2023/24 Youssef Chermiti

Well this encapsulates the worst type of attitude. How dare we tell a player to do a job. To chase. To harrass. For 15 minutes. He’s only a little baby and needs a cuddle and time to do his hair and stroll around the pitch wrapped in cotton wool getting all the time and space he needs. He doesn’t need to do anything to earn his place?? Just show up?? Shocking attitude.
Yeah we shouldn't give him a fair chance so he can score a goal or anything, give him 10 min to run mindlessly after clearances lol

Yeah we shouldn't give him a fair chance so he can score a goal or anything, give him 10 min to run mindlessly after clearances lol

Ive been young and learned pretty quickly that if you don’t bust your bottom at least looking like you’re arsed then you won’t get opportunities again. We’re talking about an incredibly high level of football here, and if you can’t see any value in working hard, seeing out a must win game in our predicament then you sit on the bench and let someone else who wants it get that chance.

I honestly get your point but we’re not 4 nil up, and he needed to put a shift in to put himself in the position where he’s relied upon to see out a game. You chase down thin air if you have to.

Time will tell but honestly think what some are mistaking for laziness was actually something different.

Ask yourself why this 19yr old kid with a handful of appearances for Porto who is getting praised & rewarded for his progress go titty lipped & lazy when he gets a chance to play?

Is it more likely a 19yo kid with a handful of appearances got a set of instructions in a second language from a manager who instills a mindset of team above the individual & wanting to please the gaffer he got caught between his natural tendencies & his instructions?

Ive been young and learned pretty quickly that if you don’t bust your bottom at least looking like you’re arsed then you won’t get opportunities again. We’re talking about an incredibly high level of football here, and if you can’t see any value in working hard, seeing out a must win game in our predicament then you sit on the bench and let someone else who wants it get that chance.

I honestly get your point but we’re not 4 nil up, and he needed to put a shift in to put himself in the position where he’s relied upon to see out a game. You chase down thin air if you have to.
I see your point too but this will instill nothing in a 19 year old who's starting games for his NT (albeit youth) and scoring goals just to come here and to be instructed to, at best, chase dead air for a few minutes every other game - what a chance we're giving him hey.

Sporting did it too - a few 10-15 min cameos but then he got starts, more substantial game time, which just isn't happening here unless we have an injury crisis or something.

I see your point too but this will instill nothing in a 19 year old who's starting games for his NT (albeit youth) and scoring goals just to come here and to be instructed to, at best, chase dead air for a few minutes every other game - what a chance we're giving him hey.

Sporting did it too - a few 10-15 min cameos but then he got starts, more substantial game time, which just isn't happening here unless we have an injury crisis or something.

I mean if Dom isn’t ready next game we could always start him.

He’ll absolutely get games if he shows desire and commitment. Every top pro leaves it all on the pitch and to get starts you have to show determination. I get he’s young, new to the League and with players infront of him - but thems the brakes.

Nobody wants him to fail, - exactly the opposite but if he expects to be treated with kid gloves in the PL then defenders will eat him for brekky. Get the crowd on your side, chase lost causes and give the team something to hold onto up the pitch and he’ll get the time and space to show us what he can do.

He’ll absolutely get games if he shows desire and commitment. Every top pro leaves it all on the pitch and to get starts you have to show determination. I get he’s young, new to the League and with players infront of him - but thems the brakes.

Nobody wants him to fail, - exactly the opposite but if he expects to be treated with kid gloves in the PL then defenders will eat him for brekky. Get the crowd on your side, chase lost causes and give the team something to hold onto up the pitch and he’ll get the time and space to show us what he can do.
Missing my point - he's chased lost causes, what, 6? times this season, with the chance being given to him being 45 min against Doncaster where we setup to be beaten by Doncaster as it was our worst team/play setup of the year and his role was, once again, chase down the hoofs.

He left the game and we played like a team as we played direct and to Beto's feet, who doesn't even fall into the "good first touch for a big man" category as he's a bit meh with that.

It's not about training wheels/kids gloves or whatever - it's that this isn't a "fair chance" by any stretch of the imagination and the above vs. Doncaster will happen again. It's a stupid way to teach anyone anything.

Because I see it a lot - if this is what people genuinely believe should be done with youngsters and their management/game time, you have absolutely no right to complain when Brighton/Wolves/any other team gets a young player out. Tired of the "oh how are Brighton getting so many good players", I dunno lads, probably because they let them play and gave them a chance instead of getting them to run after shadows for 90 minutes spread over 10 games? Just a thought though.

Genuinely staggered at some of the opinions I'm reading..

I know I've not particularly been too enamored with the kid myself with what I've seen so far but I also appreciate that he's a 19 year old Portuguese lad who's been here for all of 5 minutes lol

Why are Evertonians so quick to write off young players? it's just really weird..

That might be true (European sides) but this is the premier league. I really hope the lad will come good, but I want to see more effort than I saw yesterday.

It may be the premier league but as you agree, hes not come through our system.

Telling him to charge around probably makes no sense to him and we dont even know what his instructions were.

We need to play him when were going to be on the front foot higher up the pitch. Then he will do well i think.

Beto should be the one doing the job Chermiti was asked to do, hes well suited to that role.

….i think that’s a fair comment, he’s certainly been brought up in a different culture but I’d still like him to display basic central striker skills when the ball is played up to him. I’m not giving up on him, he’s a fine size but I want to see him just do something that makes me think he could be a player.

I think he has done, just not in this game.

Ive seen something about him which makes me feel hes got 'it' but i cant describe it.

As you know, im hoping he can push on and be 2nd choice by season end. So we can sell Beto.

It may be the premier league but as you agree, hes not come through our system.

Telling him to charge around probably makes no sense to him and we dont even know what his instructions were.

We need to play him when were going to be on the front foot higher up the pitch. Then he will do well i think.

Beto should be the one doing the job Chermiti was asked to do, hes well suited to that role.

I think he has done, just not in this game.

Ive seen something about him which makes me feel hes got 'it' but i cant describe it.

As you know, im hoping he can push on and be 2nd choice by season end. So we can sell Beto.

…Thelwell will be accountable for paying £40m for the two of them this summer on top of whatever Maupay cost. Thats plenty of money if none of them turns out to be effective.