They weren't much good...but I loved 'em anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark ward was a good player but became a booboy victim.stuart pearce said he was the winger he disliked marking the most

He was magnificent in that Arsenal game - was it the first in front of the Gwladys Street seats? - when we absolutely pasted them. Elton Welsby said on the highlights it should have been 7-1 rather than 3-1, and he was right... sadly of course it was a rare white area in an otherwise heavily soiled piece of toilet roll of a season.

I also liked how he regularly used to daftly foul someone in or around the 30 minute mark of games, it was so regular you could almost set your watch by it.

Li Tie. I desperately wanted him to be good, but he really wasn't

I saw his mate (Li Weifing?) play his only game for us at Southampton.

Li Tie had his moments but sadly can only remember the appalling dive in their box at the end of the Shrewsbury FA Cup game we lost.

The likes of Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper did a crucial job for us back in the day.

I never minded Simon Davies as a player and always admired James Vaughan for his total effort and enthusiasm.

Remember watching Micky Lyons score our 5000th goal against West Brom.

Crap game, pissing down and about 17000 in Goodison

But the goal summed up Lyons, high ball in the box, muck and bullets flying, and Lyons puts a diving header into the Street End net.

A real Evertonian...... Just understands what it's all about.

Remember watching Micky Lyons score our 5000th goal against West Brom.

Crap game, pissing down and about 17000 in Goodison

But the goal summed up Lyons, high ball in the box, muck and bullets flying, and Lyons puts a diving header into the Street End net.

A real Evertonian...... Just understands what it's all about.
A legend that man he would have played for free.
I remember that game happy days

Did he ever play centre forward for us or did that happen only after he left us?
Did he ever play centre forward for us or did that happen only after he left us?

Oh dear....is my memory letting me down again.....:confused:

This is the third time in less than a week I may have mis-remembered sommat.

I seem to recall big Ian filling in at centre forward for us but I am open to correction.

Oh dear....is my memory letting me down again.....:confused:

This is the third time in less than a week I may have mis-remembered sommat.

I seem to recall big Ian filling in at centre forward for us but I am open to correction.

There is hope! He scored his only goal for us - I think - away at Coventry in a 1-1 draw (early 86/87 season?) and I have a sneaky feeling he came on that day as a sub and we threw him up front with not long to go. I could be hopelessly wrong of course and he started the match at centre-half.

Mike Newell
Average to good footballer, but a really nice guy. He worked tirelessly off the pitch and represented the club at many community events, visiting hospitals etc. Would always take time out to chat with fans and nothing seemed too much trouble for him. Did wonderful PR work long before 'Everton in the community' was formed.

Gerry Humphreys ... scored a cracker at the Street End ... faded away somewhere?

Peter Scott & Stan Osborne ... as apprentices (?) went to Childwall College & were in same class when I went on a Friday. I remember Scotty getting a message that he was called up for the squad - Spurs away in 69/70. Don't think Stan played for 1st team but obviously still a huge Blue & had some stuff printed in WSAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.