Persistence of Martinez - Time to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having watched his overall game closely for the past weeks I have to disagree with you, sorry. I still support him but maybe playing Kone next to him is the better option atm?

Might be tricky fitting the two of them in along with Naismith and Barkley, but at least we could be trying something. I don't think Rom is the problem, if we sort ourselves out behind him he may get better and more chances, and more confidence.

Good Evening BAWK..but yes you are correct. Tactically he is becoming a joke at this stage. Wonder what BS he will come out with after this?

Maybe the title was misleading because I am fully behind Martinez. However, he has got to recognize that the 4231 just isn't working with the players he is using anyway:
1. Barry - Slow, lost all desire and is a shadow of the player he was last season. Time to be ruthless and drop him.
2. Naisy (out wide) - This just doesn't work. Centrally or nowhere.
3. Barkley (out wide) - Should also play centrally whether it is deeper or behind the striker.
4. Distin - Can't pass, slows us down. Stones back soon is the best news for a while.
5. Baines - Maybe Garbutt is a better option at the moment. Seems to care about his hair more than Football.
6. Lukaku - Time to prove your worth. Doesn't seem to care at the moment either. I'd bring Kone in.
Hoping for a new formation in the coming games, even some experimentation.
Stoke, Newcastle and Hull won't be easy.

Agreed - RM needs to play either Naismith or Barkley behind Lukaku - playing either wide just does not work.
Could use Baines in Left Midfield and put Garbutt ar Left Back (Garbutt then can take all the corners - he looks good going forward and not a bad defender.
Jags needs to play left centre back as he does for england and put stones at right centre of the defence.
Eto should only be used as a sub for the last 20 mins (him starting with Lukaku just does not work - it worked at Burnley)
Howard needs to be replace (buy a new keeper)
Play Lukaku for 70 mins then replace with Kone (but start Kone the following game, to keep things fresh and Lukaku gets a rest).

Howard (for now)
Coleman Stones Jags Garbutt
McCarthy Besic
Mirallas Barkley Baines
Lukaku

I have lost faith in him i see the man who took wigan down easily and not the man from last season.
The starting line up and tactics were wrong again today and to think we were playing a side who had lost 5 on the spin and had a lot of players out

OK I'm going to do this in (hopefully) a non knee-jerk and fume way

1) Unfortunately this is not FM and we can't just park 3 strikers in front of Barkley. Naismith can do a job shutting down people on the wing (Villa game) however we need a 'clogger' in the absence of McCarthy to flood the midfield. Every game I see the midfield getting disconnected and running into blind spots. When Barkley runs he needs support, people are just waiting for the perfect FIFA long pass, if that makes sense.

2) Our centre backs and keeper are just clearly not comfortable on the ball even under very mild pressure which leads to back passes again and again

3) Lack of interplay in the wings that leads us open and susceptible to counters, especially if we fall behind.

4) A lone striker who's link-up play is improving but still looks frequently isolated.

5) a hope that the players have the talent and wherewithal to shake things round.I believe we need to make substitutions earlier.

6) The same game from the start. Martinez has shown in Europa that we can go away and play on the counter and get results and change the team formation - far from the ideologue people claim Martinez to be. We've even done it at Anfield and Hibbert was actually quite boss. We need to think about other styles other than flooding possesion

I feel we're two consecutive wins away from gaining confidence, but knee jerking 'Martinez out' from the usual suspects who simply want a return to Pulis hoofball and grinding to 8th each year and are happy not trying something different after our highest premier league points total EVER does not help

Status
Not open for further replies.