Zonal marking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody minds "zonal marking" when players simply head away crosses at the near post zone.

To dismiss it as new fangled or "arty-farty" is to massively misunderstand modern football.

We're just sh1te at it, as others have said, when it is done properly it's fine.

I mind zonal marking when the whole concept is to just let players get a run at you whilst you try in vain to keep you zone, which you've definitely forgotten, clear.

I mind zonal marking when the whole concept is to just let players get a run at you whilst you try in vain to keep you zone, which you've definitely forgotten, clear.
Well yes, but that's what I was saying.

When it's good it works fine, but when applied poorly, like on Saturday, it looks amateur.

Zonal marking isn't the problem, how we do zonal marking under Dyche is the problem.

Don't get me started on throw ins, no matter whether we're taking them or defending them I'm always worried. We've been useless at them for years.

Any system is a good system if you have the players to fit it. I would rather the manager looked at our strengths and play to them, rather than have the team play in a way they are clearly not capable of doing.

1 EZM.jpg

Maybe they've gone over the stats and realise Zonal is better? I've never liked it. Man to man marking with 2 men on the posts is what I'd go for if it was up to me.

I agree.

That said, we had a man on the post on Saturday and he had the “assist” for their first goal 😞

You sometimes get the feeling that our players get overwhelmed by being surrounded by trees and just forget it is part of a forest.

The problem is that our players are coached to believe that by simply occupying their “zone” then they’ve done their job. They are so thick that they don’t factor in a travelling ball and opposition players actually making movements in the box so that they move from one “zone” into another.

The problem is that our players are coached to believe that by simply occupying their “zone” then they’ve done their job. They are so thick that they don’t factor in a travelling ball and opposition players actually making movements in the box so that they move from one “zone” into another.
That's exactly how I see it.

The theory is great. Get a player to mark a zone as their responsibility. But, the player has to understand that the game actually moves and they have to react. Their 'zone' isn't a 3m x 3m square on the pitch, it is subject to a bit of movement.

Our players are just a bit thick.

Dyche will die on this sword. Saturday was just pathetic. I don't get 'zonal' one bit.

Zonal marking gives the opposition the Advantage.

If certain players have certain areas to attack/defend.

After a corner or two they could say… right , young is crap in the air… and then their biggest threat just attacks that space.

You’re better off going man to man with two players on the post.

Zonal marking isn't the problem, how we do zonal marking under Dyche is the problem.

Don't get me started on throw ins, no matter whether we're taking them or defending them I'm always worried. We've been useless at them for years.

Mate we have heard the it’s not zonal marking but how we do it from Silva and he persisted with it and we literally looked like we would concede from every set piece.

It looked like the oppositions could score whenever a goal was needed.

Same with bobby too

Status
Not open for further replies.