How interested are you in the womens team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I would follow Eveton's women soccer team:
alexgreenwood-3814997.jpg7

I like to watch the pinnacle of sports, and that happens to always be the men. Watching the womens' version of any sport just feels like dropping to the amateur level of the mens' version.

In terms of just focussing on Everton: my team is Everton Football Club. I'll follow them to the grave. But I don't really follow all the extensions of it: the reserves, the youth team, the seniors, the womens team.

I think if you are the sort of fan who also follows the secondary teams of the extended football family, then it feels natural that you'd also follow the womens' team. Good luck to ya (and the girls). The secondary teams need support to help their development, which will ultimately help Everton FC as a whole.

But me personally, I'll just stick to the Everton I know. The Main Event. Life is short and there's plenty other things out there too.

I'm all about equality.

For me to watch you playing football though, there also has to be quality. I don't like watching England beat San Marino 6-0, because the quality of the players and the football on display is terrible.

I went to a few games at the women's World Cup. I was really looking forward to it, since i'd heard so much about how the game was improving. It was, a few moments aside, on a par with a lower-league game.

Having said that, I also went to see the New York Red Bulls play 4 years or so ago when Altidore played for them. The level was also pretty terrible.

I was never a great footballer, but when I see goalkeepers flapping, players not knowing how to break (or pull off) an offside trap, not seeing clear through balls that would open up a game, mis-hitting passes, playing a ball into the opposition's midriff under no pressure, or just plain old SLOW SLOW SLOW play, it bores me to tears and frsustrated me that this is considered anything other than amateur level. I'd rather have a game on Pro Evo.

Last edited:
Tricky one this, it needs to be entertaining, not necessarily skillful, although the two do sometimes go hand in hand.

Good example would be Netball. Massive over here, especially between NZ and Australia, gets prime time coverage on Sky, big build up etc. Thing is, in warm up games you regularly see provincial women's teams play their men's teams, and get beaten, which makes you wonder why men's Netball isn't given the coverage, seeing as they're technically better?

I guess it comes down to marketing and money, that's what sport is these days thanks to us the paying public funding it, the majority clearly don't want to see it so we don't get it.

80% of women need more exercise? Why can't they be inspired by males? I watch women's tennis/netball/hockey, even athletics, and can be inspired by their feats, so why not the other way around?

You guys didn't watch Canada vs. USA at the Olympics or Japan vs. USA in the world cup? Probably two of the most entertaining games I've ever watched, male or female.

I agree the quality isn't at high standard for most teams (as much as it kills me to say the USA play some good stuff), there is a massive divide between the top 6ish countries and the rest the of world in terms of skill. All the teams below are really just athletes and don't have great technique. However I do believe that with more time that womens game will be popular and a great way to watch some matches while mens leagues are out for the summer.

I look at the effect that the Canadian's women's team has had on people since the last world cup (they played horribly but Sinclair turned into a superstar and national hero) and its unbelievable. I would honestly say the womens team is more popular than the mens team (granted the men are terrible). The quality of the game is improving more and getting more popular as these incredible players like Sinclair, Marta, Necib, Sawa, Rapinoe, Wambach, and Morgan get the credit they deserve. I've only seen a little bit of Duggan but I think she has a lot of potential to become a sort of English Sinclair.

Long story short, progress is being made. If you want to watch some good womens teams then look at the top national teams not the club teams.

It's impossible to follow or watch Everton Ladies when you're across the pond, unfortunately.

Not that I'd follow them religiously anyway, but it'd be good to catch a game once in a while. No can do, unfortunately.

That's kind of it isn't it? No idea how many of you fellas have daughters or nieces etc. but I'd want mine to have some decent role models in the sporting world that aren't simply getting air time for some old bloke to perve on them.

Why is it assumed that men who perve are old?

As for following Everton Ladies, I take an interest if they're in the news, but they rarely are and it's hard to keep track of what they're doing.

It's the same with the reserves. I never see any results and they're never mentioned on GOT.

No wonder men are more tired, and increase in suicide. We are doing more housework, as they have now been given sport to play ffs.

Right, if a woman had huge mams and the ball got stuck in between them and she ran into the goal would it count?

Was just thinking about the first bullet on the Beeb though about 80% of women not getting enough exercise. There's this perception that you can't achieve success (commercially) as a female athlete unless you're physically attractive.

Kinda sad isn't it?

Commercially, the same is true about men as well though. Most top footballers have a team of stylists to make their image as marketable as possible. There's even people saying that the only reason Real Madrid only sold Ozil because Bale has a more marketable face (I thought he's a bit of a munter personally). Would David Beckham have made anywhere near as much money as he did if he was ginger?

Status
Not open for further replies.