Graeme Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I’ll defend him forever, because his generation is the club for me. None have come close since.

I want to have his ilk on the board, together with effective operations managers, Finance directors and commercial managers etc. Ex players who were part of the most successful team we ever Galahad must be welcomed. If there isn’t a place somewhere for them, then what is the club?

If you deny the history, then we’re nothing. No trophies for twenty seven years. None of the previous success matters. We’re nothing.
I want to have board members who have the actual skills, qualifications and experience to run a professional football club. Ex-players generally don't have those skillsets. Sharp was a good player but what other skills does he actually have? I don't feel that ex-players typically contribute anything at boardroom level.

"But he gets us" means nothing to me. Just run us well and provide a modicum of success and no cares if you "get us" or not.

Thank you. I’ll defend him forever, because his generation is the club for me. None have come close since.

I want to have his ilk on the board, together with effective operations managers, Finance directors and commercial managers etc. Ex players who were part of the most successful team we ever Galahad must be welcomed. If there isn’t a place somewhere for them, then what is the club?

If you deny the history, then we’re nothing. No trophies for twenty seven years. None of the previous success matters. We’re nothing.
I want to have board members who have the actual skills, qualifications and experience to run a professional football club. Ex-players generally don't have those skillsets. Sharp was a good player but what other skills does he actually have? I don't feel that ex-players typically contribute anything at boardroom level.

"But he gets us" means nothing to me. Just run us well and provide a modicum of success and no cares if you "get us" or not.
I fall somewhere in between.

Graeme Sharpe is a club legend and there’s no denying it. And I don’t mind an ex player taking a small part in the running of the club.

However it cannot be a huge part unless they are properly qualified or experienced. Would you name a board member in the match day squad?

I fall somewhere in between.

Graeme Sharpe is a club legend and there’s no denying it. And I don’t mind an ex player taking a small part in the running of the club.

However it cannot be a huge part unless they are properly qualified or experienced. Would you name a board member in the match day squad?
Exactly.

Sharp was fine at his ex player ambasador stuff, occasional co comms and the odd meaningless soundbite.

He's a wasted seat on the board. A stuffed suit to bring his 'vast footballing knowledge' to the operation of Everton Football Club.

The only ex player we have that is even remotely qualified to sit on the board is Cahill.

I'd go as far to say he's streets ahead in terms of qualifications and real world experience in a properly functioning set up than Kenwright and DBB combined.

Interesting theory I saw which basically says that it’s obvious why he couldn’t be arsed, we’re crap and the worse we get the more relevant he becomes in our history. If we were actually any bit decent and winning things at least semi regularly players like him would be forgotten and he’d lose influence.

Makes perfect sense in my opinion even if it is simplifying things massively.
Sorry mate, but history debunks that theory entirely, if anything winning trophies brings previous great teams / players into sharper relief as they are inevitably compared to try to ascertain which was the best. When the Holy Trinity was gracing Goodison, nobody forgot about Young, Vernon etc. similarly, when Reid and Bracewell were tearing it up, nobody stopped mentioning Bally etc.

The only ex player we have that is even remotely qualified to sit on the board is Cahill.

I'd go as far to say he's streets ahead in terms of qualifications and real world experience in a properly functioning set up than Kenwright and DBB combined.

What qualifications does Cahill have that Sharp doesn't?

What qualifications does Cahill have that Sharp doesn't?
UEFA pro license. (irrelevant for a board member, granted.)

Studied business of Entertainment,. media and Sports at Harvard University.

Has held the role of Chief Sports officer at the Aspire Sports Academy in Qatar for the past three years.

I guess he's not cuddled a Panda, so that is a negative against him.

It takes a certain breathtaking lack of self-awareness to positively feature yourself in a pictorial timeline of the great events in Everton's history when you are the most unsuccessful, trophy-bereft, chairman in that club's history.
You misunderstand! When the grateful staff of Everton assembled and begged Bill to allow his visage to grace the hallowed cladding of Goodison "not a museum" Park he was opposed. Only relenting when it became clear that not to agree would break not only their hearts, but the hearts of every blue.

UEFA pro license. (irrelevant for a board member, granted.)

Studied business of Entertainment,. media and Sports at Harvard University.

Has held the role of Chief Sports officer at the Aspire Sports Academy in Qatar for the past three years.

I guess he's not cuddled a Panda, so that is a negative against him.

Ha ha you're absolutely joking surely?!

Cahill is 100 times worse than Sharp.

Latter is criticised for not standing up to Kenwright and criticising the board (without anyone knowing details) yet Cahill was the patsy of the Qatar World Cup as one of its key ambassadors and took the millions instead of speaking against all the human rights abuses and LGBT issues.

Sharp may be criticised for many things but Cahill has taken millions to defend an evil regime. Not just defend it but promote it. Have you seen the many awkward videos?

Now that really is scum. And as far as I know he's still doing it. At least for Beckham it was a one off gig. Cahill should never even be allowed into Goodison never mind working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.