Everton U18s 3 Wigan U18s 3

The second half exploded with 6 goals and plenty of drama after a very ordinary first half which produced very little in terms of entertainment. This was to be Everton’s last game of the pre season before their curtain raiser with West Bromwich Albion next week.

Today’s conditions were perfect at Finch Farm with blue skies and a warm temperature.

Everton seemed to settle down the better of the two sides inside the first tem minutes only for the first chance to fall to the visitors with an outstanding effort by a Wigan’s Johnson on the edge of the 18 yard box which sent Springthorpe scrambling across his line to see the effort fractionally miss the left hand post.

Wigan seemed to look more confident with attacking threats down the left with Pennington and Langton showing some splendid defending.

Tom Molyneux in midfield created Everton’s first chance feeding Chris Long only to see his well struck effort athletically tipped over the bar by the Wigan Keeper.

On 22 minutes Everton were awarded a penalty for reasons I am unable to explain, Conor Grant took the spot kick sweetly but credit to the Latic’s keeper for guessing the right way to push the ball away down to his left.

Moments later the Latics keeper made another good save this time from Long after Everton stepped up the tempo.

Wigan had two chances before the interval, Springthorpe pushed a shot onto the left hand post and the visitors squandered a good chance after a good 3 man move but the finish was weak.



The second half produced three changes for Everton but it was Wigan inside the opening 60 seconds that carved out the first chance but yet again the finish should have shown a better result.

The second half was similar to the first and the game was crying out for a goal despite Everton shooting on goal from distance several times.

56 minutes in as Chris Long showed determination with a strong run getting the better of his marker to cut inside the box to find substitute Harry Charsley to crash home off the underside of the crossbar, his 3rd goal in 2 games.

It only took 2 minutes for the visitors to get on level terms as the Everton defence failed to deal with a cross from the left. The ball was hit home by former Everton youngster Johnson with Springthorpe being sent the wrong way after what looked like a deflection with Everton defenders on the line left helpless.

The second period was a vast improvement from the opening half and it was Chris Long again that was provider setting up Welsh midfielder Gethin Jones to hit home again with a nick off the left hand post.

Wigan refused to lie down as they too stepped up their game as the full back forced Springthorpe for the second time in the game to push the ball on the post then moments later were level as Ryan Meadow hammered home despite failed attempts from Everton’s defence to clear off the line.

Gethin Jones delivered a cross which found Charsley at the back post but the Latics came out to deny an attempted header and kill off the potential danger.

Wigan survived an Everton corner and broke like lightning leaving Everton’s players stranded.

Johnson was faced with Springhtorpe to beat, the Shrewsbury born keeper managed to knock the ball onto the post but Johnson reacted quickest to shoot home from 2 yards which left the hosts with a lot of work to do with ten minutes remaining.

With three minutes left Everton were awarded a penalty as a combined move involving Long and Charsley ended as Long was tripped which brought claims from the Wigan players appealing to the referee it was outside the box.

The referee waved away the appeals to allow Long to drill home the penalty and square the game at 3-3.



Team: Springthorpe, Shannon(Adelson 46), Touray, Pennington, Langton, Molyneux, Heath(Duffus 46), Grant, Waring(Charsley 46), Long, Jones

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop