2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to think over the last 12 months or so Brands has had conversations about renewing - I don’t think he’s that incompetent.

My point was it’s getting harder and harder to get players to sign new contracts. They hold all the cards when they get to the last 18/12 months of their contract. Why would they sign a new contract at that point? If you’re their agent you’ll be saying wait until the summer and look at the options - other clubs will be saying sit tight and we’ll sign you on a free - money saved on transfer fee will bump up your wages and you’ll get a hefty signing on fee.

If we can’t get a player, who we could actually sell for some value, to commit to a new contract when he has two years left then he needs to be sold. Beyond that point the chances of us either getting a decent fee or him signing a new contract diminishes.
I understand all that. What I don't get is why you think it's Brands fault.

If the player doesn't want to sign he won't. And last summer there just wasn't the market to sell him for his true worth.

I’d like to think over the last 12 months or so Brands has had conversations about renewing - I don’t think he’s that incompetent.

My point was it’s getting harder and harder to get players to sign new contracts. They hold all the cards when they get to the last 18/12 months of their contract. Why would they sign a new contract at that point? If you’re their agent you’ll be saying wait until the summer and look at the options - other clubs will be saying sit tight and we’ll sign you on a free - money saved on transfer fee will bump up your wages and you’ll get a hefty signing on fee.

If we can’t get a player, who we could actually sell for some value, to commit to a new contract when he has two years left then he needs to be sold. Beyond that point the chances of us either getting a decent fee or him signing a new contract diminishes.

That is all very well, but what do you replace him with?

I understand all that. What I don't get is why you think it's Brands fault.

If the player doesn't want to sign he won't. And last summer there just wasn't the market to sell him for his true worth.
It’s his job to implement a strategy? I understand he can’t make someone sign a new deal but he’s privy to all the information about whether a player wants to renew or not or is stalling. He needs to make a call. If he can’t get a commitment with two years left on the deal then the player has to be sold. One things for sure, we won’t get close his true worth next summer or if his contract expires.

We’re really just coming down to the excuse that has been made for Brands throughout his entire time with us when it comes to selling players. It’s a difficult market and who’d want to buy our players.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to sell him, he’s starting to look like a beast. Just saying from an FFP perspective we can’t let players get into last 12 months of their contracts and risk losing them for nothing. It will have an impact on budget available to bring in new players.
See this is sensible posting, fans look at things from the fan point but Brands has to look at the business side.
Mina has pressed on this season, so it's important now, Everton have been stung before with contract extension for players who went backwards, or were injury prone, it's a big call we have to make and soon

We really need to go all out to get him tied down to a new contract. Good centre backs that we could realistically sign are few and far between, Yeri is our best central defender, our favored pairing is Yeri plus one of the others. He is a presence on the pitch and seems to be a nice lad who is popular with his team mates off the pitch.

Captain material perhaps?

We really need to go all out to get him tied down to a new contract. Good centre backs that we could realistically sign are few and far between, Yeri is our best central defender, our favored pairing is Yeri plus one of the others. He is a presence on the pitch and seems to be a nice lad who is popular with his team mates off the pitch.

Allan for me. He's communicating nonstop on the pitch, in the ref/players faces defending his team mates.

The time to have gone all out has passed, Brands must have a good idea by now whether he is going to sign a new deal or not. We just don’t know what those conversations look like.

….’he needs to be sold’ is not possible if a player refuses to be sold. As you say, the player holds the cards these days, especially the good ones.

It’s his job to implement a strategy? I understand he can’t make someone sign a new deal but he’s privy to all the information about whether a player wants to renew or not or is stalling. He needs to make a call. If he can’t get a commitment with two years left on the deal then the player has to be sold. One things for sure, we won’t get close his true worth next summer or if his contract expires.

We’re really just coming down to the excuse that has been made for Brands throughout his entire time with us when it comes to selling players. It’s a difficult market and who’d want to buy our players.
Any player can sit out his contact and there is nothing that can be done about that. He could be isolated from the team but then you lose a good player from the squad and an expensive one at that.

Mina may be thinking of moving on or he may just be positioning himself for a better deal.

It probably proves that Brands has done well by signing a player that other clubs would now like to sign.
He came from Barcelona so it was a bit of a coup to get him in the first place, we were not in a position to make contractual conditions... Barca even inserted a release clause afaik.

….’he needs to be sold’ is not possible if a player refuses to be sold. As you say, the player holds the cards these days, especially the good ones.
If the player won’t sign a new deal and won’t agree to any transfer because he’s going to run down his contract, then that’s fair and obviously Brands not at fault in this scenario.

If the player won’t sign a new deal and won’t agree to any transfer because he’s going to run down his contract, then that’s fair and obviously Brands not at fault in this scenario.
I don’t think the club / brands are entirely helpless if indeed a player was believed to be intending to run down his contract. I’m pretty sure if they want to get something for what is ultimately on of the clubs ‘assets’ they can find away that benifits the club. If they didn’t every player would move on a bosman. They do have to make the call at an appropriate time to do whatever needs doing to shift them or make the call that that it’s in the clubs best interests to accept them leaving on a free or nominal sum with 6m left so they have them for the remainder of their contract (or most of it).
schniederlin maybe is a recent example, and while the rumoured £2m fee is pretty poor for someone we paid £20m for, it’s better than nothing had he hung on another 6 or 12 months

Status
Not open for further replies.