2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right that we don't get to tell him what to do but I don't think the poster was doing that just saying that people will have an opinion on it and its not the same as someone on minimum wage doing the same thing. I think he's right myself. If Mina wanted to take 8 weeks paternity leave and the club didn't have a problem with it then that's great but he isn't going to get a huge amount of good will from fans if we're in relegation trouble and he's able to play but choosing not to.
Well that’s too bad for those fans, there bigger priorities in life than a job, even football. And if the Club was okay with it then I applaud them for it. I just wish if that’s the real reason for his absence that they would be honest about it. But given the lack of good will from fans when it comes to paternity leave, no wonder they may be willing to lie about it.

Well said, Brett! I was about to respond but you have said a lot of what I had in mind. But I will also add @Egil Olsen that no every women’s vagina ruptures, and no all babies are born covert in blood, urine and poop. I imagine you are yet to be a parent thus the nonsense you are posting at the moment. There is a lot more to child birth than that! And whether is a footballer, or a carpenter, every lad should have the privilege to be with their ladies during that precious time.
Ruptured vaginas, babies covered in blood, urine and poop….truly precious moments :blush:

No, they are not immune to depression, but there is a fairly clear link between mental illness and socioeconomic status. People who come from a background of poverty have a significantly higher risk - this is the case in most areas.

This group also has significant purchasing power to pay off waiting lists, and obtain the best possible and available treatment. Now I am aware that being a top athlete means a lot of pressure, and many are struggling. However, they are usually privileged. Because they usually have the opportunity to use the best therapists, do not have to wait, and they usually have a whole apparatus that takes care of their interests.

So what I wrote was obviously a bit of nonsense, but there was also some truth in it. There is a lot of [Poor language removed] in the world, but privileged football players are not the first ones I plan to march for.
Absolutely laying out straw men left, right and centre here. Who asked you to march? Just not acting like an auld da over an Insta post of a new dad and his baby would be a fine start.

Spot on, I swear some people just see money and nothing else.

I had a huge row with a blue on twitter about James & his daughter and how had not seen her for over a year....that must be hard etc, working away....this fella would not have it all all, things like "if he loved her that much, why move away from Colombia for work"......."Why doesnt he just move her here with all his money"............all the while having a photo of him and his son with "My son IS my world" on his bio....the mind boggles, how do these people function!?!?!
The notion that any amount of money can make up for missed milestones in your kids’ lives is bizarre. Some players have missed their kids’ births in favour of playing. Nice one. It absolutely shouldn’t be expected.

So what I wrote was obviously a bit of nonsense, but there was also some truth in it. There is a lot of [Poor language removed] in the world, but privileged football players are not the first ones I plan to march for.
What you have forgotten is that Mina may be a privilege player right now but he came from poverty, in one of the more impoverished areas of Colombia, in a country where black people have very little opportunities to succeed and that’s exactly what he did. He was a no one, and became a footballer thanks to his hard work and effort, because nothing was just given to him. So while he, and many footballer may be privileged at the moment, no one should disregard the effort that has taken many of them to get to where they are at.

Regardless of the status, job, sex, every person should be able to have parental leave.

Last edited:

Well said, Brett! I was about to respond but you have said a lot of what I had in mind. But I will also add @Egil Olsen that no every women’s vagina ruptures, and no all babies are born covert in blood, urine and poop. I imagine you are yet to be a parent thus the nonsense you are posting at the moment. There is a lot more to child birth than that! And whether is a footballer, or a carpenter, every lad should have the privilege to be with their ladies during that precious time.
Those words were, of course, an exaggeration. Have 3 children, and been through most of it when it comes to births.

Well that’s too bad for those fans, there bigger priorities in life than a job, even football. And if the Club was okay with it then I applaud them for it. I just wish if that’s the real reason for his absence that they would be honest about it. But given the lack of good will from fans when it comes to paternity leave, no wonder they may be willing to lie about it.
Yes there are bigger priorities in life I know that and said it in my post. I’m being serious when I say if that’s what he wanted to do then good for him. Egil is right though that being a footballer isn’t like working in a shop or a factory or an office. Would we be ok with a player getting married and going on honeymoon in the middle of the season or saying they have relatives they’d like to spend Christmas with and so they’re going to miss the busiest period of the season? Would it be ok for one of our players to ring Benitez tomorrow and say they have childcare problems so they can’t play? The answer to all of them is no and you know it is. I don’t think Mina is just not playing because he’s in paternity leave and if he is then that’s up to him but you can’t pretend being a footballer is just the same as doing a normal job because it’s not.

Those words were, of course, an exaggeration. Have 3 children, and been through most of it when it comes to births.
Then as a parent you should be more thoughtful with your exaggerations. I’m sure your missus may not approve of your insensitive description of a woman’s childbirth experience.

What you have forgotten is that Mina may be a privilege player right now but he came from poverty, in one of the more impoverish areas of Colombia, in a country where black people have very little opportunities to succeed and that’s exactly what he did. He was a no one, and became a footballer thanks to his hard work and effort, because nothing was just given to him. So while he, and many footballer may be privileged at the moment, no one should disregard the effort that has taken many of them to get to where they are at.

Regardless of the status, job, sex, every person should be able to have parental leave.
Yes, and I applaud it. However, what I meant was that Mina's job could not be compared to a normal job. It is quite common in many professions that one has to sacrifice certain things to maintain the luxurious lifestyle. If not, there might be another Colombian, coming from a poor area, who really wants the job.

Then as a parent you should be more thoughtful with your exaggerations. I’m sure your missus may not approve of your insensitive description of a woman’s childbirth experience.
I hope people do not use GOT as a source if they want precise information about childbirth. In that case, they have bigger problems. When it comes to poop, the intestine is usually pressed flat, and the body sorts itself out. But it happens that there is feces. Most women (first-time mothers) will crack a little during childbirth, some more than others (you have four degrees of it) and most people who use epidural anesthesia will urinate during childbirth. This is not controversial.

Yes, and I applaud it. However, what I meant was that Mina's job could not be compared to a normal job. It is quite common in many professions that one has to sacrifice certain things to maintain the luxurious lifestyle. If not, there might be another Colombian, coming from a poor area, who really wants the job.
You are right, it can’t be compared to a normal job and footballers have great privileges, once they achieve a level of status and success. But what you have also forgotten is that no just any other, poor Colombian or carpenter, wanting to have that lifestyle will just simply achieve it. Many of these footballers have to work hard to get there and they have already made a lot of sacrifices on their way to success. No everyone has the talent, self determination, hard work and is willing to put the sacrifice to get to do that job, that’s why some people are carpenters and no footballers. Regardless, Mina and any other footballer should have the right to be with their missus during this time, that should actually not be considered a privileged but a right.

I hope people do not use GOT as a source if they want precise information about childbirth. In that case, they have bigger problems. When it comes to poop, the intestine is usually pressed flat, and the body sorts itself out. But it happens that there is feces. Most women (first-time mothers) will crack a little during childbirth, some more than others (you have four degrees of it) and most people who use epidural anesthesia will urinate during childbirth. This is not controversial.
I agree, it is not controversial. It was the way you framed it to make it feel disgusting that a footballer, such as Mina, wanted to be there for his missus for such spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.