Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the scenarios mentioned about him being in a position to promote all our U23s into the first team next season, one thing people are assuming is that they’ll actually be good enough to do that. I’m not convinced.

In the scenarios mentioned about him being in a position to promote all our U23s into the first team next season, one thing people are assuming is that they’ll actually be good enough to do that. I’m not convinced.

It’s about coaching for me. If you make it as a professional then ability is only so much of it. He has a track record of making young players far better. Look at some of the Leeds players under him.

That's basically Bielsa in a sentence.
6 months with your youth team though, with a view to presumably promoting a bunch the following season regardless of what division you are in would have been very interesting to witness indeed. It's very likely the results would have added to his legendary status. This is why some Leeds have been divided. We want to see him back but managing a team against us. Nah.
Some of you going on about trophies, but that's not and never will be his lasting legacy even though he's won a few. It's what he does to improve, particularly younger, players. Make no mistake we were a mid-table Championship side at best when he took over and he turned players we literally wanted to get rid of like Kalvin Phillips and Stuart Dallas and turned them into the best players in the league. He even got rid of fan favourite Pontus Jansson and replaced him with a kid who was playing on loan at Newport County previously, Ben White. We thought he was bonkers. Turns out we were right, but he's still a genius.
So, are we sad/sorry that Bielsa turned us down, for now?

So, are we sad/sorry that Bielsa turned us down, for now?

Not me, not at all. Honestly, I'm delighted. It's hard to imagine him managing a club against us, especially given where both clubs are right now. Weirdly though, and is the feeling with most Leeds fans, if he got the job we would want him to do well, even if you're a league rival. That's testament to the feeling towards him. Otherwise we'll just continue to gleefully watch your implosion under anyone else

Not me, not at all. Honestly, I'm delighted. It's hard to imagine him managing a club against us, especially given where both clubs are right now. Weirdly though, and is the feeling with most Leeds fans, if he got the job we would want him to do well, even if you're a league rival. That's testament to the feeling towards him. Otherwise we'll just continue to gleefully watch your implosion under anyone else

Can't begrudge you to be fair, I enjoyed Leeds' implosion for two decades

I can see why Dyche is the more attractive option for you: he'll get the players working much harder and will instill a sense of togetherness. Yes, judging by much of what he's said over the years, he's a fairly simplistic and uncultured character, who perhaps sees the world in rather black and white terms, but chances are you don't care about that - you just want someone in who can quickly turn things around and pick up enough points to survive; the football will probably be ugly, but you'll be able to live with that if it means not going down.
But...
the alternative with Bielsa could have been very different - a man who would come in and potentially turn around the entire club; who'd take mediocre players and have them playing out of their skins; who would have the team playing fast, exciting football and have the media and fans around the world talking. Of course, there would have been the frustrations inherent in a Bielsa approach too- a very small first team squad, meaning big problems when the injuries mount up; frequent nail-biting games where you really don't know what might happen (though arguably shouldn't football be all about this?) and narrow-minded troglodytes (both within your own fanbase and that of other clubs) who just won't 'get' Bielsa's ways (and will probably be affronted by his lack of use of English in public).
Bielsa's approach doesn't always work (Lille being a prime example), but it's always interesting and exciting - I know this'll sound daft, but many fans of Leeds, Bilbao and Newell's will tell you that it's genuinely a once in a lifetime kind of experience.

I can see why Dyche is the more attractive option for you: he'll get the players working much harder and will instill a sense of togetherness. Yes, judging by much of what he's said over the years, he's a fairly simplistic and uncultured character, who perhaps sees the world in rather black and white terms, but chances are you don't care about that - you just want someone in who can quickly turn things around and pick up enough points to survive; the football will probably be ugly, but you'll be able to live with that if it means not going down.
But...
the alternative with Bielsa could have been very different - a man who would come in and potentially turn around the entire club; who'd take mediocre players and have them playing out of their skins; who would have the team playing fast, exciting football and have the media and fans around the world talking. Of course, there would have been the frustrations inherent in a Bielsa approach too- a very small first team squad, meaning big problems when the injuries mount up; frequent nail-biting games where you really don't know what might happen (though arguably shouldn't football be all about this?) and narrow-minded troglodytes (both within your own fanbase and that of other clubs) who just won't 'get' Bielsa's ways (and will probably be affronted by his lack of use of English in public).
Bielsa's approach doesn't always work (Lille being a prime example), but it's always interesting and exciting - I know this'll sound daft, but many fans of Leeds, Bilbao and Newell's will tell you that it's genuinely a once in a lifetime kind of experience.
I can't

….he’s the wrong Manager at any time. He’s unemployed for a reason.
Same could be said for SD
It's all opinions.
We won't get to see whether Bielsa would have been the right or wrong appointment at this time unfortunately
We will with Dyche. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but anyone who is saying he was the right appointment can fall on their swords when he fails to do what he has been chosen for, as this right appointment nonsense is only correct if he saves us from the drop.
Not having any apologists saying otherwise or making excuses. If we go down it is on him and the players still. 18 games to prove what people have been saying about him. Frank managed it, let's see if this egg can.

Same could be said for SD
It's all opinions.
We won't get to see whether Bielsa would have been the right or wrong appointment at this time unfortunately
We will with Dyche. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but anyone who is saying he was the right appointment can fall on their swords when he fails to do what he has been chosen for, as this right appointment nonsense is only correct if he saves us from the drop.
Not having any apologists saying otherwise or making excuses. If we go down it is on him and the players still. 18 games to prove what people have been saying about him. Frank managed it, let's see if this egg can.

….there were plenty (like me) not in either camp. It wasn’t a binary choice, I can’t understand Everton prioritising Managers of teams worst than us last season.

It won’t be a case of I told you so for me but I am more optimistic of staying up with Dyche than I’d have been with Bielsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.