Wigan Res. 1-1 Everton Res.

A late leveller from the penalty spot by Latics substitute Adam Dawson cancelled out Jose Baxter’s beautifully curling shot after 8 minutes to take a point a piece.

Alan Stubbs and his team were facing their third game in seven days as they made the short journey to the Robin Park arena. Stubbs and his opposite number Graham Barrow decided to field youthful sides as Everton were looking to stretch their unbeaten run to 9 games.

In bright warm sunshine and played on an awful pitch Everton went ahead on minutes with a move that stemmed from the left, Vellios held up the ball and found Baxter who curled his effort from 20 yards that was accurately placed passed Calvin Hare in the Latic’s goal to give the blues the lead.

The Everton performance was steady and were looking lively going forward, just two minutes after the goal Baxter played a ball over the top of the Wigan defence into the path of Lundstram but Jordan Robinson was at hand top clear the threat. Lundstram also saw his shot hit the post shortly after that.

The game lost it’s tempo midway through the first half, Junior who was playing in front of the back four and behind the midfield was in impressive form being alert to every ball that was to be had and his lay off’s and movement were also encouraging.

Davies in goal for Everton was a spectator for most of the first half which was down to the centre backs Dier and Weir who coped with anything that Wigan were threatening to throw at visitors.



Dier made the first chance for Everton 5 minutes into the second period when he played a long ball over the top of Wigan’s defenders for Vellios on route to goal then hastily snatched at it and sent it skywards.

The game was lacking some excitement and was a very dull encounter as Wigan made a double substitution as they were very much looking to force Davies into action without being troubled for the first 63 minutes.

Touray set up Baxter with a cross from the left to feed Baxter who was having a fair game tried his luck again from range only for Hare to deny him a second goal.

Junior was in the right place to deny Angoy a goal for the home side by stabbing the ball off the line, the substitute Dawson was teasing Touray as Wigan gathered some momentum and were having their best spell of the game, Bingham the other sub saw his effort narrowly miss the post with an ambitious shot.

McAleny burst from the half way line on a daring run and was clattered by McCormack as the two squared up to each other aS the match official Mr Graham issued a deserved yellow card.

From the free kick Vellios had a shot blocked which then came out to Dier who failed to hit the target.

McAleny this time produced a fine pass to Baxter who hit a powerful shot which sent Hare dpwn to his left to make a two handed parried block.

As the game was edging to it’s closing stages Davies advanced from his line to unfortunately bring down Tim Chow and from the spot kick Dawson beat Davies to make the result even.



Wigan Athletic: Hare, Morris, McCormack, Aylmer, Langley, Robinson (Bingham 63), Myler. Chow, Rugg (Dawson 63), Sumner, Angoy. Subs: Cotterrill, Breeze, Watson

Everton: Davies, Browning, Touray, Junior, Dier, Weir, Grant (Hope 82), Baxter, Vellios, McAleny, Lundstram. Subs Fitzgibbon (GK), Pennington, Thomas, Orenuga

Match Officials Mr P Graham assistants Mr D McNamara, Mr C Buxton 4th official Mr K Jones

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop