2023/24 Youssef Chermiti

….its a weird bit of business spending £15m on a player who looks a long way from being any use. For £15m in our position we need players who can influence football matches immediately.

Maupay, Beto and Chermiti have been brought in for circa £50m, surely we could’ve spent the money better.
This wouldn’t be a talking point if we didn’t have 10 points taken away from us.

This wouldn’t be a talking point if we didn’t have 10 points taken away from us.

….we’re strapped for cash and we spunk £15m on a striker who looks nowhere near ready, with doubts over him ever being ready. We also spend £25m on another striker, it suggests there’s no planning in place here.

i don’t mind signing promising youngsters because they are usually low cost so low risk but £15m is not that category.

….we’re strapped for cash and we spunk £15m on a striker who looks nowhere near ready, with doubts over him ever being ready. We also spend £25m on another striker, it suggests there’s no planning in place here.

i don’t mind signing promising youngsters because they are usually low cost so low risk but £15m is not that category.
Who has doubts of him never being ready? What is this being based on?

Who expected him to make a contribution this season?

Signing both says they don’t think he’s ready.

If we were a mid table club no one would be talking about this.

But we're not?

….my point is, spending £15m on a ‘project‘ like him when we have limited funds and no effective back-up striker doesn’t make sense.

I have my doubts about him ever being ready. I understand he’s young and inexperienced but I like to see a sign of quality, just one ‘that’ll do me’ moment but I’ve not seen anything to indicate he’s worth that amount of investment. I also wondered why other clubs were not in for him given Portugal is a well-scouted league and why Sporting spent £25m on Gyokeres when they had this kid coming through.

I think this deal will tell us lots about Thelwell, I’ll be chuffed and the first to congratulate him if the boy is a success.

….my point is, spending £15m on a ‘project‘ like him when we have limited funds and no effective back-up striker doesn’t make sense.

I have my doubts about him ever being ready. I understand he’s young and inexperienced but I like to see a sign of quality, just one ‘that’ll do me’ moment but I’ve not seen anything to indicate he’s worth that amount of investment. I also wondered why other clubs were not in for him given Portugal is a well-scouted league and why Sporting spent £25m on Gyokeres when they had this kid coming through.

I think this deal will tell us lots about Thelwell, I’ll be chuffed and the first to congratulate him if the boy is a success.
Eggs, how much of his deal was add ons??

….its a weird bit of business spending £15m on a player who looks a long way from being any use. For £15m in our position we need players who can influence football matches immediately.

Maupay, Beto and Chermiti have been brought in for circa £50m, surely we could’ve spent the money better.
I really don't get this one. At the moment I don't see how he offers anything different than say Lewis Dobbin

looking back there were some dreadful decisions made by the board. spending 15 million when we hadn't a penny to scrape together on a player who is seemingly well off regular game time was ridiculous.

I agree unless we believe he value will appreciate. For that to happen he needs to show a bit

We need Chermiti to show he can be an able deputy by season end.

As i keep saying, we should then move Beto & DCL on and bring in someone else.

….it was a bad sign for me that they sold this lad and brought Gyokeres in.

He signed an extension and was pushed into the first team at Sporting based on starting games.

Gyokeres has proven himself to be a super player...in that league and theyve done well there in the short term.

Cant judge a player in/out from overseas yet.

Youve made that mistake with Mykolenko.

If DCL had been out injured then we would only have Beto without Chermiti.

So clearly there has been planning + with both players fees only beginning to be paid next season this season is effectively 'free'.