Leon Osman

Useful squad player ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leon Osman is a bog standard midfielder, nothing more nothing less. He is simply doesn't have enough to his game to get into this side

I posted my thoughts on Pienaar in the match thread which includes Osman to an extent. Osman may not be great but he's more important to us than a lot make out. A player in the mould of Pienaar or Osman is VITAL for Martinez's system.

I posted my thoughts on Pienaar in the match thread which includes Osman to an extent. Osman may not be great but he's more important to us than a lot make out. A player in the mould of Pienaar or Osman is VITAL for Martinez's system.
I do agree with this, just don't Osman is good enough for the role, midfield is all about balance, you need people with discipline, people with athleticism, you need direct people, and you also need players who will link the play inbetween. Pienaar does this better than anyone in the squad, Osman will try and play that role, I just think Pienaar is braver on the ball, he will play around corners were as Osman most of the time just goes straight back to the original passer. Pienaar also, doesn't come with the physical attributes of a 10 year old with tuberculosis. I do completely agree, another player of this ilk is essential

I do agree with this, just don't Osman is good enough for the role, midfield is all about balance, you need people with discipline, people with athleticism, you need direct people, and you also need players who will link the play inbetween. Pienaar does this better than anyone in the squad, Osman will try and play that role, I just think Pienaar is braver on the ball, he will play around corners were as Osman most of the time just goes straight back to the original passer. Pienaar also, doesn't come with the physical attributes of a 10 year old with tuberculosis. I don completely agree, another player of this ilk is essential

Totally agree. He's not good enough but he's better in that role than anything else we have, barring Pienaar. I'm confident Martinez will be looking to improve us in that area. We need it.

Totally agree. He's not good enough but he's better in that role than anything else we have, barring Pienaar. I'm confident Martinez will be looking to improve us in that area. We need it.
I'd like to see Jimmy mac develop more to his game, I think he has it in him, coupled eith his energy it would make him some player if he can start moving the ball better, I suppose Gibbo would help with this, I wish he was fit right now

I'd like to see Jimmy mac develop more to his game, I think he has it in him, coupled eith his energy it would make him some player if he can start moving the ball better, I suppose Gibbo would help with this, I wish he was fit right now

I think McCarthy needs to add that stuff to his game if he's going to be our box to box CM for the foreseeable future. Yeah I think we miss Gibson more than we realise.

I think McCarthy needs to add that stuff to his game if he's going to be our box to box CM for the foreseeable future. Yeah I think we miss Gibson more than we realise.
yeah right now, as much as I like him, I'm yet to see a shot, through ball or the sort of confidence on the ball you want from a CM. When he alongside Barry, who while very good, is a little too one footed in his passing, which makes him predictable, were going to have to develop more in that quartet between the two CM'S and CB'S

Leon Osman is a bog standard midfielder, nothing more nothing less. He is simply doesn't have enough to his game to get into this side

From december:

as far as his manager Roberto Martinez is concerned, Roy Hodgson should give serious consideration to including Leon Osman when the time arrives to pen the 23 names he will take to Brazil.

Osman won two caps last season, against Sweden and San Marino, which some regarded as being just reward for a model professional who had conducted his career in the right manner at all times.

article-2524308-1A1A494A00000578-381_634x425.jpg

icon_camera_90x68.png
+4
Back in form: Leon Osman scored against Fulham this weekend

But the elegant midfielder showed in Everton’s latest victory that advancing years and a lack of minutes have not diluted his quality. He excelled in the thumping of Fulham, scoring a wonderful goal to earn praise from Martinez.

There was, however, substance to Martinez’s argument about why Osman can be considered in the frame for the World Cup finals.

‘There are two types of player — and that is being very brutal,’ said Martinez. ‘There are thinkers and the players who don’t think. Unfortunately, we haven’t got too many thinkers.

‘Leon is a bright, bright footballer. He takes concepts and ideas in. He understands the reasons behind them. He makes the team think.

article-2524308-1A1A4D1300000578-157_634x413.jpg

Finding the net: The midfielder slammed home a left foot shot in their victory

‘You look at his fast feet in tight spaces. He always gives you something different.

‘The first goal is an example of that, understanding where the space is. He finds it, then he is very quick to get into a position. The execution of the goal is terrific. He is unique in what he does. He has got a lot to offer. Leon showed he can still have a role for England and can still help the national side.

‘It is a squad game nowadays. Whenever you are on the pitch, you have to have quality and make an impact. Leon was as good against Fulham as he has been all season.’
/QUOTE]

You mean to Improve McCarthys distribution and forward runs?

Strangely enough, for all the criticism Leon Osman attracts, our results have been marginally better with him in the side as opposed to Steven Pienaar - and that includes the awful (2003-4 and) 2005-6 seasons which obviously count against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.