Match Thread Southampton vs Everton - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

My point is mate if you go to a boozer in Coventry and tell a fan of theirs how hard Everton have had it these past 2 decades you'll get laughed oot of town.

It's very Blue Tinted to suggest we've hard "dark times" particularly since 2000 onwards. Frustrating yes but not hard i.e relegations/administration/liquidation that many clubs have faced over the years.

Yes it may be "relative" based on history/size of the club - hard times for a Man Utd fan is finishing 8th but you aint going to have me shed a tear for the "poor sods" when clubs like Sunderland have back to back relegations, Bolton/Derby in financial trouble etc.

I just dont buy what Mr Sweet was selling.
We have been terrible since the premier league began really. We still have won the 4th most league titles soon to be caught by City.

We are a massive club nothing like Bolton and Derby tho. Seeing a team like Spurs who we should be competing with taking our best player after wasting a shed load of money was also a low. I think maybe if we didn’t get banned from Europe all them years ago when we had the best team. We would maybe still be challenging for titles now but going from probably been the best team in the league with Liverpool to where we find ourselves today is some achievement. I blame Bill.

Sounds a bit "this means more" that mate.

I would rather not be all scouse exceptionalist.

Truth is we've not had it any worse or harder than the majority of clubs in the English football pyramid system quite the opposite.

Yes it hurts to not have won anything since 95 being traditionally one of the big boys but history gives us no divine right to achieve things.
Not only are you unable to provide a definition of the word woke, despite repeated requests, you’re now unable to confirm the year of your birth. You are by far the worst poster on this website.

It's just nice to start enjoying the football again after last season.

We'll obviously have ups and downs, but all I ever want to see from Everton is progression & an identity that's in-line with the fans expectations.
... said Mosh's matchday programme note opposite a 4th away kit advert :)

58 arrests total for the entire season - we were actually fifth overall. The majority of our arrests were for pitch invasion and bringing pyrotechnics to the ground.

26 football banning orders were issued to our fans, I know one was for throwing a bottle during the Villa game and half a dozen were issued for racist chanting.

Presented without comment, just for context.
Yeah, spot on that. Everton does not have a fan problem, just it's % of louts that's ordinary anywhere.

We do as fans need to condemn and report this when it happens. And EFC needs to foot the bill for Wardens, Police, and outreach etc that controls and reduces it longer term. Every club has to do this, and it's not something that characterizes EFC. It's just football's weekly 'platform' for wrong'uns.

I remember thinking "err... " at the scenes after DCL's header crashed in. Given everything the fans had endured, (and the way they rallied for the players and Lamps), it was understandable - but a bit surprising.

EFC in general ... Take out the arrests after 'that' header, and EFC's behaviour stats generally falls in line with most and better than many. The fine is lenient and contextualizes the club's general excellence in the community and stats around fan behaviour.

Football and safety This doesn't happen at Rugby, Cricket etc don't. I live in Czech Rep... My son plays Ice hockey, it's brutal. There is NEVER any problem. Football? At the top level, pretty regular flare-ups of chained-up Ultras that meet and hospitalize each other (same in Holland, Italy). Euro 20 final showed mentality does exist here, too (drugs, alcohol, peeing everywhere, foul language), and the charging of an entry gate. Again, you can point to Covid and a ground swell 'release', but we do have this element and it gravitates to football in the UK.

A big issue is.. The margins are fine from disorder to disaster (look at the horrendous experiences elsewhere today and in the past).

Fans want our ground to be uncomfortable for away teams. We also want our players to be 'at it', stronger, faster. We want see opposition bullied, outfought, wandering off beaten (and class of course, like Gordon and co). The lining of streets into those relegation battles put hairs on players neck - FL referred to it himself. It helped. Did anyone else fancy Rotherham or Luton next weekend instead?

My pov / experience at GP.

I think EFC does a good job in the main part. Yes we have a few beer'd up wrong'uns who are there everywhere in life, unhappy or unpleasant or just struggling Monday to Sunday and it's a release. I believe the balance we have in place at grounds is right.

My own experience is this: my disabled mother came with me last year to GP (unfortunately for the Watford home game). We then sat in a pub on the Sunday (Mum's a red) and watched RS hammer Utd. I'm never bringing her again :)

She said on the train back the only other venues in the UK where the help at the ground was so accommodating, warm and helpful as GP were: Wimbledon and Trent Bridge when England are on. Those venues do that once a year. GP does it every fortnight. Even a Red at the hotel say they love going to EFC with a disabled friend because of the help and support.

As wools, we pushed Mum's wheelchair from GP, round Stanley park, along the front and up to Ropewalks where we stayed and it was brilliant. People lovely, fascinating history along the way. Everton remains one of the most endearing and unique football clubs in the world, representative of it's location and history. I'm sure we'll retain that at Bramley Dock.

Hope this is helpful as a proportionate perspective on the stats above.

In the dressing room at Southampton
20221003_181650.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.