Everton U18’s 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday U18’s

This fixture was scheduled to be played at Middlewood (Sheffield) but for some reason it was switched to Finch Farm.

Everton were aiming to bounce back after losing their last outing last weekend at home to Reading and today’s opponents Sheffield Wednesday were on maximum points having won their first two games.

Everton kicked off and as both teams settled down the visitors created the first surge on goal only for Forrester to break down when he intercepted the move. The Owls were awarded a free kick for a foul and there was a lengthy delay as full back Pennington went down with a nose bleed and from the restart Mitch Husbands fired over for the visitors bar without troubling Fitzgibbon.

Wednesday forced two corners in the first 15 minutes and were looking the more comfortable team , Everton to this point had not made Wall in the Owl’s goal active. Both teams in turn won possession in midfield without threatening and it was quite a dull affair.

Wednesday captain Obileye came close to breaking the deadlock when his header from a corner went over the bar and on 16 minutes Fitzgibbon had a shot covered as the ball sailed narrowly past his left hand post. Fitzgibbon again was to be called upon as Wednesday searched for a goal and a free kick was awarded for a foul against Dier. The ball from the free kick was squared and the shot was comfortably saved

Everton finally showed some promise on 25 minutes when Hallam Hope stretched his legs with a run down the right and the awaiting Forrester mis controlled the ball in the area as Moses the centre back recovered and cleared away, Orenuga picked up the ball from a good midfield move to trouble the visitors defence and again the Owls were equal to snuff out the danger, Orenuga 2 minutes later repeated his threat only for his run to be thwarted by Tumulty the fullback.

30 minutes into the game and Everton were now looking as they were up for this game and came close to going in front when again Orenuga caused some havoc with his speed and trickery, his ball was played out to Thomas on the left and the cross was whipped over to the onrushing Hope who was beaten to the ball by Wall with a two handed catch.

Hope and Forrester paired together as Everton had now stepped things up and looked livelier, Thomas received the ball from Forrester’s pass and again a diaganol ball from Thomas played into the area only for Henegahn to commit a foul on Tumulty and give Wednesday a free kick

33 minutes and Everton survived a scare when White attacked Everton’s full back Touray down the right, the ball was released only for the ball to go across the face of Fitzgibbon’s goal eluding everyone of the Owls front men and surprisingly went out for an Everton throw in.

The first half was drawing to a close and the 0-0 score line was a true reflection, Husbands took advantage of a Touray mistake but again the safe hands of Fitzgibbon held onto an effort from Husbands.

Everton had two last attempts before the break, the first was started with a good build up from the Everton midfield and Dier managed to get himself in the box only for his effort to whistle past the post and another chance again with another Thomas run his cross had too much pace on for Orenuga to make contact with. Wednesday managed to force two corners on the stroke of half time but Everton’s defence held out.

Good news from the Under 16’s game was that Everton’s youngster’s were 5-0 up at the break, how the Under 18’s game could have done with a goal or two from that one.

Half Time

Everton U18’s 0 Sheffield Wednesday U18’s 0

Both sides failed to introduce a substitute as they came out for the second half, as Wednesday got the second half underway.

Everton were the first to show danger to their opposition when the blues had won a corner. From Thomas’s delivery Dier as he has done in the past met the ball with a powerful header aiming downwards but Wall went swiftly down to his right to push the ball away with two hands and keep the game level.

Everton were looking more lively in the second period and on 60 minutes their dominance paid off when Orenuga again ran after Everton’s build up play was excellent. Forrester met the cross from close range with a header giving Wall in the visitors goal no chance

Confidence showed when Everton took control of the game forcing a series of corners but credit to Everton’s defence especially Heneghan who snuffed out any attacks, Wednesday managed to do on the break. Credit also to Pennington for keeping his opposition at bay. The visitors did have a good shout for a penalty as they pressed but Dinsmore the referee waved away the despairing appeals.

70 minutes into the game and Everton doubled their lead with again good build up play, the ball was released wide to Thomas who played the ball inside where Molineux despatched the ball with a shot that hit insideof the left post and beat Wall. Sean McAuley the Wednesday manager put his substitute goalkeeper Dawson on to replace Wall who put in a good shift in goal.

Wednesday came back at Everton straight away and Orenuga needlessly got himself booked for fouling Husbands and from the free kick the ball was wasted as frustration was playing it’s part. Orenuga received treatment for 3 minutes which gave both teams time to freshen up with liquids but McAuley took advantage of the delay to talk his team about rectifying the deficit.

73 minutes Thomas again on the left played a ball over after troubling his marker but nobody was equal to the delivery. Everton had two chances within a minute when first of all Forrester’s effort from 25 yards was no problem for Dawson and then 60 seconds later Orenuga’s work down the right was played to Hope who looked destined to score and make it three nil and amazingly somehow kicked the ball over the bar yards out when it looked impossible to miss, he was clearly annoyed with himself.

79 minutes Thomas took a free kick after Forrester was fouled only for the effort to hit the Wednesday wall and go out for a corner. Molineux’s corner was taken with ease by Dawson.

Fitzgibbon had an untroubled second half but a strong attack from Wednesday’s number 10 Ayoola was dealt with by Everton’s defence

Wednesday’s Fenwick ran through as the second half was coming to the end only for Mr Owen’s flag to come to Everton’s rescue but it looked as thought Everton’s defence had it covered anyway. In added time Gethin Jones who was quiet today played Forrester in only for his effort to go over the bar. Hope had Everton’s last chance of the game after Orenuga again assisted but the blue’s forward failed to convert.

I am going to give this weeks man of the match award to Ben Heneghan after a good solid display.

Full Time
Everton U18’s 2 Sheffield Wednesday U18’s 0

Everton’s win takes them up to third in the league behind Wolverhampton Wanderers and leaders Manchester City who have a 3 point lead.

Everton’s under 16’s beat Sheffield Wednesday U16’s 6-2

Everton; Fitzgibbon, Pennington, Touray, Heneghan, Dier ( c), Molineux, Orenuga, Jones, Hope, Forrester, Thomas, Unused subs; Higgins, Taudul(GK) Long, O’Brien, Eyre

Sheffield Wednesday; Wall (Dawson 70), Tumulty, Kingston, Moses, Obileye ( c), Fenwick, White, Husbands, Kyle, Ayoola, Carnham. Unused Subs; Rowbotham, Hague, Smith

Match Officials Referee Mr G Dinsmore Assistant Referees Mr J Owen Mr I Hegarty

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop