Ross Barkley vs Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

markDee

Player Valuation: £2.5m
Who is the most naturally gifted player?

I know Rooney was a beast at 16 and Ross has emerged later but he did have a nasty injury, and also Moyes prefered Neville in midfield for some reason so he didn't get enough chances which has maybe held his development back.

This isn't a snide at Rooney because he's obvioulsy one of England's best ever players, but I think Barkley could surpass him if he carries on improving.

Or cheese on toast?

It's Rooney id say it's reasonably comfortable as well at 18 he was taking games for England and United by the scruff of the neck.

Rooney, He'd been arguably the best player in a major international tournament at the age Barkley is now

That's not to say Barkley isn't a wonderful gifted player in his own right but Rooney had the potential to be the greatest player in English history at a youngoung age.

Shame he squandered it mind

Natural maybe rooney but ross just has so many aspects to his game, hes got everything.

Also Rooneys a fat ogre

Yes. Ross has a potential Hollywood career after football too.

Rooney will be in fairy tales to scare children

Different players, different circumstances

When Rooney was 16 he had the body of a 21 year old, he was a man. The ages of 18-24 saw him at his peak. At 29 the early development which was a bonus in his younger years is now a big negative, although age wise he's 29 his body is that of a man a few years older. The explosiveness and speed has gone - two of his main assets

Barkleys development was stunted by a horrific injury, he's only really grew into a man over the last 12 months. Look at how he looked physically against Norwich at the start of last season, he was still a boy. He needs a long injury free extended run, eventually he'll get that and blossom. He glides past players, he drifts effortlessly into space, his ball control is second to none. Unlike Rooney he doesn't rely on explosiveness or pace which in the long term will prolong his career at the highest level. We'll see the best of Ross in his late 20s, I just pray it's at Everton

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.