Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are City guaranteed of 270m a year in revenue without dodgy commercial deals that are increasingly coming under scrutiny.

You're average ticket price is the cheapest in the country because you couldn't fill your stadium charging more. You've got very little over-seas support and what you do have will go if you have a couple of years not winning anything or being in the CL.

Currently there are 4 big clubs. Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool that can all generate huge revenue from their world wide support and there are only 4 CL places.

You also have the oldest average age squad so that will need to be replaced which will be impossible to finance under FPP. If you don't think that's a danger to City you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

The advantage Everton have is that our stars are young so we will improve not decline and if we where able to build a new stadium we would be able to generate more revenue excluding CL money.

The reason why I'm for FFP is for two reasons. It forces teams to "invest" in their first team not poach all the best young players and then loan them for a cost to teams like us and it stops another City happening which would push us down the pecking order as it's highly unlikely we would win that lottery and frankly I would prefer no-one be able to do that and instead have to rely on building a club up the proper way.

I'll take this point by point.

Whether you think a deal is dodgy or not isn't really relevant. That figure was our turnover for the season ending 2013, as I say 2014 will be larger with less total expenditure as it won't have Mancini and his staff's pay off on there, and several huge contracts.

Our average ticket price is the cheapest in the country and I'm proud of that. Shows we have owners who aren't in this to fleece the supporters for every penny they can get. I'd much rather that than certain other examples around the premier league of clubs who seem to use their supporters as a defacto bank.

You say we have very little overseas support - I'm not entirely sure how this is relevant to any discussion about FFP, but notwithstanding that, I'm not sure how some guy on an Everton forum is going to be in a better position to comment on the growth of City internationally than our chief executive. I won't bother reposting it but I posted somewhere on here a video of Soriano giving a talk in Abu Dhabi about City's business model. You could do well to watch it and learn something.

Also it's interesting that you've listed four clubs as being capable of generating "huge' revenue from their worldwide support. Do you have anything to back this up or am I again to take your word over the publicly available figures on all those clubs' recent revenues/revenue streams.

With regard City's ageing squad and FFP. Are you actually trying to argue that we can't with our vast television, and commercial income, buy players? We just spent 40 million on a centre half whilst having FFP restrictions. Next summer we'll have none. I'm sure we'll spend somewhere around 50 - 70 million. And we will be able to spend that each summer afterwards because of the upward trajectory our finances are taking. You seem to be indulging in some deep wishful thinking which i guess is your right.

So you think you have an advantage because "our stars are young". What stars? Ross Barkley is the only player in your squad who'd get into the first team at City. You have some good players don't get me wrong, but don't kid yourself about what you have. You have a very talented manager and a decent mix of ageing premier league stalwarts and some decent technical players. However you're about as far away from City as Swansea or Sunderland and you have about the same prospects as both those clubs without someone investing significantly in your playing squad and in your stadium.

Your final paragraph sums up your naivety with regards FFP. Whatever you think the "proper" way of building a club up is, the sum total is always the same. The more money you have, the better you will do as a club. Arsenal, Man United, and Liverpool have down the years had rich benefactor after rich benefactor pouring their own money into the club. You are basically advocating that the status quo should've remained how it was back in 99/00. United, Arsenal, Liverpool being the financially dominant clubs in the league with everyone else having them poach their best players.

Which leads me neatly back to Ross. My personal opinion is he's going to end up at United either in January or next summer. City aren't going to get into an auction with Mr Woodward and Ross' agents are going to sell him to the highest bidder. It'll be quite funny him moving from one non CL club to another.

You lot do love to drag out the "conceited/condescending" lines when you're faced with reality. I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about our owners "pulling out". Again, you have to look at the overall investment they're making in East Manchester to have some understanding of just how deep their roots now are in England. We're talking about a legacy asset that is not judged solely in pounds and pennies but is also judged in terms of it's historical importance. IN short, Sheikh Mansour's going nowhere.

So you think Coleman is a better right back than Zabaleta, Stones a better a centre half than Kompany/Mangala, McCarthy better than Toure, Fernandinho, Fernando, hell even Milner, Baines better than Kolarov and Clichy. Christ on a bike you need to either take more pills or less pills because that's the most deluded analysis of a group of players I've ever seen. Again, they're all good players. Stones may one day become a top drawer centre half - but he may also go the same way as Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Stephen Caulker, and every other great white hope who developed into a decent premier league player and nothing more.

And we'll rinse and repeat once more. If you think Sheikh Mansour is going anywhere anytime in the next decade, or if you think that City is built on a "house of cards" then you know nothing about City. You're just spouting ill informed bo**ocks because your ego has been pricked.

I'll repeat something I said way back in this thread. If you lot think I'm going to listen to you talk crap about City, our supporters, our fan base, our owners, and not answer in kind you're deluded. I'll be polite to those who are polite. I'll call a spade a spade though. It's up to the people who run the forum to decide if I'm welcome but as long as my username is active I'll presume I am.

Wages - How many of our players are over 60K a week?

Our wage bill is much bigger than those clubs you listed and so is our support. If we build a new stadium we could double our non-TV revenue and probably more than that to our commercial revenue.

Everton have loads of growth potential, organic growth potential that is that doesn't require artificially buying a team which could never be paid for through normal revenue.

I'm happy that as City fans and you are good fans that you've seen your team win however I don't believe Football should just be about money and the hope of one day winning the sugar daddy lottery.

Also on the issue of comercial deals and world wide support. It's not my opinion, yours or even City's board that matters but UEFA.

Those 4 teams have history and the last 50 years to build that support. City have none or that. It's like comparing PSG to Barcelona.

I never once said (and I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future) that your owner was going to sell up (but people said the same about the Walkers and Blackburn), merely that if he did you are nowhere near as financially secure as you like to pretend you are, if you were you would not have failed FFP. Many clubs have gone before you and spent big buying titles and are now in the Football league, big money owners can go as easily as they come. People say that FFP is there to protect the big clubs interests, wheras in reality is meant to be a safeguard against owners pumping large amounts of money in and then leaving the club with a huge wage bill and loads of debt.

Also wrt to you thinking that Baines and Coleman wouldn't get into your team I throw the 'either take more pills or less pills because that's the most deluded analysis of a group of players I've ever seen' line right back at you. McCarthy is not as good as Toure but is certainly of the level of Fernando and Fernandinho (though I accept that he doesn't have a foreign sounding name).

I would also like to point out that as the teams fighting for the title go, City are by far my favourite, I would just rather that you didn't come on here and chat rubbish about our players.

The bit in bold is highlighted as I did none of those things, merely gave the same critical assessment I would give of Evertons finances.

Couldnt care what you think we have a good squad and are bringing some great young talent through the academy and are in talks about a new stadium you dont know what are future holds and you can only guess how long your owner will stay

in a Ross Barkley thread.

Is right mate.

Lads, it's an interesting discussion, but this thread is titled "Ross Barkley" for a reason. If you want to talk about City and FFP, then there's a thread dedicated to that already. If people want to talk in general terms about City, then do it in World Footie. It's fine to mention Citeh in respect to any rumours ( since quashed ) that they were after Ross, but if the talk isn't pertinent to Ross then it'll be deemed to be off-topic.

Off Topic
Sure if Fifa is anything to go with our teams will all be in the low and mid 80s in a couple of years with a couple of genuine world stars in the forward positions.

That's title challenging statistics. :)

Is right mate.

Lads, it's an interesting discussion, but this thread is titled "Ross Barkley" for a reason. If you want to talk about City and FFP, then there's a thread dedicated to that already. If people want to talk in general terms about City, then do it in World Footie. It's fine to mention Citeh in respect to any rumours ( since quashed ) that they were after Ross, but if the talk isn't pertinent to Ross then it'll be deemed to be off-topic.
Sorry just saw this.

Off Topic
Historically and support wise without doubt. But ultimately if you look at the wages you pay, the transfer fees you pay, etc then you can see that you're all operating in the same market place and your squads are all equally far away from City's. That's not a put down it's a reality.

You should ask yourself where would you be if it had not been for the Arab oil money before you come sniping at our players.

So you think you have an advantage because "our stars are young". What stars? Ross Barkley is the only player in your squad who'd get into the first team at City. You have some good players don't get me wrong, but don't kid yourself about what you have. You have a very talented manager and a decent mix of ageing premier league stalwarts and some decent technical players. However you're about as far away from City as Swansea or Sunderland and you have about the same prospects as both those clubs without someone investing significantly in your playing squad and in your stadium.
Gonna ignore the rest of the drivvel as I don't have as much time on my hands as you.

But, this bit shows how clueless you really are.

a) Over who? Silva? Nasri? Fernando? Fernandinho? Toure? No chance.

b) Baines is better than both Clichy and Kolarov, Coleman is better than Zabalete, Howard is probably on a par with Hart, same for Mirallas/Navas and I'm better that Demichelis.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.