Everton Reserves 1-2 Wigan Reserves

Everton huffed and puffed after pulling a goal back midway through the second half but agonisingly failed to find an equaliser.

Everton introduced a couple of U18’s players from the off by giving Ibou Touary a game at left back and Adam Thomas on the right hand side of midfield.

The game got underway as First team manager watched from the balcony as grey skies hovered above.

It was Adam Thomas who produced the first threat on goal after ten minutes when after some good build up play a James McFadden cross found the head of Thomas but glanced away then within 60 seconds Thomas drove a ball goal wards that missed the right hand post.

Wigan won a free kick on the edge of the ‘D’ after Everton conceded a foul and as 3 Wigan players stood over the ball it was first team star Hendry Thomas that directed his effort just narrowly wide of Hahnamann’s post.

Wigan were playing the neater football with some very crisp passing and Dawson and Sammon standing out with their pace with Hahnamann being alert and equal to the goalbound efforts.

Forshaw made Nicholls in the Wigan goal work hard to save a long range effort as they were reduced to shots from distance as a very Wigan defence stood their ground.

The breakthrough came on 27 minutes when Gueye gave away the free kick for a foul on Redmond on the half way ;line. The free kick was knocked into the path of Sammon as Hahnemaa came racing from his line to block a shot that unkindly hit Mustafi to roll into the net and put the visitors in front.

The game edged towards the break as Everton searched for an equaliser and Wigan were very quick to react on the counter and nearly doubled their lead only for some fine experienced goalkeeping by Hahnemann.

Half Time
Everton Res 0 Wigan Athletic Res 1

The second half got underway with the same 22 who started the game and only 3 minutes in Danny Redmond ex Everton youth player scored a remarkable goal out of nothing from 25 yards that dropped into the top left hand corner leaving Hahnemann helpless and double the visitors lead leaving Everton with a lot to do.

Chris Long the 16 year old academy starlet tried immediately with a shot that sent Nichols down to save at the foot of his post.

Hallam Hope replaced McFadden on the hour as the pace was noticeably evident as Lundstram sent a header wide of the post after good work by Thomas.

Everton were not lying down and forced a number of free kicks and on 65 minutes after a long ball from a set piece Lundstram was inside the box to lash the ball high past the stranded Nicholls to reduce the deficit.

Ten minutes from time Everton had the Wigan defenders working overtime but just could not find a way through then a fine assist from Nsiala found Hope whose low shot was covered by Nicholls.

In added time as much as Everton tried Wigan once again attacked the hosts on the break and won a free kick when shout’s for a penalty was turned down. From the free kick the ball fell to substitute Watson as Everton scrambled the ball away and Watson’s blast was heading for the goal and again Hahnemann made an outstanding save to his left.

Long and Hope combined well at the death as Long went down in the box after a challenge but a decision was not in Everton’s favour.

Full Time
Everton Res 1 Wigan Athletic Res 2

Everton :Hahnemann, Browning, Touray, Lundstram, Nsiala, Mustafi, Long, Forshaw, Gueye, McFadden (Hope 60), Thomas (Higgins 84). Unused Subs Davies(GK), Forrester, Dier

Wigan Athletic :Nicholls, Langley, Mustoe, Lopez, Kiernan, Thomas, Gomez, Dawson, (Dicko 66) Sammon, Maloney,(Watson 90) Redmond Unused Subs: Buxton, Chow, McCormack

Everton Manager Alan Stubbs
Wigan Manager Graham Barrow

Referee Mr Steven Copeland Assistants Mr Ian Hurdle & Mr Peter Gibbons

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop