Ross Barkley vs Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so far Rooney wins on this, however if Barkley learns how to protect the ball a little bit better and when to pass or run with the ball he could become an all round better player than Rooney.
I don't think there are many better players to learn this from than Eto'o.

Also Rooney move on to a team with better players than we had, and Ross, due to injury hasn't really had the chances both on the international stage or domestic as of yet.
All in all I think this is a hard one to call.

Its a strange one really, ask evertonians whether Rooney has fulfilled his potential and 90% will say no but hes been a pivotal member of a side that has won everything while he's been there. I'll never forget that 0-0 against Bolton where quite frankly he took the piss out of them.

If Barkley has half the career Rooney has had then he has done well

rooney is judged against this idea he should (have) been one of the best players in the world

while i did think he'd reach those heights, i stll think he's underrated as a striker. creative goalscorer who has been scoring and creating for the last 12 years

I think Barkley has already achieved more for us at Everton than Rooney did,all I can recall really are the wonder goal at home v Arsenal,the winner at Leeds and the one down at Arsenal,just hope Ross can go on and achieve his ambitions with us.:cool:

Barkley is one of the only players You will see who can hit a ball just as hard with his left as well as his right, see his goal at Norwich.

I see your point, but we had a season with Rooney when we were quite a decent side. I remember a game against Bolton when Rooney was just amazing and running the game. Even at 21, Ross hasn't had a game like that for us yet.

The City game at home last season where Barkley scored that goal and was the best midfielder on the pitch even with Toure playing gives us a sign of his potential. Hopefully

I see your point, but we had a season with Rooney when we were quite a decent side. I remember a game against Bolton when Rooney was just amazing and running the game. Even at 21, Ross hasn't had a game like that for us yet.
I'd say last season Ross was completely running the game vs Arsenal away, Wenger had to swap his entire midfield 3 at half time to cope with him as his runs through the centre were carving them open - we just couldn't get the goals to reflect it.

Wonder what would have happened in the home derby as well if Baines hadn't got injured - Ross had Lucas Leiva in his back pocket up until he was moved to take Barry's place as he filled in at LB.

“I knew of Ross before I came here and when I met Roberto to talk about the team he was one of the people I was asking about,” said Eto’o. “It is a pleasure and an honour for me to play with him and I think he can become this unique player that everyone dreams of.

“He has the same type of quality as Wayne Rooney had when he was here and he can even be better. He’s still young so it’s our work now to be around him and make sure he improves and delivers what he should deliver.

“I think we need to wait until the end of the season to see the kind of impact my advice will have on the younger guys. Not only on Romelu Lukaku, but a lot of the talented younger players in the dressing room that I think can benefit. We will see then what influence I have been able to have. “

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/samuel-etoo-says-everton-fcs-8032349

Status
Not open for further replies.