Crystal Palace Yth 1-2 Everton Yth

Everton’s youngsters had a tough test in South London on a bitterly cold night against Crystal Palace who have a very good bunch of youngsters.

Everton brought in Ross Barkley to captain the team as Kevin Sheedy made some very interesting changes to the team that play in the academy league.

Ross Barkley laid the first threat on the Eagles goal inside eight minutes when his effort was tipped onto the crossbar by Fitzsimons in the host’s goal as Barkley beat three defenders.

Everton’s defence worked hard as Palace won a corner, the ball fell into the path of Bola the Eagles number 9 who fired his effort over the bar as the blues defence restricted them to nothing more than that.

Everton were looking by far the inventive side with Barkley the one that stood out and orchestrated everything.

Hallam Hope caused a scare just before the half hour when he drove an effort across the face of goal but unfortunately for him none of his team mates could assist by putting the ball over the line.

As chances are missed the inevitable happened on 30 minutes when a ball put through by 8 Ghassumu Sow found his captain Alex Wynter who looked in an offside position to slot a cool finish past James Fitzgibbon and give the home side the lead.

Just before the break on 40 minutes Everton were back deservedly on level terms when Hope played Barkley through who managed to get past his markers and equalise for the visitors.


The same 22 took to the pitch under the floodlights for the second half and as in the first half it was Everton who showed promise when Hope went on an intelligent run to play the ball over to Forrester who looked a certainty to put the blues in front but only an heroic save from Fitsimoms as the ball came out to the blues again but this time centre back Ryan Inniss was on the line to clear as Everton appealed for what they thought had crossed the line but the ref let the game continue.

Fitzsimons undoubtedly was the busiest of the two goalkeepers and he had to be on his toes as the second half was edging closer to the full time whistle as he kept out an effort from Connor Grant pushing his effort around the post and the same with an effort from Lundstram.

Both teams made substitutions as the second half was nearly over with Extra time looking favourable as Everton introduced Eric Dier with seven minutes remaining of the 90 in place of Joahnn Hammar.


An extra 30 minutes lay in store as tiredness was evident amongst the one’s who had featured from the off.

Forrester had a couple of chances and would be thinking he should have done better to put the visitors in front as penalties looked like it was the only way to resolve this contest if the scores remained level on 120 minutes.

But with Five minutes remaining of first half extra time Anton Forrester as he has done in recent weeks found the net and for the first time in the game to give Everton the lead as he unleashed a right footed and it was no more than Everton deserved.

In the second period of extra time Crystal Palace must have thought they had equalised when their substitute Williams had hit the post.

Just as the game was reaching it’s end Barkley had an effort wide and Adam Thomas the substitute who replaced Forrester managed to hit a post.

Overall despite all the anxious moments it was Everton who were through to the next round of the competition and deservedly so.


Attendance 1,085

Teams: Crystal Palace:
Fitzsimons, Akaruka, Daniel(Clarke 99), Boateng(Williams 73), Inniss, Taylor, Wynter (c ), Sow, Bola, De Silva, Allassani) Sulley Kai-Kai(78). Unused Subs: Dymond, King(GK), Callaghan,Johnson_Cole, Field

Everton: Fitzgibbon, Browning, Johns, Heneghan, Hammar (Dier 85),Barrow, Lundstram, Barkley (c ), Hope, Forrester (Thomas 106), Grant(Jones 99). Unused Subs Taudul(GK), Higgins

Crystal Palace Coach Gary Issott

Everton Coach Kevin Sheedy

Match Officials Ref Mr Paul Forrester, Assistants, Mr John Panlon & Mr Mike Chisolm. 4th Official Mr Lee Hill

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop