2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he should certainly do some form of lighter training if at all possible due to his propensity for injury

If he can keep fit enough to play in his position whilst doing less in training then I think we'd be silly not to arrange that in all honesty

You can say it's not fair on the other players that he won't have to train as hard as they do, but needs must

Have him buy the drinks in pre-season or something to make it up to them
Paul McGrath springs to mind. Barely trained but fort away as he performed every Saturday

His is different. It was a terrible injury and the recovery period is up to 9 months and he's had a set back. There's no comparison between the pattern of Calvert-Lewin's injury woes and Townsend's.
There’s no comparison but that doesn’t mean that chronic recurring muscle issues aren’t as serious as a bad ACL.

It’s pretty clear Dom’s career is in the balance and as frustrating as it is to have him out the team the pattern of getting him half fit / sticking him in / him breaking down again had to be broken.

We also now have a manager who seems to be taking the long view rather than risking him for short term results for their own job prospects- and long term thinking has been in short supply at Everton. We’re doing the right thing trying to nurse him to sustainable fitness, whether it works or not. Better to have him for the next five years than the next five games.

There’s no comparison but that doesn’t mean that chronic recurring muscle issues aren’t as serious as a bad ACL.

It’s pretty clear Dom’s career is in the balance and as frustrating as it is to have him out the team the pattern of getting him half fit / sticking him in / him breaking down again had to be broken.

We also now have a manager who seems to be taking the long view rather than risking him for short term results for their own job prospects- and long term thinking has been in short supply at Everton. We’re doing the right thing trying to nurse him to sustainable fitness, whether it works or not. Better to have him for the next five years than the next five games.
I think the comparison is Michael Owen. DCL doesnt trust his body anymore

I know what I'd do if I were Dyche: name him on the bench with Simms and - depending on the circumstances - look to one of them with 15-20 minutes to go.

He should be able to deal with the stress of that and be available next game up.

I dont even want him starting, tbh. We have our attacking approach now under Dyche. We've got past that need to have DCL as a target man.

His is different. It was a terrible injury and the recovery period is up to 9 months and he's had a set back. There's no comparison between the pattern of Calvert-Lewin's injury woes and Townsend's.
Calvert-Lewin has had several terrible injuries in a row.

I can't get over to you how bad that quad injury was. He should probably have had surgery but that would have meant him missing the season.

I don't really understand why people try to make out like the whole thing is just fine and nobody should be talking about it. It's most definitely a saga, the lad has missed an inordinate amount of games over the last couple of years with a catalogue of injuries. He was taken off in a game 7 weeks ago as what was initially reported as being a precaution, but hasn't been seen since and is seemingly not even certain to be fit for the next game in 2 weeks time. The manager and his predecessor have both suggested that they believe he is, to all intents and purposes, 'fit' but that he doesn't necessarily agree. I'm not suggesting that he's doing anything wrong or there's anything untoward going on, but this isn't just your bog standard 'he's injured and that's the end of it' situation, it's obviously worthy of discussion.
He's crocked.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's fine.

He's been crocked for the best part of two years.

That quad injury he got v Brighton in August 2021, and then aggravated when the pig man insisted he came back to training a few weeks later, was as bad as the one Gbamin suffered in 2019.

Ever since then it's been a constant case of catch-up. They finally thought they had him fit last summer and his knee popped in a shooting drill.

He's not been helped by the fact that the club, led by two DoFs (one of whom had much more time than the other) and several managers as well as idiot owner and inept board, have failed to replace him in any adequate manner so he's been relied on to come back each time and never be fully fit.

Irony is had Benitez not absolutely insisted on Rondon as his striker in 2021 then we'd have got Openda or Beto, who Brands and his team wanted, and we could have actually had a player who could fill in adequately.

He's crocked.

That quad injury he got v Brighton in August 2021, and then aggravated when the pig man insisted he came back to training a few weeks later, was as bad as the one Gbamin suffered in 2019.

Ever since then it's been a constant case of catch-up. They finally thought they had him fit last summer and his knee popped in a shooting drill.
That's kind of what I mean really. I'm taking about people who are saying 'he's just injured, it happens' which obviously isn't the case if he's properly crocked. People are speculating because there's lots to speculate on - comparing it to an every day injury return is pointless because it's a totally different situation. Again, i'm not putting any blame on him or the club with that, just pointing out that the whole thing is clearly worthy of discussion.

He's crocked.

He's not been helped by the fact that the club, led by two DoFs (one of whom had much more time than the other) and several managers as well as idiot owner and inept board, have failed to replace him in any adequate manner so he's been relied on to come back each time and never be fully fit.

Irony is had Benitez not absolutely insisted on Rondon as his striker in 2021 then we'd have got Openda or Beto, who Brands and his team wanted, and we could have actually had a player who could fill in adequately.
How did he do his toe do you recall - was it in a game? That seems to have been the start of it.

Broken toe was the original source of Dunc's injury saga, according to the man himself. Incurred during a punch-up in a Dundee alehouse, rather than a football match, but the principle is the same - serious injury for a footballer.

How did he do his toe do you recall - was it in a game? That seems to have been the start of it.

Broken toe was the original source of Dunc's injury saga, according to the man himself. Incurred during a punch-up in a Dundee alehouse, rather than a football match, but the principle is the same - serious injury for a footballer.
Didn't he once get a diagnosis that the source of his groin injury was a tooth issue?

Take a look at how many shots we're getting off and the results we're getting without Calvert-Lewin.

If we reverted to looking to service him every game for the rest of the season I guarantee you we'd be relegated.

How many goals have we scored from those shots D Man?

Plus townsend is coming to the end of his career DCL hasn’t even got started

Enough to get 11 points.

If we played with him in mind and relied on his goals where would we be?

skysports-dominic-calvert-lewin_6075205.png

Status
Not open for further replies.