Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad i read from the bottom upwards sometime stopped at this'
were bigger than them both together you know mate

However you're about as far away from City as Swansea or Sunderland and you have about the same prospects as both those clubs without someone investing significantly in your playing squad and in your stadium.

glad i read from the bottom upwards sometime stopped at this'
were bigger than them both together you know mate

Historically and support wise without doubt. But ultimately if you look at the wages you pay, the transfer fees you pay, etc then you can see that you're all operating in the same market place and your squads are all equally far away from City's. That's not a put down it's a reality.

So you think you have an advantage because "our stars are young". What stars? Ross Barkley is the only player in your squad who'd get into the first team at City. You have some good players don't get me wrong, but don't kid yourself about what you have. You have a very talented manager and a decent mix of ageing premier league stalwarts and some decent technical players. However you're about as far away from City as Swansea or Sunderland and you have about the same prospects as both those clubs without someone investing significantly in your playing squad and in your stadium.

Your final paragraph sums up your naivety with regards FFP. Whatever you think the "proper" way of building a club up is, the sum total is always the same. The more money you have, the better you will do as a club. Arsenal, Man United, and Liverpool have down the years had rich benefactor after rich benefactor pouring their own money into the club. You are basically advocating that the status quo should've remained how it was back in 99/00. United, Arsenal, Liverpool being the financially dominant clubs in the league with everyone else having them poach their best players.

Which leads me neatly back to Ross. My personal opinion is he's going to end up at United either in January or next summer. City aren't going to get into an auction with Mr Woodward and Ross' agents are going to sell him to the highest bidder. It'll be quite funny him moving from one non CL club to another.

Whilst I did not fully agree with the post you replied to, your post is one of the most conceited pieces of condescending nonsense I have read on here in a while.

Firstly (as it is the bit that irked me the most): Coleman, Baines, Barkley, McCarthy and maybe Stones would all walk into your first team.

Secondly: Your finances are essentially a house of cards that will only stand as long as the owners are propping it up, which if they keep pumping the money in is fine. If that were to stop then you are nowhere near as attractive an investment as United/Arsenal/RS are as their commercial income makes yours look tiny.

I am entirely sure Blackburn thought the same way that you do now back when they bought the league, but once the owner goes the story is always the same....

Historically and support wise without doubt. But ultimately if you look at the wages you pay, the transfer fees you pay, etc then you can see that you're all operating in the same market place and your squads are all equally far away from City's. That's not a put down it's a reality.

I genuinly agree mate, we are in a low-medium spending bracket, no were near the Uniteds and Liverpools of this world.
I think you should just enjoy your fortune whilst you have it, owners eventually pull the plug on spending once they have acheived the league title etc. The main question is how you stay self sustainable after the money men have gone. Liverpool and United will always be rich whilst im alive because our generation mainly growing up in the Sky era were titles with money are the only way.

In regards to your Barkley to united comment, there is a possibility, although i hope it doesnt happen, i mean we have already lost Baines, Coleman, Fellaini and McCarthy to them. Oops sorry just Fellaini, you sound like a undercover journo from the mail or that other bullshit paper.

" ALL EVERTON EMPLOYEES ARE FOR SALE TO UNITED ONLY "

Welcome to GOT mate ;)

Whilst I did not fully agree with the post you replied to, your post is one of the most conceited pieces of condescending nonsense I have read on here in a while.

Firstly (as it is the bit that irked me the most): Coleman, Baines, Barkley, McCarthy and maybe Stones would all walk into your first team.

Secondly: Your finances are essentially a house of cards that will only stand as long as the owners are propping it up, which if they keep pumping the money in is fine. If that were to stop then you are nowhere near as attractive an investment as United/Arsenal/RS are as their commercial income makes yours look tiny.

I am entirely sure Blackburn thought the same way that you do now back when they bought the league, but once the owner goes the story is always the same....

You lot do love to drag out the "conceited/condescending" lines when you're faced with reality. I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about our owners "pulling out". Again, you have to look at the overall investment they're making in East Manchester to have some understanding of just how deep their roots now are in England. We're talking about a legacy asset that is not judged solely in pounds and pennies but is also judged in terms of it's historical importance. IN short, Sheikh Mansour's going nowhere.

So you think Coleman is a better right back than Zabaleta, Stones a better a centre half than Kompany/Mangala, McCarthy better than Toure, Fernandinho, Fernando, hell even Milner, Baines better than Kolarov and Clichy. Christ on a bike you need to either take more pills or less pills because that's the most deluded analysis of a group of players I've ever seen. Again, they're all good players. Stones may one day become a top drawer centre half - but he may also go the same way as Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Stephen Caulker, and every other great white hope who developed into a decent premier league player and nothing more.

And we'll rinse and repeat once more. If you think Sheikh Mansour is going anywhere anytime in the next decade, or if you think that City is built on a "house of cards" then you know nothing about City. You're just spouting ill informed bo**ocks because your ego has been pricked.

I'll repeat something I said way back in this thread. If you lot think I'm going to listen to you talk crap about City, our supporters, our fan base, our owners, and not answer in kind you're deluded. I'll be polite to those who are polite. I'll call a spade a spade though. It's up to the people who run the forum to decide if I'm welcome but as long as my username is active I'll presume I am.

Coleman is a better right back than Zabaleta, Stones a better a centre half than Kompany/Mangala, McCarthy better than Toure, Fernandinho, Fernando, hell even Milner, Baines better than Kolarov and Clichy
Doesn't really matter what we think, the players (including City ones) voted Coleman best right back last year - Zabaleta is a fantastic RB who deservedly won it in 2012 but Coleman just edges him at the moment because of his goal record.

And imo Baines is certainly a better LB than Kolarov or Clichy - for his injury record and free kicks/penalties if nothing else - probably why he was voted best left back two years running although last year he dropped in form a bit.

The others probably wouldn't get into your first team I agree although think your owner would like to buy Stones if you got the chance.

I keep hearing and reading conflicting reports.

Does anyone know when we might expect to see Ross back in action?

He's started running and, according to Martinez, is about a week ahead of schedule. I'd guess we'll see him on the bench back end of October and starting some time in November.

More generally. There's some interesting discussion on here about FFP, Man City and other general footie talk. Can we try and keep this thread to discussion directly about Ross Barkley though ?

Wages - How many of our players are over 60K a week?

Our wage bill is much bigger than those clubs you listed and so is our support. If we build a new stadium we could double our non-TV revenue and probably more than that to our commercial revenue.

Everton have loads of growth potential, organic growth potential that is that doesn't require artificially buying a team which could never be paid for through normal revenue.

I'm happy that as City fans and you are good fans that you've seen your team win however I don't believe Football should just be about money and the hope of one day winning the sugar daddy lottery.

Also on the issue of comercial deals and world wide support. It's not my opinion, yours or even City's board that matters but UEFA.

Those 4 teams have history and the last 50 years to build that support. City have none or that. It's like comparing PSG to Barcelona.

Last edited:

I'm happy that as City fans and you are good fans that you've seen your team win however I don't believe Football should just be about money and the hope of one day winning the sugar daddy lottery.
I don't think many people do...but it is. And will remain so barring a massive change in the market.

We do have loads of growth potential though, and comparing us with Swansea or Sunderland on wages is a bit much. But we will not reach the heights of City, Chelsea, or United simply because of the sums involved. We require them to be poorly managed and us to massively exploit market inefficiencies. But we also have to understand that if we get total gems, there is a likelihood of them being bought by the super wealthy clubs.

I don't think Ross will be leaving next summer, and with luck he is sentimental enough to stay for his entire career, but if he's not then there is not much we can do about it.

You lot do love to drag out the "conceited/condescending" lines when you're faced with reality. I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about our owners "pulling out". Again, you have to look at the overall investment they're making in East Manchester to have some understanding of just how deep their roots now are in England. We're talking about a legacy asset that is not judged solely in pounds and pennies but is also judged in terms of it's historical importance. IN short, Sheikh Mansour's going nowhere.

So you think Coleman is a better right back than Zabaleta, Stones a better a centre half than Kompany/Mangala, McCarthy better than Toure, Fernandinho, Fernando, hell even Milner, Baines better than Kolarov and Clichy. Christ on a bike you need to either take more pills or less pills because that's the most deluded analysis of a group of players I've ever seen. Again, they're all good players. Stones may one day become a top drawer centre half - but he may also go the same way as Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Stephen Caulker, and every other great white hope who developed into a decent premier league player and nothing more.

And we'll rinse and repeat once more. If you think Sheikh Mansour is going anywhere anytime in the next decade, or if you think that City is built on a "house of cards" then you know nothing about City. You're just spouting ill informed bo**ocks because your ego has been pricked.

I'll repeat something I said way back in this thread. If you lot think I'm going to listen to you talk crap about City, our supporters, our fan base, our owners, and not answer in kind you're deluded. I'll be polite to those who are polite. I'll call a spade a spade though. It's up to the people who run the forum to decide if I'm welcome but as long as my username is active I'll presume I am.

I never once said (and I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future) that your owner was going to sell up (but people said the same about the Walkers and Blackburn), merely that if he did you are nowhere near as financially secure as you like to pretend you are, if you were you would not have failed FFP. Many clubs have gone before you and spent big buying titles and are now in the Football league, big money owners can go as easily as they come. People say that FFP is there to protect the big clubs interests, wheras in reality is meant to be a safeguard against owners pumping large amounts of money in and then leaving the club with a huge wage bill and loads of debt.

Also wrt to you thinking that Baines and Coleman wouldn't get into your team I throw the 'either take more pills or less pills because that's the most deluded analysis of a group of players I've ever seen' line right back at you. McCarthy is not as good as Toure but is certainly of the level of Fernando and Fernandinho (though I accept that he doesn't have a foreign sounding name).

I would also like to point out that as the teams fighting for the title go, City are by far my favourite, I would just rather that you didn't come on here and chat rubbish about our players.

The bit in bold is highlighted as I did none of those things, merely gave the same critical assessment I would give of Evertons finances.

Doesn't matter who they buy, how much they win or what their support is like, for some reason I still can't take City serious as a top team.
If they bought Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson ... (are they not the 3 best players in world football?.. oh.. whoever then..), I still wouldn't see them as a big club.

They clearly are, they've bought the trophies to prove it, and its obviously a perception thing on my part, but since you got relegated in the 90's and then only popped up on occasion, staying down there for so long, I can't shake this small club view of that club, even now I see United as a far scarier prospect.
Doesn't help that we have such a good record against you even with your billions I guess.

Still I like watching you play, and score... hate the celebration, and your general play is right up there with Chelsea's and Arsenals and I am a strong advocate of upping your acknowledgement in the media because unlike Liverpool... you actually f*ing won, which would surprise anyone who didn't know, the sheer amount of backslapping going on for the kopite failures.

Got no problems with City, but why come on here being a bell in a Ross Barkley thread.. Who is currently far from good enough for City, unlike Coleman who clearly is more than good enough.

Couldnt care what you think we have a good squad and are bringing some great young talent through the academy and are in talks about a new stadium you dont know what are future holds and you can only guess how long your owner will stay

Status
Not open for further replies.