Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes , but most years it was plain hoof ball - my brother who is 66 has now returned to watch decent football RM is serving up - RM has also used the loan market - we play football from the back - Ross Barkley had splinter in his backside under DM in one season RM made him an English international - that's the difference imo not stats - style and exciting play - Gregg wanted to sack DM when we finished 17th - RM also broke the points tally in the prem - destroying the myth of the legend dithering stab us in the back DM!

I'm not saying Martinez isn't doing a better job so far, just that Moyes did a decent job for us as well.I think your kidding yourself if you say he never.

The year Everton finished 4th. Everton won seven games out of the last 22.

Liverpool finished 5th. Because they were consecrating on getting to the final of the champions league which they did

Middlesbrough finished 6th. Because they were consecrating on getting to the final of the Europa league which they did.

I think this puts Everton finishing 4th. Into perspective.

Liverpool finished 5th. Because they were consecrating on getting to the final of the champions league which they did

Middlesbrough finished 6th. Because they were consecrating on getting to the final of the Europa league which they did.

Yes Dave it was a massive achievment, Christ you sound like a Kopite belittleing it.

And Everton were concentrating on finishing 4th, which they did.

*Makes sign of the cross

Moyes problem was that he never pulled (though this could be part management's fault) a big money move on a striker. Something we probably should have used the Fellani money on. Its no shock that our best footie was played in 2007-08 when we had a XX? year old Yak in his prime. The optimism going into 2012-13 was based on the fact we finally found that guy, and he turned out to be a 1/2 season wonder (I remember the OMG we are going to have trouble holding on to Jelavic talk). If we had someone like Lukaku that season we get 4th easy. I think Man Utd 2 years ago and Liverpool last year proved how many cracks in a side that a world class striker can cover up.

Yes our name does have cache, but as far as Moyes not developing players and such, I think there is something to be said about players going to pot as soon as they leave us. The only ones I can think of are Rooney (who was young) McBride? (who was a rental) and Simon Davies. I also think that there are young players like Nugent and Naughton who would have totally different careers if they came to play for us and Moyes. I could so see someone like Baines being bought by Rednapp, getting disillisioned and being out of football right now.

World Class or Top Class in our case make the difference especially in the big games or when things aren't going to plan. Although there was loads wrong with Deulofeu it was the reason we would have all wanted him to stay. Same with Ross.

Moyes never really had those players, Arteta was probably the closest however the one time he did have a chance to take a chance was the FA Cup Semi-final against Liverpool and he dropped Drenthe. And in that game we put out a team that had no attacking flair or pace whatsoever. It sort of summed him up for me.

I can understand why he did it but we started with Gueye instead in that game. For me that was when I finally gave up on him.

Except he was wrong.

On at least two occasions in the second half of Moyes's tenure we looked favourite to clinch fourth place only for him to chicken out and retreat into his defensive shell instead of kicking on.

Just by coincidence, or not, the two best chances came during the protracted contract negoiations of '08 and '13.

Martinez blew it from an even better position last season but he at least did so by marching to the sound of the cannon on the fateful night Palace came to town.

What Moyes proved by blowing those chances and what Bobby underlined last season is that a team can indeed make the top four without "significant investment".

Staying there is a diferent matter.....but there is no reason why a club like Everton can't make fourth place even on an one off or occasional basis notwithstanding our financialo travails.

I'm not quite sure how referring to instances in which Moyes and Martinez failed to break into the elite proves Moyes' analogy wrong?

In a way, Everton's league finish in 2005 proves Moyes wrong. But despite the fact that it was a valid achievement which should not be belittled in any way (and certainly not just because one wants to make themselves feel better about Martinez), it WAS an anomaly, inasmuch that it is still the only occasion in which a club with meagre resources has managed to break into the top four.

I can't see it happening again any time soon, but please believe me when I say I would LOVE to be proved wrong on the matter.

Not being funny, but we really did crawl over the line that year. It was a freak season, we did our best to throw it away but all the other teams did.

It's still Everton's biggest achievement in about 19 years. I don't think you can call an entire season a 'freak result'. We were the 4th best team in England that season.

bignev23 I promise you I,m far from a Kopite if they gave scholarships out for hating Liverpool I,d have gone to

Oxford or Cambridge

Then again with my spelling. ,,,,,,, maybe not,,

Moyes problem was that he never pulled (though this could be part management's fault) a big money move on a striker. Something we probably should have used the Fellani money on. Its no shock that our best footie was played in 2007-08 when we had a XX? year old Yak in his prime. The optimism going into 2012-13 was based on the fact we finally found that guy, and he turned out to be a 1/2 season wonder (I remember the OMG we are going to have trouble holding on to Jelavic talk). If we had someone like Lukaku that season we get 4th easy. I think Man Utd 2 years ago and Liverpool last year proved how many cracks in a side that a world class striker can cover up.

Yes our name does have cache, but as far as Moyes not developing players and such, I think there is something to be said about players going to pot as soon as they leave us. The only ones I can think of are Rooney (who was young) McBride? (who was a rental) and Simon Davies. I also think that there are young players like Nugent and Naughton who would have totally different careers if they came to play for us and Moyes. I could so see someone like Baines being bought by Rednapp, getting disillisioned and being out of football right now.
The Yak at 11 million years ago was a big buy imo! sold him for 1 million?

Bollox his home record was good.

You lost me at bollox.

I'm not quite sure how referring to instances in which Moyes and Martinez failed to break into the elite proves Moyes' analogy wrong?

It proves him wrong because quite clearly it was very possible for us to break into the top four on those occasions and both our recent managers failed to make it due to what appear to be errors of judgement In tactics or team selection rather than lack of cash.

IF
1. He hadn't have bottled the cup final
2. He hadn't have bottled the semi-final
3. He hadn't acted like such a t1t in trying to buy Baines and Fellani

Then
He would be remembered as saving us from oblivion, stabalizing us, getting us playing some decent stuff, and making us competitive again

However, he did 1-3, and so he will probably be remembered as dour who couldn't break through his own glass ceiling, and his negativity on the full potential on everton ultimately held both us and himself back

IF
1. He hadn't have bottled the cup final
2. He hadn't have bottled the semi-final
3. He hadn't acted like such a t1t in trying to buy Baines and Fellani

Then
He would be remembered as saving us from oblivion, stabalizing us, getting us playing some decent stuff, and making us competitive again

However, he did 1-3, and so he will probably be remembered as dour who couldn't break through his own glass ceiling, and his negativity on the full potential on everton ultimately held both us and himself back

Agree with all of that.

At the end of the day, it's not just how we remember him, it's how he remembers us.

He lacks warmth towards us - he's always been something of a cold fish, but he's clearly distanced himself from us. It's very odd and very sad that someone can spend 11 years at Everton, do a lot of great things, and yet still not have a lasting connection to the point he doesn't see Everton in the same light as Everton greats do, the likes of Kendall, Royle, Southall, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.