2020/21 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I like him and feel he brings a lot to the team, but no excuses for an ordinary performance last night. Cost us a goal, but a terrific block on Kane might have stopped another.
Was one of those games were there was quite a few individual errors but also thought every player put a huge shift in. In general Mina has been superb this season though

Last edited:
I like mina and think he's a solid defender but would look to sell on this summer if we can get a decent offer and put the money towards a quality right back.

I can’t see any of the centre half’s being sold, unless any want to leave.

Holgate and Godfrey are young and can cover both of the full back positions.

Keane and Mina have had their best season for the club this year.

All of the players look to be happy and understand the purpose of being tested / rotated every now an again.

Branthwaite will probably go out on loan again.

The players are starting to look like a “ tight unit “ again, which we haven’t really seen since the Moyes era

All of the players look to be happy and understand the purpose of being tested / rotated every now an again.

The players are starting to look like a “ tight unit “ again, which we haven’t really seen since the Moyes era
Yeah no point messing round the CB's its an area of strength and we should keep it as such. I like all of them

We need to get smarter about selling players imo
I don't think we'll have the money available to invest in all the weaker areas of the squad and mina will only have 2 years left this summer

We need to get smarter about selling players imo
I don't think we'll have the money available to invest in all the weaker areas of the squad and mina will only have 2 years left this summer
Without a shadow of a doubt.

Plenty of NFL teams operate on the basis that it's better to let a player go a season too soon than to hold on to them season too long... and they're right. Of course their salary cap system makes roster management and contract management a much bigger deal in the minds of the fans, whereas in football we still see people brushing these subjects aside with comments like "Is it your money? no? So what are you worried about!"

What makes it more interesting in Mina's case will be the impact Covid may have on contract negotiations - if we can get him to extend his existing deal for a couple of years on a more modest wage than he would previously have sought, then that would be an option to consider.

Plenty of NFL teams operate on the basis that it's better to let a player go a season too soon than to hold on to them season too long... and they're right.

100% this... Wenger and Ferguson shocked us with early sales when players still had some good years ahead. But it’s a cliff. Once they start to decline the value drops significantly..

for me though the CB I would sell is Keane. Given his age his value will drop sooner than Mina’s

100% this... Wenger and Ferguson shocked us with early sales when players still had some good years ahead. But it’s a cliff. Once they start to decline the value drops significantly..

for me though the CB I would sell is Keane. Given his age his value will drop sooner than Mina’s

Agree with this. I like Mina, he had some poor moments last night but it wasn't the easiest of games. The defence has been rotated over the last few games and it's had a negative impact on how stable we look for sure. We looked far better with a settled back 4/5 than we have with rotation. But I can see why it's been rotated.

I personally think that Mina gives us more than the other centre backs. He's not Godfrey quick but he's not Keane slow. He's excellent at picking out crosses, high or low, he's a lot more physical than the other centre backs and I'd imagine he'd be a nightmare to play against. He looks awkward at times due to his size and I think people hold that against him unfairly.

I actually want to add that if they were the same age I would keep Keane. For me he has been the best CB this season with consistency and his range of passing has been a revelation. Mina still throws in silly challenges in dangerous areas but has been showing much more recently in terms of the taking the ball up field.

personally I don’t think Carlo will feel the need to sell either.. doesn’t have an issue with a 28 year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.