Xmas/New Year period and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
As this "holiday" period comes to a close, what Everton matches or events stand out in your memory from this time of year in years gone by?

Does anyone remember the Xmas day games that were followed by the return fixture on Boxing Day?

For me, I remember we took one of my cousins to one of his first games on Boxing Day 1995, won 4-0 v Middlesborough and Juninho went down like a sack of spuds.

When we were on a massive unbeaten run, heading for top 4, god awful Sunderland at home, Osman crap back pass, Howard takes the forward down.

1-0 loss.

Merry Christmas.
Were down to ten men and still had something like 22 attempts on goal? Sakes was that frustrating.

Kevin Sheedy destroying Leicester City end of 1986.
Battering Sunderland 5-0. Met my Sunderland supporting mate and his lad and took them in the Winslow wearing their team shirts!!!! Got a great welcome from the Blues present!
A couple of great 3rd round of the. cup played very early Jan like Leeds away 1985(?) Stoke away 1984.

But mainly have disappointing memories of Xmas and New year matches.

Remember Christmas 1993 for all the wrong reasons...

HK had resigned following his 2nd spell and Jimmy Gabriel was in charge as caretaker while we looked for a new manager (ending up with walker!)

During Gabriel's 6 or so games in charge we lost ever single one without scoring a single goal, this was December 93. I remember a particularly grim game on Boxing Day against Sheffield weds where we lost 2-0 in front of about 16,000, with Carlton Palmer scoring with a header from about 20 yards out.

We eventually scored in the first game of 94 at chelsea, but still ended up losing 4-2. That was the last game of Gabriel's reign and in came walker. The rest is history...

Status
Not open for further replies.