more than that. Simms currently has the same issues, and the coaches have been aware of that for years. At the top level 'he's not really that type of player' just doesn't cut it, you're going to be expected to be able to hold your own at all aspects of the game, regardless of whether it's what you particularly want to do.

You didn't list anything. You merely said he gave off a 'Brewster vibe'.

Go nuts, I have talked about him often over the last 5 years when people have screamed for him to be in the first side: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/search/574246/?q=simms&c[users]=Nymzee&o=date

Said from the beginning: he's big, can finish, that's about it.

Go nuts, I have talked about him often over the last 5 years when people have screamed for him to be in the first side: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/search/574246/?q=simms&c[users]=Nymzee&o=date

Said from the beginning: he's big, can finish, that's about it.

This is true but often we were picking people who were big and couldn't finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.