They weren't much good...but I loved 'em anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great list!!
Bizarrely always hoped against hope that somehow Mick Madar would do great things for us but it was not to be.
Jim Pearson would be another one. I was desperate for Mick Lyons to win something because he did actually love Everton too.
Ps I think Ronnie Goodlass' corner goal was at Roker Park Sunderland?

Could well be, Allez....my arl memory ain't what what it once was :(

I am nearly sure it was the Barcodes, though.....on a Good Friday circa 1979 during the Gordon Lee era.

I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Great list!!

Jim Pearson would be another one.

I almost included Jim in the team.

I loved him and back in those days footballers were much more accessible and Jim would show up down the She club or the Wooky Hollow of a Saturday night and would have a chat with random Evertonians.

:)

Could well be, Allez....my arl memory ain't what what it once was :(

I am nearly sure it was the Barcodes, though.....on a Good Friday circa 1979 during the Gordon Lee era.

I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Mine is not what it was either. Can't get the link on here but google about 4links down gets you an article in the red echo quoting goodlass himself saying it was at Sunderland. I was in the Sunderland section with friends from up there who held me down as in youthful exuberance I tried to jump up and celebrate!!! In that same match George Telfer, who would be a good sub in your team for this thread was nearly killed by a body check by a dog called joe Bolton. Decent lad and player. Was never the same again IMO. Guy ran from left back to right back to flatten him.
Ps we are up far too late haha.

I almost included Jim in the team.

I loved him and back in those days footballers were much more accessible and Jim would show up down the She club or the Wooky Hollow of a Saturday night and would have a chat with random Evertonians.

:)
Ha spoke to him on. Numerous occasions and saw him in the square in Maghull regularly. Down to earth guy and decent player IMO. So many in that team would have been ace in another era but we just had too many not quite got it players following a golden age.

Mine is not what it was either. Can't get the link on here but google about 4links down gets you an article in the red echo quoting goodlass himself saying it was at Sunderland. I was in the Sunderland section with friends from up there who held me down as in youthful exuberance I tried to jump up and celebrate!!! In that same match George Telfer, who would be a good sub in your team for this thread was nearly killed by a body check by a dog called joe Bolton. Decent lad and player. Was never the same again IMO. Guy ran from left back to right back to flatten him.
Ps we are up far too late haha.

Yes...we sure are, Allez :)

OK....Sunderland it is, then ;)

Amokachi for sure.

Bily, never got played in his correct position.

Marcus Bent, ran all day that season we finished 4th.

this fat guy

NUNOVALENTE.jpg

Tony Thomas, for his 2 assists for big Duncs hatrick. Always thought he had a good cross on him but injuries got in the way of him making more appearances. Everyone was injured that season though!

Will probably get slated for this, but I reckon Mik Madar shouldn't be on this list, because he was class. I think people forget how badly gash the team he was in was? I was living in "dat London" at the time, so was doing more aways than homes, but he always seemed to find the net. I can definitely remember a goal (debut?) at Selhurst (Palace I think, not Wimbledon). A classy finish at Tottenham when I was in the home end as well. At the time I really did think we had "our Cantona" (relative to our status under Walter at that time). Anyway maybe I'm over-doing the praise, as usually I was pretty tanked up for these games.

I remember watching that miss against the RS, when Ince equalised 30 seconds later, and I turned to my colleague who was watching in a London pub with me at the time and said "That's him finished. The fans will never forgive him".

Couple of years later I was in Paris for Easter weekend with the missus (that Graham Poll derby on the Friday night), and on realising you could buy tickets from the Virgin store for that weekends French League Cup Final, bought some as I wanted to see him for PSG.

He was injured, and didn't play as PSG fell 2-0 to Guingamp, a 2nd div team at that time. Was supporting Guingamp anyway. Seen some bad bellish behaviour from the PSG fans outside in the build up - whacking anyone who wasn't white basically.

Ian Wilson belongs in the list though. Occasionally able to bring sublime skill to an otherwise wretched game, I was there at Goodison when he scored his one and only goal for us, and it was a worldy.... by his standards.

Killa was superb for us, certainly not average. He didn't earn that nickname for no reason.

Barry Horne.

Drew Brand....billed as the next great Everton goalie, blew it all on one inglorious night at Leeds.

Hibbo....although his recent performances might rule him out of this list.
Micky Lyons....a man who would have run through a brick wall for his beloved Blues
Ian Marshall....great lumbering hulk who gave his all either at centre half or centre forward.
Zinedine Kilbane....sat in the dug out in the derby just days after he had been transferred out the club

Preki....I always felt there was a good player trying to get out
Gareth Farrelly.....never got the credit he deserved for the super strike which eased all the nerves v Cov in '98.
Gary Jones.....lived the dream, playing in the top flight for the Blues a year or two after working on the sites.
Ronnie Goodlass....he scored from the halfway line at West Ham one day and direct from a corner at the Barcodes. He was also the star when we beat the Mancs 3-0 at OT in the League Cup quarter final in '76/77.

Peter Eastoe....I used to have my then girl friend, now my long suffering wife, look at a programme results page and ask me the score and who scored the goals in any given match. Peter's name seemed to come up most circa 1980 and '81
Imre Varadi....if only for his exotic name.

Name yer favourite "average player" XI :)
Bit harsh Khalekan with Mick Lyons,great captain although one of the most unlucky players to have pulled on a blue shirt,Gary Jones had enough ability to have been the next George Best,just fell away one way or another,Ronnie should have been kept IMO when we signed Dave Thomas,imagine how many goals Latch would have got with those two supplying the ammunition?!!different era then as wingers weren't in vogue as much,Preki was a five a side player officially and looked like it and all!!Eastoe and Varadi,well just remember that day at Goodison in the FA Cup against that lot when we turned them over,that'll do for me!!!

Killa was superb for us, certainly not average. He didn't earn that nickname for no reason.

Barry Horne.

Barry Horne for me had the complete 180 turn around the Steven Naismith has had. Horne looked rubbish at first, but just got better and better, The wonder goal v Wimbledon and the complete renaissance as a midfield lynchpin under Royle.

I would have to say though that Denis Stracqualursi would be my choice. He got every last bit of energy he could muster from a performance, and you could see how much he appreciated the opportunity he had to play high level football. If every player put the same amount of heart into a performance as he did you would very rarely be beaten.

Drew Brand....billed as the next great Everton goalie, blew it all on one inglorious night at Leeds.

Hibbo....although his recent performances might rule him out of this list.
Micky Lyons....a man who would have run through a brick wall for his beloved Blues
Ian Marshall....great lumbering hulk who gave his all either at centre half or centre forward.
Zinedine Kilbane....sat in the dug out in the derby just days after he had been transferred out the club

Preki....I always felt there was a good player trying to get out
Gareth Farrelly.....never got the credit he deserved for the super strike which eased all the nerves v Cov in '98.
Gary Jones.....lived the dream, playing in the top flight for the Blues a year or two after working on the sites.
Ronnie Goodlass....he scored from the halfway line at West Ham one day and direct from a corner at the Barcodes. He was also the star when we beat the Mancs 3-0 at OT in the League Cup quarter final in '76/77.

Peter Eastoe....I used to have my then girl friend, now my long suffering wife, look at a programme results page and ask me the score and who scored the goals in any given match. Peter's name seemed to come up most circa 1980 and '81
Imre Varadi....if only for his exotic name.

Name yer favourite "average player" XI :)

....I liked Eastoe but also thought he was a decent quality footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.