Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I would add is he would be perfect for the west ham job.

He could easily build them up into a CL chasing team in 5 years or so given their move to the olympic stadium. I don't think he's suitable for a top 4 job now, Spurs might have been an option but i think Poch will be there for a while. I also think a foreign move wouldnt go well if anyone would even take him. Ultimately he's had his chance at a CL club.

Newcastle has a tit of a chairman. He will be wary of that. Villa might be a good shout. A very big club that have been under performing for a while now.

Although just been reading past posts. I sort of agree he never really got the size of the club or our history but ultimately I think thats more a reflection of where we where when he took over, Moyes' personality not an ego thing and should not be read as an insult. He's more comfortable being the under-dog where there's little pressure to succeed, one of his best performances at Utd was against Bayern unfortunately thats not good enough for Utd or ultimately us in the end.

My feelings on him is that he's an excellent manager. Few managers in the world have the eye for talent in the below 8M and below transfer market that he has. The club has almost always given its all and played hard for him and while some teams have fallen out of the prem due to injuries sometimes we have played better. Plus the players he does find rarely leave when bigger offers from clubs arise and the players that do leave rarely get better when they move on.

My feelings for him are pretty much the same feelings I have for Arteta. I loved him while he was here and the good times were great, fantastic even and the bad times were few. And like Arteta he probably stayed about a year too long here and they both got a bit snidey when they both left.

He needs to go somewhere where what he does extremely well (find cheap to mid range players and get them to play hard) can get you C-League and/or even win you a title. That's not going to happen in the prem. However with Dortmund slowly getting gutted, 2nd and C-League is possible in Germany, a title is possible in Italy with a Roma/Napoli sized club, you can also win a title in Holland and finish top 4 in Spain.

He doesn't have the stature to manage a dominating club - too much self-doubt and searching for excuses. He was overwhelmed by the United job. I sometimes wonder if it's left him a bit broken and reputation counts for a lot in management. I can see him having a Fat Sam / McClaren career from here on in - a decent manager but very unlikely to get to a CL club in the UK. He seemed very resentful towards our club at the end and I can't really forgive him that.

A younger, less successful Walter Smith.

Hope he doesn't get a job in the prem. Not afraid to admit that if he took over a team like West Ham I'd be scared to play them

My feelings on him is that he's an excellent manager. Few managers in the world have the eye for talent in the below 8M and below transfer market that he has. The club has almost always given its all and played hard for him and while some teams have fallen out of the prem due to injuries sometimes we have played better. Plus the players he does find rarely leave when bigger offers from clubs arise and the players that do leave rarely get better when they move on.

My feelings for him are pretty much the same feelings I have for Arteta. I loved him while he was here and the good times were great, fantastic even and the bad times were few. And like Arteta he probably stayed about a year too long here and they both got a bit snidey when they both left.

He needs to go somewhere where what he does extremely well (find cheap to mid range players and get them to play hard) can get you C-League and/or even win you a title. That's not going to happen in the prem. However with Dortmund slowly getting gutted, 2nd and C-League is possible in Germany, a title is possible in Italy with a Roma/Napoli sized club, you can also win a title in Holland and finish top 4 in Spain.

I'm not sure about that midas touch of being able to spot talent. The truth of the matter our name helped him attract that talent. Martinez and Moyes both went for Stones but we got him. In a way we can get away with paying less in the market, we've been a bit like how Arsenal have conducted their business over the last 10 years and ultimately it makes the manager look good.

Where we'll have a problem and ultimately have to pay over the odds is getting real proven CL quality players but we would never or could never be in that market as things stand.

Martinez will ultimately live and die on his ability to being in young players who can develop into CL quality. A trait Moyes never really showed.

Moyes in my opinion was an ordinary manager but the media hyped him to appear better than he really was
Unfortunately Moyes believed the hype and thought he could easily carry on where Ferguson left off.The United
job was always going to be too much for no matter how. Long he was allowed to stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.