Yakubu enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting, but then these two are different players. I would expect AJ to score more goals coming off Yakubu, not the other way around.

But whats all this talk about Yakubu having a record 2nd to Henry?

yeah i know! thats what i thought prehaps it was southgate starting that rumour to bump the price up.;)

go on then, lets play ball...

milan and kaka

barca and messi

everton and rooney

still bollocks?

To be pedantic yes, Milan are financed by Berlesconi and his media company, Barca are financed by their membership. It's Juventus and Real Madrid that are financed by Fiat and the Spanish government :)

On the subject of AJ, I had my reservations when we signed him, not because he was a bad player, I don't think he is, but equally I don't think he's world class. Come to think of it I'm not really sure he's international class either. At the time he was a decent signing and a definate improvement on what we had at the time but I really don't see him leading the line when we lift the title, I think if we're to get to that stage then we'd need a better striker.

That's all pie in the sky though. At the moment he'll probably do us just fine and is suffering for two main reasons. Firstly he's not our penalty taker so doesn't get the regular goals that he was accustomed to at Palace. Secondly he's played his entire career with us without a top, experienced strike partner. This has often forced us to play a certain way with him taking the ball in wide areas allowing midfielders to get into the box. Obviously that won't help him to score goals but it helps the team tremendously.

Now this doesn't excuse his slack finishing and I'm not sure he'll ever be a 20 a season guy for us (without the aforementioned penalties anyway), he just isn't clinical enough for that because we don't create enough chances to afford to miss a few before he scores. Hopefully Yakubu will help and if both of them get around the 15 mark each season that will do us fine because the likes of Arteta and Cahill normally chip in with around 10 each as well so, as last season showed, goal scoring as a team isn't that big a problem.

A good summation Bruce. I have felt that he can get a few goals but he is a bit lightweight and seemingly unable to stand up to the challenges of defenders. As to him chasing wide for balls, cannot blame him for having to do that, one must look at the tactics that are being employed and question them.

On the subject of AJ, I had my reservations when we signed him, not because he was a bad player, I don't think he is, but equally I don't think he's world class. Come to think of it I'm not really sure he's international class either. At the time he was a decent signing and a definate improvement on what we had at the time but I really don't see him leading the line when we lift the title, I think if we're to get to that stage then we'd need a better striker.

That's all pie in the sky though. At the moment he'll probably do us just fine and is suffering for two main reasons. Firstly he's not our penalty taker so doesn't get the regular goals that he was accustomed to at Palace. Secondly he's played his entire career with us without a top, experienced strike partner. This has often forced us to play a certain way with him taking the ball in wide areas allowing midfielders to get into the box. Obviously that won't help him to score goals but it helps the team tremendously.

Now this doesn't excuse his slack finishing and I'm not sure he'll ever be a 20 a season guy for us (without the aforementioned penalties anyway), he just isn't clinical enough for that because we don't create enough chances to afford to miss a few before he scores. Hopefully Yakubu will help and if both of them get around the 15 mark each season that will do us fine because the likes of Arteta and Cahill normally chip in with around 10 each as well so, as last season showed, goal scoring as a team isn't that big a problem.

Spot on Bruce, you said everything I wanted to. Now we have to get realistic, we need to play our new signings for the next game. I expect to see jag, baines, manny and yak in our next game. No better time to slot them in than now. No point having 25 million worth of talent on the bench.

oops I'm getting carried away. Might be due to the confident assurance that both will definitely sign for us from members of this forum.

well remember just because they are in the stadium doesn't mean they will make it to the signing table or pick up the scarf.

To be honest, if we miss out on both, we'll probably endure the course of the seasons with patches of good and bad runs hoping that the good last longer than the bad ones. Afterall we're playing with the same side as last seasons.

The result and performance today brought me down to earth from the dizzy height after our win against spurs. We have to be realistic, we're not guaranteed the best of the rest outside top 4. We still need improvement in playing staff in order to make it certain nevermind breaking into top 4.

No we just need to bed the signings in. Which we have made 3 of who haven't really been given the chance to make the impact, plus 2 likely signings who will also make the difference.

That 5 out of 11. Almost changing half of the team. It's a big change to the team and maybe the way we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.