Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
At times in his last season, we played quite well under Moyes

I seem to recall us playing quite splendidly against Swansea away and also against Southampton at home

There were times where we played some of the bigger sides and were unlucky. Barkley almost scored a wonder goal at The Emirates. We played hard and tried to win at Chelsea. Got a draw at the Etihad and then beat both Manchester sides at home

Should have beaten Liverpool at Anfield but had a goal wrongfully disallowed

I'm pretty sure it was time for him to go, but we didn't do too badly under him. In time, I think he'll be seen more favourably and the postives will be highlighted more than the negatives

I agree mate, he's quality at transfers with little budget, especially defenders and CM and indeed wingers, not so much at RW though or the Striker position, never really sorted that in all his time, but the rest yeah he spotted the quality players and the potential within them others didn't.

That's because they cost loads of money. Moyes has never been given 28m to spend on one player. He bought most of the team for that amount.

However with the little money he did bring in Yakubu (who was brilliant until his injury), Saha and Cahill. As for the right wing, he bought Mirallas.

But that's the problem it doesn't cost as much to build a top 6 defence as it does a top 6 attack yet both will probably achieve about the same position in the league. Which is around 7th.

At times in his last season, we played quite well under Moyes

I seem to recall us playing quite splendidly against Swansea away and also against Southampton at home

There were times where we played some of the bigger sides and were unlucky. Barkley almost scored a wonder goal at The Emirates. We played hard and tried to win at Chelsea. Got a draw at the Etihad and then beat both Manchester sides at home

Should have beaten Liverpool at Anfield but had a goal wrongfully disallowed

I'm pretty sure it was time for him to go, but we didn't do too badly under him. In time, I think he'll be seen more favourably and the postives will be highlighted more than the negatives

None of these are something to behold at our club though mate.

I remember my old mate David every day, I've got the cannonball kid above the fireplace, a bust of Dixie sitting on the hearth, the golden vision above my bed and good old David Moyes framed just above the lavatory. I'm getting all misty eyed thinking about when I first had the pleasure to meet with David, I'd just given Walter the old heave oh and he hot footed it down from Preston on a cold Winters evening. I said David have you had supper, "nay"he said, I said Jenny get some boiled eggs on, David would you like one egg or two ?, "ay Bill i will have two, soft boiled, crusts off the toast", straight forward was David, he talked my language shirts from M&S, by God he knew we couldn't afford Armani.

Moyes made fans believe that 7th-10th was an amazing achievement and could only be done with percentage football. Load of nonsense - he fixed the team, I will give him that and made some excellent signings. He never utilised the talent that he amassed in the right way.

He sandbagged his way to a lovely fat contract and started believing his own hype. His eyes got too big for his belly and his limitations that we all seen were magified at United - after all he couldn't use his penknives to gunfights analogy could he?

To truly appraise his performances you don't look at the teams he finished just behind and think "ooh we finished 8 points behind Arsenal" - look at the teams he finished above, you would expoect us to have done that the majority of the time. Below the top 7 teams under Moyes the premier league was always pretty bang average. He milked that for all its worth and made fans accept some pretty dire and negative football on the way - settling for draws away to QPR etc etc.

I think that's inherentley unfair when you consider the financial restraints he faced

I don't. The financial restraints were predominantly the sell to buy policy. He did that well, but the reality is, he was also able to pick up international class players of free transfers or low end transfer fee's because we could pay the wages of £50k a week, the likes of Wigan could only pay £20k max - this limits the market dramatically.

If you look at where we were placed in terms of player salary expenditure - we finished in and aroudn where we should have done.

Far too much is made of Moyes "success" at Everton. I bet in his time off he tries to play to an 18 handicap at golf whilst really being a 10.

I don't. The financial restraints were predominantly the sell to buy policy. He did that well, but the reality is, he was also able to pick up international class players of free transfers or low end transfer fee's because we could pay the wages of £50k a week, the likes of Wigan could only pay £20k max - this limits the market dramatically.

If you look at where we were placed in terms of player salary expenditure - we finished in and aroudn where we should have done.

Far too much is made of Moyes "success" at Everton. I bet in his time off he tries to play to an 18 handicap at golf whilst really being a 10.

I just don't understand this viewpoint

Do you think we should have been winning the league under Moyes or something?

Success is relative to situation

Regardless of how great we were in the 60's and the 80's, years of poor ownerwship and management had made us regular members of the relegation dog fight when Moyes came in. When he left we were regularly getting quite far in the cups and fighting for places in Europe

That is a marked improvement and is in turn a relative success

To deny that to Moyes is incredibly unfair. He left us stronger than when he got here

He laid the groundwork for Martinez to possibly take us even further

THAT his why his time here was a success

Last edited:
Moyes made fans believe that 7th-10th was an amazing achievement and could only be done with percentage football. Load of nonsense - he fixed the team, I will give him that and made some excellent signings. He never utilised the talent that he amassed in the right way.

I'm sorry if Moyes made you believe that mate, most people make their own minds up though, never understood why people would rely on a manager or a chairman to decide their perceptions of a situation.

He sandbagged his way to a lovely fat contract and started believing his own hype. His eyes got too big for his belly and his limitations that we all seen were magified at United - after all he couldn't use his penknives to gunfights analogy could he?
I think this means he was greedy for leaving a club that had spent 10mil in 11 years to go to United who had won everything, and spent hundreds of millions in that time... Its what any sane person would do to be fair, nothing to do with greed, it would be very unambitious of him to stay wouldn't it?

To truly appraise his performances you don't look at the teams he finished just behind and think "ooh we finished 8 points behind Arsenal" - look at the teams he finished above, you would expoect us to have done that the majority of the time. Below the top 7 teams under Moyes the premier league was always pretty bang average. He milked that for all its worth and made fans accept some pretty dire and negative football on the way - settling for draws away to QPR etc etc.

Those bang average clubs were consistently finishing above us before Moyes, not below us simply because we were so far below average, to the point we struggled to stay in the league on several occasions, we were below those average teams and now we look down on them because of the job Moyes did.

I just don't understand this viewpoint

Do you think we should have been winning the league under Moyes or something?

Success is relative to situation

Regardless of how great we were in the 60's and the 80's, years of poor ownerwship and management had made us regular members of the relegation dog fight when Moyes came in. When he left we were regularly getting quite far in the cups and fighting for places in Europe

That is a marked improvement and is in turn a relative success

To deny that to Moyes is incredibly unfair. He left us stronger than when he got here

Winning the league??? No not at all. But to undermine the talent of the players we had in the squad by consistently talking about how other clubs had this that and the other was pathetic.

His tactics and substitutions smacked of a man who never trusted these players to express themselves in an expansive game.

He would play a finished Phil Neville in midfield to try and stop the other team playing when we had Ross Barkley who could give them something to think about.

Before playing Blackpool he was more concerned about stopping Charlie Adam as opposed to using Mikel Arteta to hurt them. Just two examples of how he gave us such irritation.

We finished where we should have finished, but did so in a style that was akin to that of a boxer who wants to go the distance, not get knocked out and therefore not try and knock the other fighter out. Boring, drab, percentage play when the fans and the players deserved much more adventure.

I'm sorry if Moyes made you believe that mate, most people make their own minds up though, never understood why people would rely on a manager or a chairman to decide their perceptions of a situation.

Never made me think that - I grew up believing Everton were better than that, poor league finishes were an exception not the rule, but playing with some style was a necessity.

I think this means he was greedy for leaving a club that had spent 10mil in 11 years to go to United who had won everything, and spent hundreds of millions in that time... Its what any sane person would do to be fair, nothing to do with greed, it would be very unambitious of him to stay wouldn't it?

He wasn't doing Volunteer work in a Barnardos charity shop... he was the 5th highest paid manager in world football at one stage. The 5th highest paid manager without having the RISK of wasting money - he was in a win win situation, he always had his excuse and it suited him down to the ground. I don't begrudge him taking the united role, I just disliked the manner in which he treated us.

Those bang average clubs were consistently finishing above us before Moyes, not below us simply because we were so far below average, to the point we struggled to stay in the league on several occasions, we were below those average teams and now we look down on them because of the job Moyes did.

It was hard not to do that - we were that poor. We had Walter Smith who was negligent in his duties, he had his bullying side kick Archie Knox destroying the young lads. I honestly believe many more managers other than Moyes would have improved us.

Moyes laid a strong foundation for Martinez to build on

I'm sure that partly the reason we did so well last year was because Martinez enjoyed such a smooth transition to the role

If we win anything under Martinez, then Moyes legacy will be that he stabilised us to a point that Martinez could take the reigns and push us over the line

Status
Not open for further replies.