Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes laid a strong foundation for Martinez to build on

This. Reckon the time and the club was right for Bobby and he was a revelation last season. But if he'd taken over with us in the same position as when Moyes took over?

Moyes took over from Smith mid-March and saved us from relegation. For that, I will always remember the ginger fondly.

Tarnished his rep the way he treated us after leaving, but I'd say we evened that score rather nicely and then some, so all is forgiven.

I'm sure that partly the reason we did so well last year was because Martinez enjoyed such a smooth transition to the role

If we win anything under Martinez, then Moyes legacy will be that he stabilised us to a point that Martinez could take the reigns and push us over the line
Yes and then told the club and fans lies and left and did crap at United, and got sacked, also tried his best to poach our players the same way he went to UNT - some fans have short memories he was just another Gordon Lee only Gordon left us with more dignity and played better football - DM came in a tracksuit , and left a millionaire - 3 good seasons in 11, and some of the most boring hoof ball I have ever witnessed!

Reactions: NEC

I'm sure that partly the reason we did so well last year was because Martinez enjoyed such a smooth transition to the role

If we win anything under Martinez, then Moyes legacy will be that he stabilised us to a point that Martinez could take the reigns and push us over the line

Moyes laid a strong foundation for himself to build on... he actually recruited excellent talent. The problem was that he could not uitilise that talent to the best of its ability. His record with strikers was appalling, truly abysmal - 1 season of them doing what they had always done and then for whatever reason they had their natural game coached out of them.

If he was a director of football and working in talent procurement then I would say he would give so much more. In charge of managing that talent??? nah...

Moyes made fans believe that 7th-10th was an amazing achievement and could only be done with percentage football. Load of nonsense - he fixed the team, I will give him that and made some excellent signings. He never utilised the talent that he amassed in the right way.

7th-10th?

Our finishing positions were:
7th
17th
4th
11th
6th
5th
5th
8th
7th
7th
6th

Much better than 7th-10th and unmatched by any club on even a vaguely similar budget.

7th-10th?

7th
17th
4th
11th
6th
5th
5th
8th
7th
7th
6th

Much better than 7th-10th and unmatched by any club on even a vaguely similar budget.

That averages out to 7th / 8th. So it is exactly were th lad said.

Also, you need to base our "Budget" on Wages even more so than money spent.

If you do, you will find that we should finish around 7th - 8th.

Really, he had us finishing were we should have. Granted that is ok like, and his acheivemnet was getting us to this point, from under-acheivers to were we should always have been.

Yes, thats quite good, but that is what he was paid for, lets not go over-board.

17th is the anomoly in that list and can be blamed on any number of things. How do the averages look without that?

7th-10th?

7th
17th
4th
11th
6th
5th
5th
8th
7th
7th
6th

I'm not disputing where we finished - i'm stating how Moyes dampened expectations to suit his style and approach to some games. Will try not to get into performances against the traditional top 4 or specifically Liverpool.

Thats irrelavant to me mate, Moyes did ok. lets not go over-board.

He has contributed 1 date, to our honours list....'Runner up 2009'

I will NEVERE celebrate this, as an Evertonian.

I agree. However I apply the same outlook to my appreciation of Martinez. It's all very similar to when Moyes took over, to be honest.

Moyes was seen as a breath of fresh air and having a far more attacking philosophy than the dour, no score bore draw, Walter Smith. He then became the infallable grand bastion of virtue who never tells lies, and anyone who suggested that someone could do better than Moyes was castigated and ex-communicated.

Moyes tendency to tell the truth lol eventually caused a problem with Evertonians, as it is totally unacceptable to be so defeatest when you are a football manager.

But I honestly think it is very difficult to argue with Moyes knife to a gun fight analogy, and I don't think Martinez will eclipse Moyes 'achievements' without proper investment.

I agree. However I apply the same outlook to my appreciation of Martinez. It's all very similar to when Moyes took over, to be honest.

Moyes was seen as a breath of fresh air and having a far more attacking philosophy than the dour, no score bore draw, Walter Smith. He then became the infallable grand bastion of virtue who never tells lies, and anyone who suggested that someone could do better than Moyes was castigated and ex-communicated.

Moyes tendency to tell the truth (lol) eventually caused a problem with Evertonians, as it is totally unacceptable to be so defeatest when you are a football manager.

But I honestly think it is very difficult to argue with Moyes knife to a gun fight analogy, and I don't think Martinez will eclipse Moyes 'achievements' without proper investment.

Agree with you mate.
But I feel with Martinez, we will acheive more, due to his style and approach, but if he does not, then for me he will be treated the same as Moyes.

These days 'success' is talked about all the time, the actual meaning of it has even changed. Im ok with not being successfull at times, and I dont like trying to re-creat what "Success" is, just to justify a season or person = Moyes.

Moyes tendency to tell the truth lol eventually caused a problem with Evertonians, as it is totally unacceptable to be so defeatest when you are a football manager.

He's already eclipsed Moyes achievements - more points in a season, beaten Man United away from home, won an FA Cup medal. Played better football...

I think its fair to say that he is alreeady looking a better manager.

7th-10th?

7th
17th
4th
11th
6th
5th
5th
8th
7th
7th
6th

Them two years we finished 5th that was our peak with Moyes pienarr , arteta, Cahill, jags, lescot it was a good spine. I'd of liking to see Lukaku, Mirallas and good Coleman added to that team. That would be a prober 4th challenge.

I do recall during Euro 2012 when he was linked with Spurs. It was good that he stuck around for that final year as it segued perfectly to Martinez

It really was right for a change when he left and Martinez having that extra year to win the cup no doubt helped his case when he first showed up at Finch Farm

I have no real beef with Moyes anymore. We beat his United squad twice and that pretty much doused any remaining embers of rage I had left towards him

I could say the same about 4th.....What do we average without that ??

All 11 seasons, ave 7.54
without 17th, ave 6.6
without 4th, ave 7.9

I'm no statistician so my view is far from being remotely near the right answer, that appears to suggest a bigger swing to the average based on what I consider the anomoly compared to ruling out 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.