Striker Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would raise an insignificant fund at the cost of weakening the depth of the squad. Not a good move IMHO. The money we need for signing a prem-quality striker won't be raised just by selling the likes of Gueye, Vellios and Heitinga. Look at Spurs: the way to re-arm effectively is to make a big profit on the sale of a decent player.

How is it weakening us when we never use the three mentioned? We need to keep core players. I think if we could shift those we'd have a decent fund with their wages gone also.

Kurt time will take its toll and when kenwright sends us to the championship eventually don't say I didn't tell you so

Hey, you know what, I agree in principle with what you're saying.....it's just you don't have to say it in every single post you make mate.... We get it by now...you don't like bill, that's fine...most of us on here I would guess feel the same frustrations, it just gets tedious reading the same thing every other post...well it does to me anyway.

How is it weakening us when we never use the three mentioned? We need to keep core players. I think if we could shift those we'd have a decent fund with their wages gone also.

Firstly, We don't CURRENTLY use them because we have better options in the squad - that won't ALWAYS be the case. Distin, for instance, will eventually retire and Duffy, on previous performances, might be earmarked as his replacement. Vis a vis Jagielka and Stones. That's why teams develop younger players. And secondly, no-one wants them mate.

We could get their wages off the books by shifting them at firesale prices, but what kind of a fund would that generate for the transfer fee itself? What price do you realistically see Gueye fetching? Or Duffy? If the rumours have any substance, we've been trying to shift Heitinga for over a year but no-one wants him. I doubt you'd currently get £5m for all three combined, and what sort of wages do you think Gueye and Duffy are on? I don't think they're on a significant wedge, compared to Heitinga. You might free up £150k per week, max. And incidentally, I think we'd be well advised to keep hold of Duffy - our defence is not a youthful group - and Vellios, who we often forget is still U21.

Alternatively, if we hold out for a decent price for Fellaini we could generate a much bigger transfer fund (I have stated over and over that any bid less than £30m should be rejected), and remove Felli's £75k a week from the payroll. I'd have no quarrel with shifting Gueye and Heitinga in addition, to free up maybe another £100k a week off the payroll, but the idea that this would generate anything more than about £3m in transfer fees is fanciful.

thing is about hernandez, if utd bid for felli again, which is likely, whats to stop us saying, err ya know what £10m and him and its done, next pick the phone up get barry on loan, spend 8m on Mccarthy lid, overall a stronger team and sneakily gets us out of the standard liege sell on fee too lol

Firstly, We don't CURRENTLY use them because we have better options in the squad - that won't ALWAYS be the case. Distin, for instance, will eventually retire and Duffy, on previous performances, might be earmarked as his replacement. Vis a vis Jagielka and Stones. That's why teams develop younger players. And secondly, no-one wants them mate.

We could get their wages off the books by shifting them at firesale prices, but what kind of a fund would that generate for the transfer fee itself? What price do you realistically see Gueye fetching? Or Duffy? If the rumours have any substance, we've been trying to shift Heitinga for over a year but no-one wants him. I doubt you'd currently get £5m for all three combined, and what sort of wages do you think Gueye and Duffy are on? I don't think they're on a significant wedge, compared to Heitinga. You might free up £150k per week, max. And incidentally, I think we'd be well advised to keep hold of Duffy - our defence is not a youthful group - and Vellios, who we often forget is still U21.

Alternatively, if we hold out for a decent price for Fellaini we could generate a much bigger transfer fund (I have stated over and over that any bid less than £30m should be rejected), and remove Felli's £75k a week from the payroll. I'd have no quarrel with shifting Gueye and Heitinga in addition, to free up maybe another £100k a week off the payroll, but the idea that this would generate anything more than about £3m in transfer fees is fanciful.

Nope, there's nothing there ^^^ that punctures my argument. We dont play them at all and wont play them either. They'll get no game time at Everton apart from a couple of halfs between them in the whole of this upcoming season. A plague would have to hit the club to up their game time. And the valuations you place on them for fees are probably right, so you're agreeing with my figure on the pot we could expect from their sale (and they would shift if they were dropped rock bottom). Their total wages would be about what (guessing) 60K pw? So that'd save roughly 3M p.a. More than enough for a punt at another striker.

thing is about hernandez, if utd bid for felli again, which is likely, whats to stop us saying, err ya know what £10m and him and its done, next pick the phone up get barry on loan, spend 8m on Mccarthy lid, overall a stronger team and sneakily gets us out of the standard liege sell on fee too lol

Like this.

Have not read through the above but I take it this is mostly in response to Kone's blunt performance last night?

I will reserve judgment for a spell yet. Hopefully he will shake that one off and notch early in the next game. If we get a wad for Baines and/or Felli I would buy Benteke with it. Failing that Defoe.

What makes you think we’d get £30m for Fellaini? Didn’t Utd bid less than that for him and Baines! I think we have to accept that Fellaini may not generate the mass of funds we had hoped. I’d rather we kept Fellaini until after the World Cup, his valuation is unlikely to go down and if he has a good tournament it could finally go up. I doubt his performances would dip too much with him not getting the move he wanted because he needs to be in top form to start for Belgium given they have a pretty competitive midfield.

I’d rather we sold Oviedo, Naismith, Heitinga, Gueye even if it has to be on the cheap just to free up money to get a striker in. You could get maybe £5m for the lot of them and save yourself about £120k per week in the process. None of those 4 are good enough to stay at Everton long term anyway.

To be honest in terms of a striker if Lukaku isn’t going to play at Chelsea and they sign Eto, I’d try and get him in on loan, or even Ba if they won’t let Lukaku move. Chelsea are unlikely to keep Eto, Ba, Torres and Lukaku on the wage bill when they really only play with 1 striker anyway.

Have not read through the above but I take it this is mostly in response to Kone's blunt performance last night?

I will reserve judgment for a spell yet. Hopefully he will shake that one off and notch early in the next game. If we get a wad for Baines and/or Felli I would buy Benteke with it. Failing that Defoe.

In part it is mate, in part a long standing concern about not having a top class slotter here who can get the goals the chances we create deserve, think personally people like Benteke are out of are league mate though, when he leaves Villa it will be to the likes of chelsea, city etc

Just a hypothetical and it would never happen so guess a bit pointless, but would anyone take torres on loan with the lump of his wages payed for by chelsea?

What makes you think we’d get £30m for Fellaini? Didn’t Utd bid less than that for him and Baines! I think we have to accept that Fellaini may not generate the mass of funds we had hoped. I’d rather we kept Fellaini until after the World Cup, his valuation is unlikely to go down and if he has a good tournament it could finally go up. I doubt his performances would dip too much with him not getting the move he wanted because he needs to be in top form to start for Belgium given they have a pretty competitive midfield.

I’d rather we sold Oviedo, Naismith, Heitinga, Gueye even if it has to be on the cheap just to free up money to get a striker in. You could get maybe £5m for the lot of them and save yourself about £120k per week in the process. None of those 4 are good enough to stay at Everton long term anyway.

To be honest in terms of a striker if Lukaku isn’t going to play at Chelsea and they sign Eto, I’d try and get him in on loan, or even Ba if they won’t let Lukaku move. Chelsea are unlikely to keep Eto, Ba, Torres and Lukaku on the wage bill when they really only play with 1 striker anyway.

Good post, I don't think we have seen enough of Oviedo to know how good he really is, he seems a good player.
A loan move for Lukaku or Ba could make our season

Status
Not open for further replies.