First league match lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* another Pienaar basher.

Bonkers to me, it really is. The lad had an injury hit season, fine. But doubting the lads quality is foolish to me.

He'll be one of the first players the manager looks too, 'is he fit? Get him in'.

Osman played in every game last season. Him and pienaar will have a similar role and both will perform better, this year, for having cover to give them a rest. Assuming one doesn't have an injury hit season.

All going well until Piennar, surely he's finished in Roberto's pacy team.

He provides the short option for our midfield and allows us to have variation in attack with Baines pushed on. Something like the below diagram:

upload_2014-7-31_19-47-30.png

Last edited:
What i like about this thread is there must be 7 or 8 alternative line ups and i like the look of all of them! The key for me is at last we will be having a decent bench with attacking options, just cant wait!!

If we sign no one else (which I doubt):

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
McCarthy Barry
Mirallas Barkley Pienaar
Lukaku
Bench: Robles, Oviedo, Stones, Besic, McGeady, Osman, Naismith

Unused: Hibbert, Garbutt, Alcaraz, Gibson, Kone, McAleny

Fixed. Gibson has to prove his fitness IMHO. Until then, Besic gets the nod.

Fixed. Gibson has to prove his fitness IMHO. Until then, Besic gets the nod.

Based on Gibson in pre-season, he's looking fit to me. He's also proven in the Premier League. If he doesn't pick up an injury he'll be on the bench against Leicester.

Based on Gibson in pre-season, he's looking fit to me. He's also proven in the Premier League. If he doesn't pick up an injury he'll be on the bench against Leicester.
Based on the World Cup, Besic looked fit. He also marked Messi virtually out of the game, which is no mean feat. He's got as much of a shout of taking the bench spot as Gibson has, and personally I would give Besic the nod because he's able to provide cover at CB too: something Gibbo doesn't offer.

I wouldn't be at all upset if Gibson was picked though, as it would indictae that he's match fit.

For the first time in years we can actually field a very strong side with a good bench and even have good players being forced to sit on the stands. Add a striker and another winger/AM and we can field a second string that would be decent enough to enable us to advance in domestic cup games against sides from the lower Leagues, allowing us to completely rest our first 11.

There's some serious competition for places now, imagine what it'll be like with another couple of quality signings in key area's, a headache for me is Stones, he is really good at bringing the ball out of defence and his passing is good and this is very important for our team

There's some serious competition for places now, imagine what it'll be like with another couple of quality signings in key area's, a headache for me is Stones, he is really good at bringing the ball out of defence and his passing is good and this is very important for our team

Almost always makes one mistake a game though, credit to him he normally clears it up himself like. I'd rather Distin started for the first 3 games. I see him being first choice by the end of the season though.

While our starting 11 may not be that much different than last year, the difference will be seen on the bench. Martinez will have options and there will be good players not getting consistent games. Previously you knew who the subs would be 80% of the tie because we only had one at each position (Naismith for Striker, Della or Mcgeady on the wings and Osman for the middle). This season Roberto will have the luxury of being able to be more tactically fluent dpending on the situation which I think is a good thing.

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Stones Baines
Mirallas McCarthy Barry Guardado
Barkley
Lukaku
Subs: Robles, Hibbert, Distin, Gibson, Pienaar, McGeady, Kone

it's hard to pick 7 for the bench tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.