How interested are you in the womens team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love womens football- when at its highest level.
The World Cup and Olympics is always brilliant entertainment- lots of great goals- and the players have boobs.

its absolutely ****e. I remember watching Argentina v Germany in the world cup a few years ago.

the Argie keeper couldnt kick it out of her penalty area and scored 5 own goals ffs.

That is top level womens football!

its absolutely ****e. I remember watching Argentina v Germany in the world cup a few years ago.

the Argie keeper couldnt kick it out of her penalty area and scored 5 own goals ffs.

That is top level womens football!

just found it, it's not that bad to be fair. I mean, they are women after all.

[video=youtube;jKzujiHV_wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzujiHV_wg[/video]

For me I think the underlying problem regarding the popularity of women's sports lies in the fact that women in general don't follow sports in the UK. I know a few yank ladies, who are quite fit too I might add, who regularly go to watch baseball, football, and basketball games.

I can't think of any women I know in the UK who go to watch a game of football, rugby, or cricket. I'm aware women go to watch big events like rugby internationals, but they're hardly going for the game, they're going for the event and the big day out etc

Until women take some responsibility for the popularity of women's sports, they'll remain marginalised. Why on earth women prefer the drivel that are soap operas to watching a game is beyond me.

For me I think the underlying problem regarding the popularity of women's sports lies in the fact that women in general don't follow sports in the UK. I know a few yank ladies, who are quite fit too I might add, who regularly go to watch baseball, football, and basketball games.

That's an interesting cultural difference, then. In the States, a lot of women are very into sports. They might not all follow it quite as closely as their male counterparts (able to name every player, break down tactics and the like), but I'd say that most of the women I know at the very least have a favorite team, know their own players, watch/go to games, etc. Basketball is enormous where I live, and almost the entire city is mad about the local team. Even the women's team regularly draws 5-9,000 fans to games (the men's team consistently gets 24,000 for every single game).

The Portland Thorns over here get fantastic support, some games saw around 20k in attendance, better than some premier league teams that. Found some fan videos from games to see the numbers and how people have got behind them here. Having a little girl I love the fact that its a big deal here, in the UK I didn't know a single girl that went to or played a sport, so different here.

[video=youtube;FzibAcjW3PE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzibAcjW3PE[/video]

Until women take some responsibility for the popularity of women's sports, they'll remain marginalised. Why on earth women prefer the drivel that are soap operas to watching a game is beyond me.

Good point. There's too much pressure on the men in trying to make women's football popular. It's fake and reeks of modern feminism.

If the football is that good, then let the women follow it. If they're not interested, then why should we be? We've got our own football, ta very much.

That's an interesting cultural difference, then. In the States, a lot of women are very into sports. They might not all follow it quite as closely as their male counterparts (able to name every player, break down tactics and the like), but I'd say that most of the women I know at the very least have a favorite team, know their own players, watch/go to games, etc. Basketball is enormous where I live, and almost the entire city is mad about the local team. Even the women's team regularly draws 5-9,000 fans to games (the men's team consistently gets 24,000 for every single game).

The thing that really stood out for me was that they didn't just go to one type of sports game, they generally went to two or three. I agree, they weren't quite as into it as the guys, with one exception, but they certainly knew who the players were and how good they're teams were compared to others in the league.

At first I thought they were going due to 'male' influence, but when you have two going together with no male accompaniment, or going with out their bf, you kinda know they actually like watching the games.

I think women's popularity in tennis and athletics is mainly due to the fact that more women watch those two sports in general.

I was quite impressed by the women's footy last year. The problem though is that the games tend to be attended by school kids and you can hear their screeching through the telly. The olympic footy crowds were god-awful and crowds at womens footy tend to be 10 times more annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.