Persistence of Martinez - Time to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Rom is having a decent season considering that he came into the side injured and has gotten poor service all season. However he's 21 and has never had a season in which he's played so much. There are just some days like today where he's not going to have it. Hell there are some matches where Aguero doesn't have it going for him. Isn't this why we have a 5M pound striker who's game is somewhat different and might change things up for the final 1/3rd of match as his backup?

Barkley was still learning his perferred position and now he's out wide.

The veteran leadership that we had on the side last year. Jags, Distin, Howard and Barry have regressed to varing and worrisome degrees.

I have lost faith in him i see the man who took wigan down easily and not the man from last season.
The starting line up and tactics were wrong again today and to think we were playing a side who had lost 5 on the spin and had a lot of players out

The things was we made Southampton look good, as we were so poor. They got lucky with the first goal.
How they did not get a Pen as Jags just kicked Long.

Everything Southampton did just came off - we are not getting any luck in away games.

RM has just said he didn't make any subs because the team out there was the right one and that we were not outplayed!

I think Rom is having a decent season considering that he came into the side injured and has gotten poor service all season. However he's 21 and has never had a season in which he's played so much. There are just some days like today where he's not going to have it. Hell there are some matches where Aguero doesn't have it going for him. Isn't this why we have a 5M pound striker who's game is somewhat different and might change things up for the final 1/3rd of match as his backup?

Barkley was still learning his perferred position and now he's out wide.

The veteran leadership that we had on the side last year. Jags, Distin, Howard and Barry have regressed to varing and worrisome degrees.

Lukaku is a very good striker and has a good finish, but how many chances do we as a team create for him?
Lukaku is always coming for the ball away from goal and he is not a threat like that.

statistics about goals do, things like possession and pass completion don't even if you ignore statistics apart from terrible corners what did he do wrong that game?
His goals are from penalties. Can you honestly say watching him over the past 18 months that hes a patch on the baines of 2 years ago.

Hes been very poor in my eyes but he can do no wrong in some eyes and you arent allowed to say it how it is

Just play players in there right postions,and stop Baines taking corners lol,they are getting worst,we will beat Stoke on Friday lol [i hope,] and they have 2 days less as they play Monday,and have to travel to Goodsion
Yeah and Southampton played mid week and were missing half their team today :)

Martinez said: “The most disappointing thing was the way we defended our box. We were a little bit soft and were undone by three balls that went into the six-yard box.

“We are to blame for the defeat because we didn’t defend any simple ball into the box well. Our record shows that we are normally a lot better in that respect and that is where we lost the game.

“The second half we started with a good mentality and we had Southampton where we wanted them. All they wanted to do was work on the counter-attack.

“But it was disappointing to concede three goals the way we did. Clearly it was a day when nothing went in our favour because even when we created opportunities we never hit the back of the net. The difference between the two sides was in the boxes.”

Martinez also explained why he did not make any substitutions during the game.

He added: “I did feel that the team was the right one to get back into the game. I wanted the players to show the right intention to get back into the game.

“I never felt that we were outplayed - it was a matter of the way we defended our 18-yard box rather than any tactical aspect.”

Stubborn and he spoke a lot of bull. It doesn't seem he thinks the tactics and selection are a problem.

Maybe the title was misleading because I am fully behind Martinez. However, he has got to recognize that the 4231 just isn't working with the players he is using anyway:
1. Barry - Slow, lost all desire and is a shadow of the player he was last season. Time to be ruthless and drop him. Agree he needs to be dropped don't know what happened to him.
2. Naisy (out wide) - This just doesn't work. Centrally or nowhere. Also agree. If McCarthy isn't fit for Stoke move Ross to CM and Naisy to CAM.
3. Barkley (out wide) - Should also play centrally whether it is deeper or behind the striker. I think he's best as a CAM right now but i just want him centrally not wide.
4. Distin - Can't pass, slows us down. Stones back soon is the best news for a while. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to bring Stones on so he can gets some minutes under his belt so we can get him back ASAP but no for some reason we didn't do a [Poor language removed] sub!
5. Baines - Maybe Garbutt is a better option at the moment. Seems to care about his hair more than Football. The hair comment is stupid but Baines has been poor and Garbutt deserves a start so I'd like to see Garbutt given a shot but the reason Baines is been poor is because he's not getting any link up play with a winger and then there's no winger dropping back to support him defending, it's why Coleman has been poor too, it's our tactics making them crap not them individually.
6. Lukaku - Time to prove your worth. Doesn't seem to care at the moment either. I'd bring Kone in. I agree it's time for him to prove his worth, he's getting [Poor language removed] all service but when you spend 28m they need to be a player you can rely on to turn things around, i know you're just 21 Rom but we need you to start making something out of nothing and help us turn it around. I disagree when you say he doesn't care, he covers a lot of distance over a game and you see his reaction when he misses or stuffs up.
Hoping for a new formation in the coming games, even some experimentation.
Stoke, Newcastle and Hull won't be easy.

Thoughts on OP in bold.

Lukaku is a very good striker and has a good finish, but how many chances do we as a team create for him?
Lukaku is always coming for the ball away from goal and he is not a threat like that.

And that is why you change things up every once in a while. We have 3 guys who can play CF now Kone, Eto and Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.