Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 11 seasons, ave 7.54
without 17th, ave 6.6
without 4th, ave 7.9

I'm no statistician so my view is far from being remotely near the right answer, that appears to suggest a bigger swing to the average based on what I consider the anomoly compared to ruling out 4th.

Im not sure really why would exclude any of the finishes, they should all be included. Else we are just designing stats to prove a persons opinion.

He's already eclipsed Moyes achievements - more points in a season, beaten Man United away from home, won an FA Cup medal. Played better football...
I think its fair to say that he is alreeady looking a better manager.
I disagree. I personally think actually finishing 4th with a far worse squad than Martinez inherited, eclipses a 5th placed finish that was 8 points away from displacing 4th.

That’s not really my point though. I’d say they are both good managers. I think Martinez would have struggled just as much as Moyes did if he had been given the Manchester United job when Moyes was last year. And it’s early days at the moment, but even Mr Van Gaal is looking a little uncomfortable in that situation right now.

My point is that Moyes was entirely accurate when he spoke about our inability to break into the elite without significant investment. The comments were entirely inappropriate for an Everton manager to make, as it ultimately has a negative effect on things like confidence etc. However his comments were entirely accurate and they remain truthful, imo. And I can’t see Martinez proving Moyes wrong on that point.

Last edited:

My point is that Moyes was entirely accurate when he spoke about our inability to break into the elite without significant investment. The comments were entirely inappropriate for an Everton manager to make, as it ultimately has a negative effect on things like confidence etc. However his comments were entirely accurate and they remain truthful, imo. And I can’t see Martinez proving Moyes wrong on that point.

Except he was wrong.

On at least two occasions in the second half of Moyes's tenure we looked favourite to clinch fourth place only for him to chicken out and retreat into his defensive shell instead of kicking on.

Just by coincidence, or not, the two best chances came during the protracted contract negoiations of '08 and '13.

Martinez blew it from an even better position last season but he at least did so by marching to the sound of the cannon on the fateful night Palace came to town.

What Moyes proved by blowing those chances and what Bobby underlined last season is that a team can indeed make the top four without "significant investment".

Staying there is a diferent matter.....but there is no reason why a club like Everton can't make fourth place even on an one off or occasional basis notwithstanding our financialo travails.

He's already eclipsed Moyes achievements - more points in a season, beaten Man United away from home, won an FA Cup medal. Played better football...

I think its fair to say that he is alreeady looking a better manager.

It isn't even that.

What he has done is given us hope again.

FFS I can't wait to go to Goodison these days.......the last few years of the Moyes era it had becone a chore.

The man did a good job for us, it's a shame he was such a bell upon leaving.

We didn't play the greatest football and bottled it on big occasions but we did play some nice stuff in his last couple of seasons here and we could have done worse.

Will never be remembered as an Everton great based on the simple fact that we won nothing under him.

I disagree. I personally think actually finishing 4th with a far worse squad than Martinez inherited, eclipses a 5th placed finish that was 8 points away from displacing 4th.

That’s not really my point though. I’d say they are both good managers. I think Martinez would have struggled just as much as Moyes did if he had been given the Manchester United job when Moyes was last year. And it’s early days at the moment, but even Mr Van Gaal is looking a little uncomfortable in that situation right now.

Not being funny, but we really did crawl over the line that year. It was a freak season, we did our best to throw it away but all the other teams did.

Moyes done a decent enough job when he was at Everton , sure he had his faults but anybody saying he never is thick as pig schite and will prob turn on Martinez in the long run.

The man did a good job for us, it's a shame he was such a bell upon leaving.

We didn't play the greatest football and bottled it on big occasions but we did play some nice stuff in his last couple of seasons here and we could have done worse.

Will never be remembered as an Everton great based on the simple fact that we won nothing under him.

Pretty much nailed it.

Bollox his home record was good.
Yes , but most years it was plain hoof ball - my brother who is 66 has now returned to watch decent football RM is serving up - RM has also used the loan market - we play football from the back - Ross Barkley had splinter in his backside under DM in one season RM made him an English international - that's the difference imo not stats - style and exciting play - Gregg wanted to sack DM when we finished 17th - RM also broke the points tally in the prem - destroying the myth of the legend dithering stab us in the back DM!

Not really arsed about Moyes anymore, I think the bloke has well and truly learnt his lesson. Has been publicly humiliated and had his reputation in the game (which was never as good as the media made out anyway) tarnished, possibly irreparably.

The team he sodded us off we beat and embarrassed twice. We're a better side now without him and everyone knows it. 99% of Evertonians are happier now than we were during his final few years and everyone knows that too.

Wherever he ends up now I'm not bothered about. As long as there's no more digs at us or trying to rob our players, then our beef with him is settled.

I'm not sure about that midas touch of being able to spot talent. The truth of the matter our name helped him attract that talent. Martinez and Moyes both went for Stones but we got him. In a way we can get away with paying less in the market, we've been a bit like how Arsenal have conducted their business over the last 10 years and ultimately it makes the manager look good.

Where we'll have a problem and ultimately have to pay over the odds is getting real proven CL quality players but we would never or could never be in that market as things stand.

Martinez will ultimately live and die on his ability to being in young players who can develop into CL quality. A trait Moyes never really showed.

Moyes problem was that he never pulled (though this could be part management's fault) a big money move on a striker. Something we probably should have used the Fellani money on. Its no shock that our best footie was played in 2007-08 when we had a XX? year old Yak in his prime. The optimism going into 2012-13 was based on the fact we finally found that guy, and he turned out to be a 1/2 season wonder (I remember the OMG we are going to have trouble holding on to Jelavic talk). If we had someone like Lukaku that season we get 4th easy. I think Man Utd 2 years ago and Liverpool last year proved how many cracks in a side that a world class striker can cover up.

Yes our name does have cache, but as far as Moyes not developing players and such, I think there is something to be said about players going to pot as soon as they leave us. The only ones I can think of are Rooney (who was young) McBride? (who was a rental) and Simon Davies. I also think that there are young players like Nugent and Naughton who would have totally different careers if they came to play for us and Moyes. I could so see someone like Baines being bought by Rednapp, getting disillisioned and being out of football right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.