Everton Through After FA Cup Penalty Thriller

Everton go through in the FA Cup after a penalty shootout following an exciting 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

A Frank Lampard strike in the first period of extra time gave Chelsea the massive advantage as Everton tired rapidly as the game went on, and it looked to be enough to secure Chelsea the win.

However, a 119th minute astonishing free-kick from Leighton Baines was curled into the top corner with his left foot to earn Everton a penalty shootout.

The last laugh belonged to Everton, as Ashley Cole missed a crucial penalty for Chelsea and the Toffees progress thanks to a win on penalties.

Everton were determined to bounce back from an atrocious performance against Bolton last time out, and started brightly by closing down Chelsea players at every opportunity whilst looking for the counter-attack.

However, for all the positives, Everton still lacked the penetration needed to beat the better clubs, with Jermain Beckford looking industrious but failing to find himself a yard or two within which to work.

Chelsea had the best chance of the first half after Didier Drogba – once more resorting to amateur theatrics too often for a fans liking – put in Florent Malouda, but Everton ´keeper Tim Howard stood tall and deflected the Frenchman´s close range shot away from goal.

At half-time, Evertonians will have been content with their sides performance, with Leighton Baines proving a threat from the left with a series of dangerous crosses. The best of which found Coleman at the far post, but his knock back across goal was not anticipated by Fellaini.

The second half, however, saw Chelsea turn the screw. Everton still had their chances, with a Coleman header from a Bilyaletdinov cross forcing a save from Petr Cech.

Just before the 90 minutes expired, Baines had a rasping right footed shot saved by Cech, Fellaini converted the rebound, but the linesman rightfully ruled it out for offside.

Extra time started cagily, with Chelsea pressing the issue as Everton continued to tire, and Lampard put pay to the pressure applied by the Londoners. Anelka outfoxed Distin and Baines on the right, whipped in for Drogba who chested the ball down for Lampard to drill home low.

Everton fans would have been forgiven for giving up hope, as Chelsea eased down the clock. However, a moment of magic from Leighton Baines rescued the 1-1 draw with the most marvellously executed free-kick. Baines had been outstanding all game and must have impressed the England management as he outshone Ashley Cole all game.

Chelsea won the toss to decide how the penalties were to be taken. Leighton Baines was the first to miss, followed by Anelka to even things up.

Ashley Cole blasted a crucial 4th Chelsea penalty high and wide, giving Everton´s captain Phil Neville the chance to put Everton through. And Phil Neville bloody put it in!

EVERTON will play Reading in the next round of the FA Cup at Goodison Park.

My Cart Close (×)

Your cart is empty
Browse Shop