Xmas/New Year period and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
As this "holiday" period comes to a close, what Everton matches or events stand out in your memory from this time of year in years gone by?

Does anyone remember the Xmas day games that were followed by the return fixture on Boxing Day?

For me, I remember we took one of my cousins to one of his first games on Boxing Day 1995, won 4-0 v Middlesborough and Juninho went down like a sack of spuds.

One stand out holiday fuxture for me is when we beat City at home on Boxing Day 2004.

My mother had died at the end of November and this was my first match since her death.

And just to add to my sense of rejoining the world, I also had twenty quid on Kicking King in the King George at Kempton Park ;)

Man Utd 2-6 Horror show 70s I think..

Jesus I recall that game.

We came unto that game on top of a long unbeaten run, stretching back to August.

We were locked with Forest at the top of the league and confidence was sky high because United weren't going well.

What a shocker :(

Next game up was away to Forest, I think, and we drew 1-1 courtesy of a Trevor Ross penno.

We came unto that game on top of a long unbeaten run, stretching back to August.

We were locked with Forest at the top of the league and confidence was sky high because United weren't going well.

Next game up was away to Forest, I think, and we drew 1-1 courtesy of a Trevor Ross penno.

Seem to remember we played Leeds and got gubbed in the same week...or did I imagine that??

Seem to remember we played Leeds and got gubbed in the same week...or did I imagine that??

No....you are right.

We played Leeds in between United and Forest now you come to mention it.

They beat us.

One point from six (the two points per win era) was the beginning of the end of our title challenge.

No....you are right.

We played Leeds in between United and Forest now you come to mention it.

They beat us.

One point from six (the two points per win era) was the beginning of the end of our title challenge.

Yeah, remember it now...pretty evil at Elland Road in them days too..nightmare walk to the station if I recall.
We had a bloody good team that year, bit unlucky was Mr Lee

Yeah, remember it now...pretty evil at Elland Road in them days too..nightmare walk to the station if I recall.
We had a bloody good team that year, bit unlucky was Mr Lee

Indeed.

One of the pleasing aspects in recent years is hiw the Gordon Lee era us now being recognised as a decent period in Everton history.

We won nowt but we were title contenders in two of his three full seasons and he had the team playing great football in the late 70s

Then lost to Leeds in QF of league cup and Boro in 4th round of FA and lost to Wolves.... all January and early Feb. cracking side, did not how to get over the line.

Beat Arsenal home before the Forest game then beat Villa 4-1 in FA cup with Clive Thomas at Goodison !!!!!

:(

If memory serves me correctly, Forest had mauled Manure the week before at OT and we caught the backlash :(

As this "holiday" period comes to a close, what Everton matches or events stand out in your memory from this time of year in years gone by?

Does anyone remember the Xmas day games that were followed by the return fixture on Boxing Day?

For me, I remember we took one of my cousins to one of his first games on Boxing Day 1995, won 4-0 v Middlesborough and Juninho went down like a sack of spuds.
That year was boss, we beat Leeds 2-0 as well.

I remember the Newcastle game on 30th December 2006 - we won 3-0. It was memorable for several reasons.

- Obafemi Martins put a penalty into Row Z at 1-0
- The fat geordie beer monsters filling both tiers of the south Bullens... mostly topless and singing louder than the entire home crowd even at 3-0
- Phil Neville actually scoring a blinder.
- Newcastle's ginger haired defender called Ramage, who was shocking and got raped by our 'cheebz, who himself got 2 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.