The Everton Board Thread

Frank McKenna was one of the key local media types making the case for Tescodome.
I followed all that closely back in the day but don’t recognise / remember McKenna’s name amongst it all (was 15 years ago now like!). There was another guy I remember who was always sticking his oar in, very pro Kenwright / Board / Kirkby. Was his name Tom Cannon? A professor, not our then 5 year old striker ?. Always seem to remember thinking he was an insufferable arse.

Unless he's coming clean about where the headlock story came from I don't want to hear anything from Joe Thomas tbh
Disappointingly they skirted around that issue. Was hoping Prentice’s name would be thrown under the bus but it wasn’t really mentioned. Honestly I suspect the Echo probably made it a proviso of allowing Thomas on the show.

Tbh, he makes some pertinent points regarding the focus of the protests. The lack of clarity and the calls for unachievable short term objectives....keep Moshiri and expect him to pick a better board etc.

The NSNOW lot are passionate supporters and they mean well, but IMO I think the blunderbuss approach to the protests has added to the maelstrom that's relegated this club. To save the club this season, we need after the Wolves game protests against the manager and a demand for spending in the January.

They were the only things that should have been gettin agitated for mid-season.

The board is done in its current guise, we might get a bone thrown of an addition or stepping away before the summer but I don’t see root and branch change really until then at the earliest. I think it’s Moshiri myself, i think he’s the dysfunctional presence, the money always holds the influence, I think he’s been a good intentioned loon, but I see that changing. He’s has always been sensitive, reactionary and emotional, so now the face has turned, I think it’s very likely he sells us down the river. Good and bad in that, but depends on the context. But the dysfunction can’t continue, the clubs well-being is haemerahing and we don’t have much farther to fall - we thought it couldn’t get worse then last season, it has.

The protests haven’t been enabling, if people want to believe it hasn’t effected our public profile it has and they have undermined us - thats down to piss poor timing, a lack of awareness and agreed a lack of coherence in what the priority should have been, pandoras box shouldn’t have been opened - If it couldn’t be controlled - you can disassociate yourself and condemn the scenes - but it’s like jamming on the breaks, your grand, but there is a 5 car pile up behind you - there is the natural cause and effect.

Timing, purpose and something beyond “just wanting change” and everything and everyone out is vital. I’m not against any of that, in fact I’d like something coherent I could support - haven’t seen it yet and as I say I don’t like the timing of what went down this month, less so the disempowering impact - not wholly at their door but was one of a number of factors.

I have my own opinion on Moshiri and the board and the need to change, but none of the protest groups have gone beyond binary stuff and as such I can’t warm to them, nor do I think they can unify the fan base behind an incoherent cause or limited strategy, even if the spirit behind it, is what’s required but it requires more coherence and realistic strategy, then just a vent.

Last edited:
I followed all that closely back in the day but don’t recognise / remember McKenna’s name amongst it all (was 15 years ago now like!). There was another guy I remember who was always sticking his oar in, very pro Kenwright / Board / Kirkby. Was his name Tom Cannon? A professor, not our then 5 year old striker ?. Always seem to remember thinking he was an insufferable arse.
Tom Cannon was a wannabe board member who started a football buisness agency....he's probably sitting in wheelie bin now drinking a bottle of turps.

McKenna ran (runs?) a business media venture called Downtown Liverpool which was always very encouraging of investment into the region. He saw the Kirkby Dome as a way of getting the tram scheme green lighted etc. Basically putting private commerce in the area over and above Everton's best interests.

Tom Cannon was a wannabe board member who started a football buisness agency....he's probably sitting in wheelie bin now drinking a bottle of turps.

McKenna ran (runs?) a business media venture called Downtown Liverpool which was always very encouraging of investment into the region. He saw the Kirkby Dome as a way of getting the tram scheme green lighted etc. Basically putting private commerce in the area over and above Everton's best interests.
Drinking turps in a wheelie bin ??.

Yeah I checked out McKenna’s website briefly after he mentioned it on the show as I had no idea what he actually done. Cheers for the info.

The board is done in its current guise, we might get a bone thrown of an addition or stepping away before the summer but I don’t see root and branch change really until then at the earliest. I think it’s Moshiri myself, i think he’s the dysfunctional presence, the money always holds the influence, I think he’s been a good intentioned loon, but I see that changing. He’s was always been sensitive, reactionary and emotional, so now the face has turned, I think it’s very likely he sells us down the river. Good and bad in that, but depends on the context. But the dysfunction can’t continue, the clubs well-being is haemerahing and we don’t much farther to fall - when we thought it couldn’t get worse then last season, it has.

The protests haven’t been enabling, if people want to believe it hasn’t effected our public profile it has and they have undermined us - thats down to piss poor timing, a lack of awareness and agreed a lack of coherence in what the priority should have been, pandoras box shouldn’t have been opened - If it couldn’t be controlled - you can disassociate yourself and condemn the scenes - but it’s like jamming in the breaks, your grand but there is a 5 car pile up behind you - there is the natural cause and effect.

Timing, purpose and something beyond “just wanting change” and everything out is vital. I’m not against any of that, in fact I’d like something coherent I could support - haven’t seen it yet and as I say I don’t like the timing of what went down this month, less so the disempowering impact - not wholly at their door but was one of a number of factors.
I completely agree with all that mate. Well said.

It's Moshiri who has to go. All roads lead to him. He's the source of all the instablity.

Funnily enough (and this underlines that it's not all black and white) Kenwright when he ran the club underlined how he could walk a tightrope and keep the club's balance. Did he hold us back? Yes. But he didn't crater the club and I doubt - if he'd have clung onto control until today - we'd be in this position now. And I'd also say that not EVERY Moshiri decision and appointment was crazy. Allardyce was astute to a point. He steadied the ship...but he didn't have the gumption of character to retain Allardyce another season to gain the club its firm footing again with back to back top 10 finishes...and he was also right about Silva too...he just (again) failed to stick by him. But combined, BK and FM were lethal for us. One in control but ceding every day club affairs to Bill and his fellow hand picked incompetents and thereby leaving the fans with a sense of confusion over who was to blame which ultimately exploded.

As for the protests: yes, "a pandoras box best left opened" - spot on. That's because although all the demands to keep discipline were made by NSNOW they were dealing with forces they couldn't fully control or dictate to. We're a big club with a lot of people who wont go back in the box when summoned up. Their actions allowed the media to frame us unfairly as a club that cant protect our players, and that's contributed to not getting a possible loan deal or two over the line and almost certainly sealed our fate as a PL outfit. That could have been avoided with a different strategy that deferred the fight to get the owner out until the summer and concentrated on the here and now of getting a failed manager out and players in for the next manager to succeed with. It's been a calamitous example of how not to protest IMO.

The board is done in its current guise, we might get a bone thrown of an addition or stepping away before the summer but I don’t see root and branch change really until then at the earliest. I think it’s Moshiri myself, i think he’s the dysfunctional presence, the money always holds the influence, I think he’s been a good intentioned loon, but I see that changing. He’s has always been sensitive, reactionary and emotional, so now the face has turned, I think it’s very likely he sells us down the river. Good and bad in that, but depends on the context. But the dysfunction can’t continue, the clubs well-being is haemerahing and we don’t have much farther to fall - we thought it couldn’t get worse then last season, it has.

The protests haven’t been enabling, if people want to believe it hasn’t effected our public profile it has and they have undermined us - thats down to piss poor timing, a lack of awareness and agreed a lack of coherence in what the priority should have been, pandoras box shouldn’t have been opened - If it couldn’t be controlled - you can disassociate yourself and condemn the scenes - but it’s like jamming on the breaks, your grand, but there is a 5 car pile up behind you - there is the natural cause and effect.

Timing, purpose and something beyond “just wanting change” and everything and everyone out is vital. I’m not against any of that, in fact I’d like something coherent I could support - haven’t seen it yet and as I say I don’t like the timing of what went down this month, less so the disempowering impact - not wholly at their door but was one of a number of factors.

I have my own opinion on Moshiri and the board and the need to change, but none of the protest groups have gone beyond binary stuff and as such I can’t warm to them, nor do I think they can unify the fan base behind an incoherent cause or limited strategy, even if the spirit behind it, is what’s required but it requires more coherence and realistic strategy, then just a vent.

It's Moshiri who has to go. All roads lead to him. He's the source of all the instablity.

Funnily enough (and this underlines that it's not all black and white) Kenwright when he ran the club underlined how he could walk a tightrope and keep the club's balance. Did he hold us back? Yes. But he didn't crater the club and I doubt - if he'd have clung onto control until today - we;d be in this position now. And Il;d also say that not EVERY Moshiri decision and appointemnt was crazy. Allardyce was astute to a point. He steady the ship...but he didn;t have the gumption of character to retain Allardyce another years to gain the club its form footing again with back to back top 10 finishes...and he was also right about Silva too...he just (again) failed to stick by him. But combined, BK and FM were lethal for us. One in control but ceding every day club affairs to Bill and his fellow hand picked incompetents and thereby leaving the fans with a sense of confusion over who was to blame which ultimately exploded.

As for the protests: yes, "a pandoras box best left opened" spot on. That's because although all the demands to keep discipline were made by NSNOW they were dealing with forces they couldn't fully control or dictate to. We're a big club with a lot of people who wont go back in the box when summoned up. Their actions allowed the media to frame us unfairly as a club that cant protect our players, and that's contributed to not getting a possible loan deal or two over the line and almost certainly sealed our fate as a PL outfit. That could have been avoided with a different strategy that deferred the fight to get the owner out intil the summer and concentrated on the here and now of getting a failed manager out and players in for the next manager to succeed with. It's been a calamitous example of how not to protest IMO.
I’l generally go with your views lads.

The Gordon money has been banked on the stadium and our finances if we go down. But it's a huge gamble we have scored 15 goals we could easily go down. The idea we couldn't afford a loan or two is rubbish. It's sheer incompetence leaving the failing manager in situ too long and not recruiting earlier.

Tbh, he makes some pertinent points regarding the focus of the protests. The lack of clarity and the calls for unachievable short term objectives....keep Moshiri and expect him to pick a better board etc.

The NSNOW lot are passionate supporters and they mean well, but IMO I think the blunderbuss approach to the protests has added to the maelstrom that's relegated this club. To save the club this season, we needed after the Wolves game protests against the manager and a demand for spending in the January.

They were the only things that should have been getting agitated for mid-season.
No davek

The NSNOW lot are having a positive impact. Farhad Moshiri is aware and what he says publicly may not be what he thinks privately

There is so much going on at the moment surrounding Everton Football Club

The NSNOW lot (of which I'm a supporter) I know are having a positive impact

The board have failed the club and the presence and continued imposition of Bill Kenwright and Denise Barrett-Baxendale can't continue

No davek

The NSNOW lot are having a positive impact. Farhad Moshiri is aware and what he says publicly may not be what he thinks privately

There is so much going on at the moment surrounding Everton Football Club

The NSNOW lot (of which I'm a supporter) I know are having a positive impact

The board have failed the club and the presence of Bill Kenwright and Denise Barrett-Baxendale can't continue
Their aims are laudable; their strategy has been lamentable.

IMO.

Funnily enough (and this underlines that it's not all black and white) Kenwright when he ran the club underlined how he could walk a tightrope and keep the club's balance. Did he hold us back? Yes. But he didn't crater the club and I doubt - if he'd have clung onto control until today - we'd be in this position now. And I'd also say that not EVERY Moshiri decision and appointment was crazy. Allardyce was astute to a point. He steadied the ship...but he didn't have the gumption of character to retain Allardyce another season to gain the club its firm footing again with back to back top 10 finishes...and he was also right about Silva too...he just (again) failed to stick by him. But combined, BK and FM were lethal for us. One in control but ceding every day club affairs to Bill and his fellow hand picked incompetents and thereby leaving the fans with a sense of confusion over who was to blame which ultimately exploded.

As for the protests: yes, "a pandoras box best left opened" - spot on. That's because although all the demands to keep discipline were made by NSNOW they were dealing with forces they couldn't fully control or dictate to. We're a big club with a lot of people who wont go back in the box when summoned up. Their actions allowed the media to frame us unfairly as a club that cant protect our players, and that's contributed to not getting a possible loan deal or two over the line and almost certainly sealed our fate as a PL outfit. That could have been avoided with a different strategy that deferred the fight to get the owner out until the summer and concentrated on the here and now of getting a failed manager out and players in for the next manager to succeed with. It's been a calamitous example of how not to protest IMO.

Likewise mate, good post and an excellent analyisis, I agree with all of it.

It’s important to point out, one size doesn’t fit all, there is to much binary thinking to my mind, you can be critical of how the protests, were planned, executed, timing, impact and message and not support the board or the owner. The protests were damaging for those reasons I mention - ultimately they undermined the club this month and made things worse. Not wholly to blame of course, Moshiiri on Talksport was the touch paper and an example of the dysfunction we both mention. But we needed sensible heads, protesting for the right thing at the right time, instead of scaring the bejaysus out of our own players and up the road (literally and figuretively) and scaring the life out of any perspective signings, giving the kopite friendly media a field day - they don’t need an excuse.

The issues need something else, better leadership, better strategy, better alternatives, more coherence, realistic objectives and alternatives then just binary in or out stuff and at the very least not to cut the legs out from under us and be disempowering, this Jan and the impact can’t be allowed to happen again, though its likely to late, an absolute mess.

Last edited: